TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:16 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:41 pm 

This is for the Sprint one liter techies!
I'm building some Sprint heads for LSR racing with the intent of racing this summer at ECTA in Wilmington, Ohio. I haven't done flow bench tests on Sprint or Metro heads for several years. I now improved the test procedures to get even better results. I now flow the ports alone with plugged valve guide holes to see what the port flows before any work is done. If a port has a flow problem by itself & you flow the complete port & valve, before separately testing the valves to start with, you don't know where the restriction is. By doing each section by itself you can find the choke area and then can figure out what to do. Some ports have humps or deflectors cast in for swirl or smog concerns. If you remove these humps or deflections, you can make the port work better or worse. We have been working with some junk heads to experiment finding which changes are to our benefit and which are not. The goal is to get the increased flow in the .150" to .300" lift range which is the most important.
The photo of my flow bench results is some info on (only) Sprint heads from 7-0-02 to 11-17-14 from tests that I've done. You will notice the flow figures got better with the new setups with port only flow before and after before the valve lift figures are measured.

BvilleTom

Attachments:
File comment: The image shows the flow test results from 07-20-02 to 11-17-14
2014 Dec Sprint Flow Bench results SM.jpg
2014 Dec Sprint Flow Bench results SM.jpg [ 145.41 KIB | Viewed 3135 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:05 pm 

Nice work Tom. Thanks for posting!

Sorry I won't be racing with you again this year. With the bike series I just don't have the time to get away. It's too bad. I have a CBR125 Honda all ready to destroy the 125/4 records.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:17 pm 
Suzuki Elder

tom, when you are in wilmington i'd like to hop down to watch the action. :wink:

i'm only about 2 hours away.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:59 am 

T3 Ragtop

We sure would like to see you when we go to Wilmington to race this spring and summer. I have followed your projects for a long time. Your experience and Metro/Sprint knowledge would be welcome.

There are two of us in the Cedar Rapids area that are hard core Metro/Sprint engine builders. We will have 2 Metros, both pretty much all out LSR cars with race only motors with a lot of homemade parts & ideas.

Bvilletom (Tom Bruch)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:30 pm 

Suprfly:

I need some of your cam advice on the choice of a race only CAM for a NA Sprint motor. This is 110 race gas motor, 13 to 15-1 compression, a tunnel ram manifold, long tube header, 9 lb. flywheel, Holley or Weber carb setup. I have even thought about changing the rocker ratio to get a quicker opening valve lift. I'm trying to keep the dynamic compression as high as possible. In all of the CAMS, I have used in 50 years of LSR racing, the best cams always just kept on pulling the the upper RPM range, they didn't just lay down at 6500 or more RPM & just stay there. The best ones were always long duration types.

What do you think? We are trying for 2 HP per Cubic inch on this motor.

BvilleTom
(Tom Bruch)
319-651-7361

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:25 pm 

Are thoes readings in cfm?

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:03 pm 

To Redneck racing:

All the air flow figures are in CFM at 10" H2O test pressure. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, was in Arizona all winter.

To T3 Ragtop:

Jim Sievers & I have our entry sent in to race LSR at Wilmington, OH June 6 & 7th, 2015 weekend with my 1991 GEO Metro. We have lowered it some with coil overs on the front & shorter springs on the back, with modified shocks, new intake manifold and header and a better tune up Also making some more air flow gains on Metro heads now,

We sure would like to see you or any other Team Swift folks.

BvilleTom

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:46 pm 

bville tom wrote:
Suprfly:

I need some of your cam advice on the choice of a race only CAM for a NA Sprint motor. This is 110 race gas motor, 13 to 15-1 compression, a tunnel ram manifold, long tube header, 9 lb. flywheel, Holley or Weber carb setup. I have even thought about changing the rocker ratio to get a quicker opening valve lift. I'm trying to keep the dynamic compression as high as possible. In all of the CAMS, I have used in 50 years of LSR racing, the best cams always just kept on pulling the the upper RPM range, they didn't just lay down at 6500 or more RPM & just stay there. The best ones were always long duration types.

What do you think? We are trying for 2 HP per Cubic inch on this motor.

BvilleTom
(Tom Bruch)
319-651-7361

Sorry Tom, I never saw this. I don't know what you've done since, but I can help there

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:15 pm 
Suzuki Elder

tom, i have the dates and i'll be in touch as we get closer so i can check my schedule. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:06 am 
Suzuki Elder

we're heading down to wilmington today to watch the running of the ohio mile/ east coast timing association event.

i'll be looking for b'ville tom and pals. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:07 pm 
Suzuki Elder

my friend dale and i motored down to the airfield to watch the ohio mile land speed timed events today. we hooked up with tom, jim, and carter and watched them break a few records with a hopped up metro g10. i caught 2 successive runs of 106 and 107 mph.

the track marshall stopped next to my mercedes and told us to get in his truck. then he took us on a tour of the track, followed a 213 mph run down the track, introduced us to dale earnhart's test driver (who was also a winston cup driver) and just generally the most friendly guy i can remember. his part time job in alabama is teaching military guys to fly helicopters.

anyway, the track marshall told me that tom bruch is a true racer and competitor. i can't imagine a higher compliment. the geo metro community was well represented by tom and jim. :wink:

we also pretty much had free access to the pit area and i was pleasantly surprised to meet jerry, the owner of diyautotuning and head megasquirt guru with his nissan. they announced the race over a low power fm radio transmission and i only had the radio in the mercedes. when i did catch a time for the megasquirt car i think it was 167 mph.

i caught some really fast runs throughout the day. a bike hit the traps at 213 mph.

the bad news is that when i checked the rules thinking that i would run my blue vert i was told that it would have to have a full roll cage to compete. the good news is that everybody told me that the car to run would be my slk230. :D

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:35 pm 

Join me in complimenting Jim Sievers on his new records with the Geo Metro 1 liter LSR Street sedan at wilmington OH mile race June 6 and 7 weekend. His 108.872 mph record with All-Motor Metro with a Metro motor and Metro head is probably one of the fastest street Metros around. He had the timing slips to back this up. The Bruch Metro set 3 records in 8 runs and is still alive. His goal is to go over 110mph.

T3Ragtop and his friend Dale came down to see us run the Metro and look over the Wilmington mile layout. It is always fun to meet people in person and put a face to the internet names.

Tom Bruch
Bvilletom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:12 pm 

Congratulations Tom and Jim. Great job of taking Metro LSR to another level. Tom I am still working on the engine we spoke about at Bonneville in '11. My life has changed a lot since we spoke. I have run out of $ to finish the work started. I was wondering though, what are you guys using for a scatter shield in your racers? I know one day my fortunes will turn around. But till then the car just sits. As always with Respect. Murf