TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:20 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: front end
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:26 pm 

Has anyone here tried strapping down the front end of their swift for at the track??? im thinking about trying to strap it down at the drag strip to get a little better traction. My car likes to sway a bit between gears and when i have to lift and i dont like that feeling while i still spin. I plan on bigger front and rear sway bars in the near future but for now lets run with this idea. Next time out to the track after and e85 tune i plan on running some slicks and trying to do mid 8s in the 1/8. lets hear some input or ideas..... Thanks Stephen

Post subject: Re: front end
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:50 pm 

Ya know i was just thinking about this today, Ok now stay with me here, in rwd camaros and mustangs with stock rear leaf springs they have the bar bolted to the axle pointing to the front of the car so when the pinion try's to walk up the ring gear the rear end cant twist backwards inducing wheel hop by the tires breaking loose and gaining traction again.

Now back to our cars, when power is put down the front of the car lifts. what about bolting a c channel piece to the lower control arm facing in, so when the power is put down the bar will rest between the two bolts holding the front control arm mount. so the control arm cant go down any further than level. there for putting all the weight of the front of the car back to the front wheels.

What do ya think about that? Good Bad Plausible?

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:24 am 

i know the 82 up camaro firebirds are coil spring rear and use a tourqe are that bolts to the trans to lift the car not sure how we could make that work for us though

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:35 am 
Teamswift Racer

Firstly sway bars only help transfer weight from one side of the car to the other so they don't do anything in a straight line.

As for strapping down the front of the car, you do it and report back to us after you've tried it at the drag strip. 8) :poke:

I would however suggest getting some coil spring spacers for the rear springs like the off road guys use.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:17 pm 

First off so you understand why i said sway bars is from torque steer and all the car sways side to side bad. That is way i say sway bars. And i put the sedan sprngs in the rear so its up decent but ill see what happens with the straps then maybe some spacers. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:16 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Torque steer is caused by your engine, chassis and alighnment, swaybars have almost zero influence.

A couple of points

Heavy duty engine mounts and pay close attention to lower arm mounting points moving under load.
If you have adjustable shocks then wind the bump down on the front and turn the rebound up to maximum, this will help 'stick' the front end, do the opposite on the back, full hard compression and no rebound, this prevents weight transfer to the rear, it's the same theory as soft springs in the front and hard springs in the back, you need the soft springs to help the front wheels hook up but the rear needs to be hard to prevent weight transferring backwards, adjustable shocks are much more flexible.

There are lots of little things you can do if you are only driving your car on the street and occassional drags, minimal camber for example, it increases your footprint size, my drag times have all been during our local circuit racing days so it's not possible for me to dial out 4' negative camber and redo alighnment in the middle of the day, so hence my 60ft times suck.

Run as much castor as you can, helps straight line stability.

As for tyres, use a soft dot rated tyre or a drag slick, circuit racing slicks just don't hook up, too hard and the rubber compounds just don't mix well with the drag rubber and vht.

Any 1/4 mile tracks near you? love to know what your trap speed is with 15psi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:04 pm 

1/4 mile is like a 2hr drive but i will go at some point the sway bars would just be for my body roll that is excessive and making me wobble. And i have traction bars that i need to tighten to help the control arms...