TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:00 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:08 am 

I'm a new owner of a 1994 RHD Geo Metro built for use in Los Angeles as a city vehicle. My car's underdash is pretty much gutted. No Heater/AC components at all, I assume because the pedals are right where the Heater fan motor would sit in a normal LHD model.

I know some RHD Suzuki models (Cultus?) were available outside the US, and they must have heat and air conditioning from the factory. Just curious if I could adapt the unit into my car. Can someone post up their thoughts, and pictures would help a lot.

Here's mine:

Gary
Wanted: GT Seats
1994 Geo Metro LSi 3/5
Vail, Arizona

The Green Machine

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:13 pm 
Island Inbreeder

going to need to see some picture of the engine bay wth firewall fittings

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
G-Whiz wrote:
I don't let just anyone work on my cars. Like the saying goes, "You don't let another man mess with your wife, so why would you let him mess with your car".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:19 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Judging by the squared sided support for the pedal box I presume it's been converted from LHD.

Remember the original swift was designed as a RHD car to begin with :lol: heater box should be the same and same for the aircon, blower might be different though, I would just troll the fs section on redlinegti.com or suzuki4u for original rhd heating and aircon components from OZ or the UK or even ebay OZ or UK, I have pulled out and thrown away quite a few heater boxes they get get in the way of mounting a foot rest.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:23 pm 

My swift was originally a RHD and was converted to LHD, the heater core stays where it is, but pretty much everything else needs to be move to the other side, it's a hell of a job.

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:33 pm 

Dattman wrote:
Judging by the squared sided support for the pedal box I presume it's been converted from LHD.

Remember the original swift was designed as a RHD car to begin with :lol: heater box should be the same and same for the aircon, blower might be different though, I would just troll the fs section on redlinegti.com or suzuki4u for original rhd heating and aircon components from OZ or the UK or even ebay OZ or UK, I have pulled out and thrown away quite a few heater boxes they get get in the way of mounting a foot rest.

From what I have been able to research so far, the car came from the Ontario CAMI plant as a RHD car (unofficially maybe only 16 produced). What I don't know is if it came with the HVAC system intact or not. I do have 90% of A/C components under the hood, and do have the flexible vent hoses under the dash. Previous owner handed me a very crude looking switch panel that looked to be fabbed up sometime later. I need to find a 94 Metro and peek under it's dash to see if the heater blower motor portion (that normally sits where my pedals are now) can be swapped to mount on the left side of the main heater box behind the center dash. Not sure if there's a 'knockout' on the side of it.

Thanks for listing some suggestions on where to start looking. Living in Arizona and being one to usually not drive with A/C or heat (Jeep), I won't need it most of the year. Just would be nice to have defrost on the days that it does rain.

A few underhood pics:

And the 'frankenstein' control panel handed to me by the previous owner. Labels match the one for the LA city installed roof beacon.

Gary
Wanted: GT Seats
1994 Geo Metro LSi 3/5
Vail, Arizona

The Green Machine

ImageImageImage