TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:10 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:20 pm 

IASCA - International Auto Sound Challenge Association (see www.iasca.com) seems to be a growing thing here back at home.

Are any of the Members here affiliated/compete etc?

I'm giving thought to joining after I complete my sound system installation (ISQC rookie).

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:44 pm 

I competed in 2009 and won first in my class at 144.4dB for bass boxing, two 11 inch polk momos in a sealed box with 500w . now i'm in between stereos for the last 2 years, waiting until I get a job to complete my system.

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:28 pm 

wow...that's a nice score for two 11" subs in a sealed enclosure.

For my SQ build I went low power and simple, after doing a heap of research, getting demos etc.

Going to start installing over the weekend, once nothing else gets in the way....this is the system basically:

Alpine CDA9835 Head Unit...competition unit from what I've read.

PPI 5440 5 Channel Amp....rated at 60x4 @4ohm + 240x1 @2ohm.... a super clean spec sheet

Image Dynamics XS-65 6.5" mid-bass and the XS28 tweeters up front

Pair of Diamond Audio D3 8" subs (dual 2 ohm) in sealed 1 cu.ft enclosure

whaddya think guys, do I stand a chance?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:12 am 

There's an IASCA sanctioned event this Sunday here at home, I'll probably attend, even if I'm not ready to compete. Hopefully I can get some nice pics....the weather here has been like January in London for the past 3 days, only without the freezing cold.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:01 am 
King of Pompous

Even if you don't compete you'll still see what other competitors are using/doing to get better scores with their systems. Its a good experience regardless.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:52 pm 

Thanks there Big Chief.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:28 pm 

Just to follow up. I attended the event and got to listen to two competitors vehicles, one in Rookie and one Amateur class. The competitor in the Amateur class vehicle actually placed first within that category, among a field of five.

Indeed it was a good experience, and when the guys learnt that I was a 'studiophile' they were quite interested to hear my comments on their vehicles as well. All in all it was a good event, not the best of turnouts as the field consisted of only 12 competitors in total across five classes I think, but it was worth the time.

Now I am motivated to complete my system...and in time for the next event in May.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:19 pm 

I competed in IASCA in the early/mid 90's with my 89 GTi. Placed 3rd in western regionals and 7th in the world at the finals in Oklahoma. Top points champion in the zone etc. Competed when it was big and was nothing to have 20-30 cars in your class. Those were some really good times, and really miss the car!

Full feature car in car stereo mag also :)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:27 pm 

Here is the car at the 1993 IASCA World Finals...I think she placed 9th this year.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:34 pm 

Here are some of the awards it had won...

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:40 pm 
King of Pompous

Holy shit Tony you haven't been here in years! Still have the bug or just passing through?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:14 pm 

The late 80's to the mid 90's was the heyday of car stereo system. the clarion, alpine,pioneer,kenwood, pyle, zeus, punch, precision power. the list goes on and on. and the best was some Miami bass c.d playing. some days :ez_lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:52 pm 

M, been a LONG time buddy!

I don't have my email address anymore and couldn't remember my password (I must be getting old!) so I created a new account. This way I could check in once in a while to see what was happening. I do miss my old car and believe it or not went and saw it the other day as it made it back to the area...she's definitely rough compared to when she drove away but was still neat seeing the old girl. The car will always be special to me...lots of great memories!

This is where my money goes now...lol 4 years of hard work and too much money!

At the Crescent Beach Concours! (3rd place!!!)

Before you ask, yes, she has been to the track ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:53 pm 

RP, I still have all those bass cd's.... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:56 pm 

amxdreamer2 wrote:
M, been a LONG time buddy!

I don't have my email address anymore and couldn't remember my password (I must be getting old!) so I created a new account. This way I could check in once in a while to see what was happening. I do miss my old car and believe it or not went and saw it the other day as it made it back to the area...she's definitely rough compared to when she drove away but was still neat seeing the old girl. The car will always be special to me...lots of great memories!

This is where my money goes now...lol 4 years of hard work and too much money!

At the Crescent Beach Concours! (3rd place!!!)

Before you ask, yes, she has been to the track ;)

My favorite car of all time. Although I do prefer a '68. Nice!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:11 pm 

TD, thanks! It's nice to have someone appreciate the car as much as me. I wanted one of these since I was 16 (I'm 46 this year). I had the dream of a 69 Big Bad Orange car forever...when I saw this one I knew it would be mine. It hadn't been on the road since 1986 and needed every bolt restored. I have a lot of blood and sweat into this car!

For anyone that doesn't know the AMX they were the only domestic steel 2 seater made at the time, the only other 2 seater was the fiberglass Vette. They were only built from 1968-1970 with 1970 being the lowest production year. This is 1 of the 4116 TOTAL cars made that year and with it having so many "1 year only" parts it's the hardest to restore. I NEVER thought I would own a green car but now LOVE the color and the finished look of the 70. That ram air style hood looks amazing from inside and IMO the interior, front and rear fascias and suspension (ball joint front end) are far superior. They were very competitive in drag racing and set lots of records.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:56 pm 

I know the sweat (and cash) that goes into a full resto. You've done a lot.

I had a '68 Javelin in '77 when I was 17. I fell in love immediately. What can you say about a car that broke 106 records in 24 hours, a month before its public introduction. Unfortunately, I got smoked in the side by a drunk running a stop sign in Whalley a week after I got it. Bizarrely it was a block from the dealer where I bought it. I kept it for another 5 years or so but it just had too much poorly done body repair by the shop that did the insurance claim and I was too young to afford to get it done right so I eventually broke down and sold it.

I'm still looking for a '68 to '70 (NO BUBBLE FENDERS!!) that needs some TLC and I'd take a Javelin but would prefer an AMX.

A guy a few blocks from me has a plain Jane '69 Javelin with a six in it and no SST or Go package options for a decent price. If it comes up for sale this year I hope to pick it up. He only advertises it for a month in the fall then stores it over the winter and drives it for the summer. At least it's a good start for a project because it's solid and complete.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:39 am 

You had a guy in PG that had a bunch of AMC stuff a few years ago.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:04 pm 

Still do. I haven't met him though but he goes to the parts store my buddy manages. I think there is another guy in town that has some AMX stuff as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:07 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i have a cousin who has been mad about amc cars for years and collects, restores, and races them.

his yearly party, great amc day, is tied to the national trails raceway's amc racing weekend festivities. https://www.facebook.com/index.php#!/ev ... l_activity

back in the mid 80s i owned a triple white mark donahue model amx and it always has been one of my favorite cars. i was heavily into european iron back then but the 2 seat us market hot rod really flipped my switch. i preferred it to my vette, quite honestly.

i'll get to see amc cars from pacers to 10 second drag racers on may 23rd. :wink:

and yes, i'll roll up in my red twincam vert. :-P it makes that crowd shake their heads. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:14 pm 

It's a small world, I've known Mike for probably 15 years and wear shirts from his GAD event! I will make it out for his weekend one year. Say Hi to "big" Mike for me :)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:28 pm 
Suzuki Elder

tony,

yep, it's a small world. :wink:

my cousin mike is going to find this very trippy. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:15 pm 
King of Pompous

Tony iirc you were into these cars before you even sold your Swift. I was the same about owning a green car but now that I've owned two show queen green cars (one Swift one Audi) I have to say the colour has grown on me. My old green Swift ended up in Toronto trashed to hell last I heard...good to see your old girl is still alive and kicking though :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:35 pm 

Yeah I wanted one of these since 1985! Picked this one up in 2002 and it hadn't been on the road since 1986. LOTS of work, learning and dollars into my pride and joy :)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:36 pm 
Suzuki Elder

tony, i believe i saw your posting at the gad14 page.

i'll be leaving within the hour to hang out with the racers. :wink:

party is on. =)

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II