TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:56 pm 

So, I currently have an issue, that I'd thought I'd be able to afford to get fixed at a body shop, but I'm a broke ass 21 year old.

Anyway, about a month after having my beauty, my baby-mama's dad clipped my car while I was asleep (apparently by accident, but coincidentally after I'd talked trash on jeeps. But, I digress.)
I plan on repainting the whole car at this rate, because of a few rust spots, and bad bondo that the previous owner did.
Anyway, I'm gonna show pictures, meow.
Attachment:
File comment: So, as you can see, the plastic rivet is broken (as is the slot it goes in,) so it's dangling off the door. The dent goes in about half an inch at the deepest.
It's pretty big.

DSCN0562.JPG
DSCN0562.JPG [ 336.52 KIB | Viewed 1082 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN0563.JPG
DSCN0563.JPG [ 330.94 KIB | Viewed 1082 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN0544.JPG
DSCN0544.JPG [ 332.85 KIB | Viewed 1082 times ]

So, as you can see, the plastic rivet is broken (as is the slot it goes in,) so it's dangling off the door. The dent goes in about half an inch at the deepest.
It's pretty big. I'm assuming the plastic isn't salvageable, but, should I just not try anything specific and send it to a body shop (regrettably,) or do you have any ideas of something that I can do to fix it?

Thanks ahead of time!
Nico.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:34 pm 

I would say buy a new door, and get the body work done on the side there. See if you can find someone on here to sell you that piece of side skirt. Or are the channels for the clips still on the side skirt? Maybe you can get the clips and be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:52 pm 

The damage doesn't look too bad. I had similar damage to my rear quarter panel around and behind the door post. The toughest part to repair is near the vertical crease behind the door edge. Most of the time, most of very shallow sheet metal damage can be gently popped out with only a soft rubber mallet and/or a soft faced dolly. 80% of damage can often be repaired with minimal effort, focusing on the most noticeable spots. And this is where you also have to decide whether your skills are sufficient to try and tackle the last 20%, or whether you can leave the remaining damage alone, or get an expert to give you a quote.

The dent resulted from forces which stretched (.. think 'oil can') the metal. Think of the forces applied to create the dent in the first place, and then how you can apply force to reverse the damage, starting from the deepest ,most stretched area, working out toward the perimeter of the dented area. (You can try first on a scrap piece of metal of similar gauge. Make a dent, and try to repair it, observing how the metal reacts to the mallet blow.)

Access to the sheet metal in the quarter panel area is wide open after removing the interior trim panel. There are a lot of screws and clips to remove before the panel comes off. Take your time and check for mostly Phillips screw fasteners and push on clips located around the perimeter of the inside panel.

As for the plastic rocker panel skirt, once you have access to the quarter panel from the inside of the car, devising a repair or substitute for the broken retaining clip should be pretty easy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:21 pm 

The skirt pins are available from the Suzuki dealer. Not that expensive because I bought 10
SGP part number is 77213-60-B00