TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:20 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:21 pm 

This is the unit I just bought:
http://www.bossaudio.com/main/975

I have a 91 Geo Metro 1.0L 5-speed. I mainly listen to rock, punk, and country. I want to be able to hear nice crisp sounds thru all ranges. I want to hear the bass drum, hear the high hats, and still understand lyrics without all that insane trunk shaking crap everyone seem to want--it just sounds annoying and of poor quality. I once had a half moon box with a JL sub in the rear and my metro sounded great. Love o get that sound back!

I will be upfront and say I know nothing about setting up a stereo system....call me tone deaf or inexperienced, i'll take no offense. I can make the car run though ;)
I have read that just front speakers is the way to go. I'd rather not have door speakers, but it I need to make pods to do so, I will.
My questions are these:
--Should I just get 5.5-6" round speakers up front? and where up front? Also, what specs on the speakers?
--Should I have separate tweeters?
--Would this be okay under the seat for a sub?:
http://www.bossaudio.com/main/1051
--I think the stock alternator will be okay, but please confirm.
--Any other info you can give me on making a decent system would be appreciated. Keep in mind this is not for a competition, just a daily driver. I do drive a lot so I think I and the car deserve some quality tuneage!

I can also get items from Tsunami, SPL, PowerBass, Bazooka, Image Dynamics, and PlanetAudio. I know they're not all that great, but I have access to them and I know you guys can work some magic ;) So if you can point me inthe right direction with speakers that would be great. Here's a link to Boss speakers:
http://www.bossaudio.com/main/442
Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:35 pm 

you should check out http://www.sonicelectronix.com/ they have a great selection. I've ordered from them many times great prices quick shipping. As for the setup its all on personal preference. If your willing to put the speakers in the doors go for the largest you can fit (6 1/2"). If you like BOSS then http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_794 ... CH6CK.html, me personally I prefer Alpine speakers. Definatly go for components no matter what brand you chose and keep in mind that your front speakers are the most important so don't be afraid to spend more on them. I'm not sure that you can fit that BOSS powered sub under the seat. Generally self powered subs will always leave something to be desired (bass). If you only want to run fronts and a sub use a 4 channel thats tri mode capable (seperate crossovers for ch 1/2 and 3/4) speakers on ch 1/2 and sub on 3/4.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:43 pm 

I just installed a Set of Vibe Audio 4 inch 2 ways in the dash of my 89 GTI,And also used a set of Foam speaker baffles on the front and rear speakers.And in the rear I used Alpine S type 2 way 4 inch speakers,Then used Dynamat on the sheet metal behind the speaker and also sealed all of the big openings around the speaker.

At the end of the day it Sounds great to the point that it has bass out put and nice highs..I was very impressed with it,And as the car is just used for work I injoy it enough.

My other car has a big system so for this car I just wanted low key with great sound,And thats what I got.

Also rear speakers are ok to use,And if you use the baffles on the front you will really not hear the rears.

The best way to set up your rear speakers you,When sitting in the front seat turn your head to your right and then left you should be able to just pick up some sound from the rears.Rember that when you watch a concert live you will always get some sort of rear fill.But front sound stage is important.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:43 pm 

thanks guys. the car is now rotting at the lower control arm on the rf and the left rocker, so i'll play with the setup so all i have to do is swap it into the next one =)
Atleast now you've provided a possible model to follow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:18 pm 

if you want the best sound quality well in my opinion would have to be hertz they are amazing kind of pricey but well worth it and for the best possible sound i would go with 4 4in speakers should fit perfect if not they have instalation kits cheap i would deffently amplifie the speakers for bass for good quality i personaly use cerwin vega they make a greate woofer i have no distortion sounds amazing i would perfer a ported box it sounds better and will extend the life of your speakers jl is ok but for the price i dont think it is worth it you have to use a sealed box and they just dont seem worth it unless you are going to put in the w7...but besides that if you want clear and loud you i would sugest hertz boston kicker is decient but really it depends on what you are willing to spend....i am running jvc head unit hertz 1000d amp 2 12in cerwin vega subs box tuned to 35hz 4 4in boston accustic componets and tweeters with passive crossovers and a 600 watt amp 2 12 volt batteries i dont sugest caps if you need one u need a bigger battery with more amps (caps are pussy)
but i hope this helps if not you some one els
here is a link to mine
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=3&image_id=18433
for every thing i listed in my car it ran about 1500 usd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:51 pm 
King of Pompous

jordenj77 wrote:
jl is ok but for the price i dont think it is worth it you have to use a sealed box and they just dont seem worth it unless you are going to put in the w7...

Umm...all JL drivers with the exception of the TW series can be run in ported enclosures. Enclosure designs don't necessarily extend the life of your drivers either. Assuming you are within the driver's operating parameters you can have a sub last just as long in a sealed application as they would in a ported application.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:06 pm 

i have my 2 soundstream 10's mounted in one box,seperate chambers,1.0 cubic foot each,SEALED,would have them no other way....,high power handling,nice tight bass for rock.....they are over 10 years old,and still sound better than most newer subs i've heard,i HATE the farting noise ported boxes make,let alone uncontrolled bobbin/cone movement,seen lots of ported/bandpass mounted subs fail,but my SEALED 10's keep pounding away-138.6 db to be exact,not even tuned properly!box design and material is critical,using a $$$$$ sub in a cheap box doesnt work well,my box is double layer 3/4 inch mdf,glued&screwed,need 2 people to remove it from car....damn! :-P

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:25 pm 

idk well i guess it all depends on what you are going for i have had both seald and ported boxes and well at least with the drivers i have ran i like a ported box way better....farting noise i have never herd this i always build my boxes to the specs of the driver...and sealed boxes put more strain on your speakers the cerwins that i am running they sound extreamly clear no distortion no FARTING noise lol but really the amp plays a big factor in this also you could have 500$ drivers and a cheap amp and it will sound like shit but even cheaper subs with a high quality amp would sound good...but db's im getting like 141.7 i think that was my peak when i first got them i am going in for another reading soon now that the subs are broken in hopefully louder! :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:08 am 
King of Pompous

jordenj77 wrote:
and sealed boxes put more strain on your speakers

Please explain what you mean by this. Back it up with something too if you don't mind. Its the first time I've ever heard of this. I think I might know why you think this but I'm not sure. Enclosure design does not dictate the strain on a driver.

blueturbofly wrote:
i HATE the farting noise ported boxes make,let alone uncontrolled bobbin/cone movement,seen lots of ported/bandpass mounted subs fail

A lot of this is poor design and tuning. The bulk of the enclosures I design are ported alignments and they all sound different because they are being used for different systems. Some are one note wonders tuned to a specific peak frequency for SPL...others mimic a sealed alignment's response curve yet do so 3db louder than a sealed enclosure. Its all dependant on needs of the listener. Prefab enclosures generaly have a higher tuning frequency and are very boomy. If thats what you heard then I fully understand you hating them. If you ever get a chance to listen to a well built ported enclosure you may be surprised as to just how good they can sound.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:58 am 

sealed boxes provide more precise control over bobbin/cone movement,ported boxes work great if tuned to the right frequency,and yes,amp quality does matter.back in the day my buddy was a "crossfire"brand rep/installer/competition,funny thing he kept blowing 12' cf subs,i put my $40$ wal-mart jensen sub beside his $120$ cf,he kept popping his "cf" subs,but my jensen kept booming away....if i remember right CROSSFIRE was re-badged CLARION stuff,just not as good as clarion. as to the "farting noise"from ported boxes,the issue was with buddies nissan ex-cab,"crossfire"set-up,2 15's behind the seats,2 massive ports between seats,sure it was loud,but the air noise was just as annoying,plus massive distortion,funny thing is awhile later crossfire went belly up,he started selling jensen stuff :huh: my opinion,cf stuff was junk,poor quality radio shack stuff,with a fancy paintjob-he even said that jensen subs are built better than the cf's he was selling,but was bound to cf cuz he was a clarion dealer. :oops:

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:25 pm 
King of Pompous

blueturbofly wrote:
sealed boxes provide more precise control over bobbin/cone movement,ported boxes work great if tuned to the right frequency

Actualy if you look at response graphs of both types of enclosures a ported enclosure shows better control of the cone above tunning than that of a sealed enclosure. As your frequency gets lower and lower a driver in a sealed enclosure uses more and more excursion. In a ported enclosure excursion is at a minimum at tunning and only once you are below the tunning frequency does it begin to unload. Above tunning excursion is less than sealed. Now, if your tunning frequency is too high then you will run out of excursion much sooner but in a well tuned enclosure (for sound quality) you're tunning 30Hz and lower....by the time you've hit the same excursion as the sealed counterpart you're actualy at a lower frequency.

blueturbofly wrote:
sure it was loud,but the air noise was just as annoying,plus massive distortion

If there was noise from the port then it wasn't designed properly plain and simple. Port noise is a function of their size. If there is noise the ports were too small or the enclosure was tuned high and he was playing frequencies below tunning or a combination of the two. Distortion makes me think it was an enclosure tuned quite high and wasn't really made for music but just belching out noise. Sounds like your experience was with a poorly designed enclosure or somebody who wasn't using it for what it was designed to do.

blueturbofly wrote:
was bound to cf cuz he was a clarion dealer. :oops:

That seems strange. I worked in a Clarion dealer (with the highest Clarion sales in the city) and the rep for Crossfire had nothing to do with Clarion. He was a rep for a couple of different brands. The Clarion rep was Clarion only. Maybe it was different for your guy but I never recal Crossfire and Clarion having any kind of contact. Only rebadged Clarion thing I remember was either a Kenwood or Sony deck.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:12 pm 

the graphs i got show more of a quick peak and drop if i run my subs ported versus a smoother longer peak ,slower drop with a sealed box;remember,these subs are over 10 years old,tech&designs have changed somewhat,but i still run the s@#t out of them,my current amp is a fan cooled kw,200w per channel,running 4 ohm stereo-i tried them mono,did not sound as good,or as loud;but i had a mtx 1502,using it mono was great w/these subs,but the amp died one day,dont know why-still have the 1502,maybe i'll get that fixed.....

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:51 pm 
King of Pompous

blueturbofly wrote:
the graphs i got show more of a quick peak and drop if i run my subs ported versus a smoother longer peak ,slower drop with a sealed box

I understand that but if you lower tuning freq. the peak drops as well. Also with a ported enclosure the rolloff will be much sharper below tuning than a sealed...this is generaly OK because the rolloff starts at a much lower frequency as well. Now in your case you may have a sub that was originaly designed for sealed only application. In that case you are somewhat limited to what you can do ported. Larger enclosure and lower tunning drops the peak into something more reasonable. I'm not saying that ported is superior in every respect BTW. Just clearing up some misinformation that always seems to crop up when the virtues of each enclosure is discussed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:32 am 

check this video
http://www.smartauto24.com/demo/Suzuki/ ... urrCateg=0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:51 pm 

I'm running a Sony explode with Kenwood speakers in dash along with tweeters and cross over. I'm running a MB quart 1800 wat amp and two jl wo subs in a sealed box. I've tuned the amp down cuz it was just to much it sounds amazing with this set up doesn't crackel or disstort.

93 metro - stripped waiting for a hyabusa swap