TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:33 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:47 pm 

Is there any horse power gain after removing EGR valve system? Or even just capping it off? I understand some state laws say you need to have one.

I live in texas and would only really need to hve it to pass emissions. Probably wouldn't even need it the as the car really runs pretty clean. Seeing as it has a lawnmover engine.

Anyway. I capped off my EGR today and seems to be running better than whe it has a leak. That's for damn sure.

Just wondering if the better exhaust flow is addig more HP. Seems to be a bit more peppy. Even over when he EGR was working propely.

1996 Geo Tracker 1.6l 16v 4cyl 1590cc (Daily)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:37 pm 

I noticed the same when I disconnected the egr on my sprint when I got it years ago, so when I re-built the engine this last summer I capped off the hole on the intake with a piece of beer can between the valve and the manifold, and completely eliminated the rest of the associated hardware, and smashed flat and folded over the stub of pipe sticking out of the exhaust. I live in the middle of nowhere in NV, so meeting emissions regulations is not a problem for me.

From the explanation of egr systems that I have found, it makes complete sense that if it is working properly it will rob power, as its purpose is to essentially pad the intake charge with unuseable gasses, effectively lowering the volumetric efficiency of the engine with the result of cleaner emissions.

took my driving test in. Was left as dead in the desert
for 10 years. Resurrected and modified to be my daily
driver and fun little toy. Ugly everywhere but under the hood!