TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:24 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:16 pm 

Hey guys,

I just ordered a set of h4 6000k hids for my car. I've got glass headlights and clear corners going in my car in the next couple of weeks. The kit is supposed to be in by tuesday this week. As soon as I get it ill take pics of it. I've got a couple question. Where have you guys mounted your ballast?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3168439

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:14 pm 

For my 87 Sprint I gave the double sided tapes a shot and mounted it on the sides of the wall. Been about a month or so and it is still intact. If anything just ziptie it to something as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:05 am 

I mounted mine in the little pocket where my window washer resivoir was and the air intake silencer was located. Good luck with HIDs in those lenses, actually better luck to oncoming traffic, lol.

Kyle

2014 BRZ Limited in WRB - The car payment

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:29 pm 

So I picked up my hids this past wednesday. I'm not sure when I'm going to get around to installing them. I will post pics of the kit later tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:25 pm 

Heres the pics of the kit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:22 pm 

So i have finally gotten around to putting my hids and glass headlights in. I will try to post pics in the next day or so from the install.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:30 am 

I am curious to see how well these are focused... I was interested in a set of HIDs, but i kept reading about the challenges with glass headlights...

Alien

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:45 am 

No Updates for this project?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:19 pm 

Angry-Alien wrote:
I am curious to see how well these are focused... I was interested in a set of HIDs, but i kept reading about the challenges with glass headlights...

Alien

Not sure which problems you speak of, as I have done HID conversion on two GTs , one with plastic head lamp and one with glass.

Glass use H4 which seem to focus more appropriately, the anger some drives from glare.

My 1990 has the glass, ones.

2010 Equator White
2000 Solara convert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 am 

wgotzman wrote:
Angry-Alien wrote:

Alien

Not sure which problems you speak of, as I have done HID conversion on two GTs , one with plastic head lamp and one with glass.

Glass use H4 which seem to focus more appropriately, the anger some drives from glare.

My 1990 has the glass, ones.

Oh... Interesting... I got the impression that the stock reflectors and lenses would make focusing these 'bulbs' difficult... I've been wanting to install a set for some time now because I am tired of the high draw low yield halogens... If someone is coming in the opposite direction with their highs on and flicker with mine, they don't notice or don't care... So I have been looking for bi-xenons... Hoping to be notices when I use those instead...

I will do some more searching....

Alien

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:12 pm 

5000k is the highest you can go legally here in my country.

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:33 pm 

any aftermarket HID kit is illegal in Canada. unless the car came factory or the headlight is setup and dot approved for HID's like some company's have come out with for some cars.

but i still run them. i like to light up the world. what i do for the oncoming drivers is i re-aim my lights down and to to the right. very few people flash me that way. and the ones that do flash me pay the price.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:49 pm 

Hmmm...What are the brands you guys have had success with... Do you think the brands/models now available on ebay are of any value? I would like to start with a 6000k kit...

Alien

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:19 am 

The ebay stuff is crap for the most part. Its hard to tell the difference between the fake and the real deal, but the good stuff would be brands like Hella, Prolumen, Helios and Philips.

Check this vid out:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPZ9-GaOvE0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:47 am 

Ok... Thanks... I'll go do some searching... Based on the vid you linked, the most crucial component is the ballast... Does this mean that bulbs are generally ok... Or is brand still essential?

Alien

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:04 am 

Well think about it like this....if your gearbox is shitty weak, it may not matter much if you use amsoil or redline gearoil compared to regular shelf stuff. The reverse is true as well, so if your gearbox is beefy, if you use weak oil, you will need to change the oil more often.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:29 am 

I see your point...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:39 am 

One more question... Have guys seen 'H3' kits that will work with the foglight housing?
The hologens pull way to many amps for my liking...

Thanks
Alien

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:19 am 
@ssclown

z34-5speed wrote:
I mounted mine in the little pocket where my window washer resivoir was and the air intake silencer was located. Good luck with HIDs in those lenses, actually better luck to oncoming traffic, lol.

Kyle

I considered mounting mine out of site boy I'm glad i did not i had a ballast go out and i had to replace it. I would recommend installing the parts so that you can get to them. I bought mine locally they ran me $80.00 they came with a one year warranty on the ballast and 6 months on the bulbs. The bulbs are not cheap .Remember DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS ON THE BULB!!!! the oils in your hands will shorten the life of the bulbs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 pm 
banned and still posting

if you want true hi/lo operation from an hid set, look into the type that use a solenoid to move the bulb forward and back. it maintains the current to the bulb but relocates the focal point to take advantage of the reflector and the optics in the lens flutings.

i didn't like the type that use an hid low beam and an auxiliary xenon incandescent as a high beam. :rock:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II