TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:21 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Keeping it light!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:31 am 

So since we pretty much have what has been described as a "go-kart", how many of you guys are performance-minded enough to take into consideration weight savings when designing your sound system? Or how many of us say eff it and look forward to premature loss of hearing? :lol:

For me personally, I like the lightness of the car so I kept my system down to a single 5-channel amp, a pair of 6x9's and a pair of 8" subs in a sealed enclosure.

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

Post subject: Re: Keeping it light!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:16 am 

I have a high powered deck, upgraded the dash speakers, added pillar mount tweeters,
and replaced the rear side speakers with 6X9's. No subs for me, as long as I can still
hear the tunes over the rattle of the motor I'm good.
I did have plans for an amp, but it was not only too heavy, but too large.
So I picked up a motorcycle amplifier, very light and will fit right in the glove box.
I still have to hook it up , so not sure what kind of sound gains I will get.
You can see the little amp here:http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=47916&start=75

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:34 pm 

I keep it light, I don't bother with a stereo at all :mrgreen:

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:41 pm 

Are the OEM Delco AM/FM/CD & stock size speakers "light" enough? Maybe b/c some consider Metro's the size of a "go-kart" my '98 stock stereo seems to fill the space.

My challenge w/music usually has more to do w/finding tunes I like enough to want to own.

Once I find songs I want to hear often, learn, sing along with, etc. it's not so important to have air shaking volume, or delivery extending beyond upper & lower hearing limits.

Seeking new tunes is the only reason I use FM, fav station is nearly out of range. Reception is a crap shoot. Don't want/need "a single 5-channel amp, a pair of 6x9's and a pair of 8" subs" to listen to a wavering signal. If there's a favorite song playing it can be on crackling AM mono or crappy store PA. Spent enough time w/deafening decibels.

Also would sooner have the extra space & load capacity. Or use iPod & earbuds.

Been considering eliminating hatchback rear seat & fitting a flat carpeted plywood deck. Planning 2 hinged cargo floor doors, 1 providing storage bin where rear seat bottom was, other decking over the spare tire wheel/tank area.

Like a miniwagon. Will make longer trips w/fair size dog better. Space that would be consumed by "5-channel amp....sealed enclosure" to be used for food, water, bowls for dog & tools, spare parts, what George Carlin called "stuff" & CD collection.

1998 Ford F-150 4X4 XLT
1992 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau
1991 SAAB 900S 5 speed
1987 SAAB 900 Turbo SPG
1985 SAAB 900 Turbo SPG
1974 SAAB Sonett III
1971 SAAB 96 modified to 1980 specs
1966 SAAB 96
1960 SAAB 93F
1958 SAAB 93B
1964 Willys JEEP CJ-5
1954 Willys JEEP M-170 military ambulance
1953 Grumman Kurbside step van

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:43 am 

^ To each his own I guess....I use the jeep for transporting the dog, wife and child and whichever half of the house they bring along when we're on road trips.

I guess my original question was not really about to question the purpose of having how much music in your car, but for those who are fellow music enthusiasts like myself, whether they keep it little or go big.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:32 pm 
King of Pompous

I had fairly large systems in my Swifts. They weren't used as daily drivers though. If I had to daily one the system would be much smaller. I'd likely put my subs in the doors and keep all my hatch space :mrgreen:. You can get creative with where you put things like subs and amps to save on space though.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:49 am 

m wrote:
I had fairly large systems in my Swifts. They weren't used as daily drivers though. If I had to daily one the system would be much smaller. I'd likely put my subs in the doors and keep all my hatch space :mrgreen:. You can get creative with where you put things like subs and amps to save on space though.

I wanted to put my sub under the dash on the passenger side, think I might actually do that once I get to my interior :-P

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:08 pm 
King of Pompous

Lots of ventilation under there that would have to be moved and difficult to get the proper airspace for an enclosure. 8" subs in the doors and a 5.25" component system in the kick panels could be a prisine sounding system though.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:35 pm 
Suzuki Elder

this was a light weight, very musical stereo system i had in my white vert. i used a pair of 8" nakamichi free air subs and a 6" component speaker system with 1" silk dome tweeters. the component speaker system used some really high end and critically acclaimed crossovers powered by the head unit. the subs used the filter in a 50 watt per channel light weight amp driven by low level outputs from the head unit.

all together, the whole system may have added around 25 or 30 pounds.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:33 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:
all together, the whole system may have added around 25 or 30 pounds.

Wowee....now that is light!

My subwoofers in the enclosure alone weigh that much. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:25 am 

I used to run a light weight setup in my show car before I went nuts on the thing. I used 1/2' plywood wrapped in 1in of ployester to act as a deadening material then wrapped them in vinal. I had 2 Rockford Fosgate 12's 400wats with a 200w minimum running off of 1 MDX 400w amp. The whole thing only weighed in at 30lbs. I'm looking to re- build the box to fit in the back of my 92 but I will have to make 2 seperate boxes to get it right.

92 Geo Metro Old Blue for now hoping to change it too Mitternacht in the summer. Current Mods K&N drop in, 92-95 B16 alluminum radator with fan for a B16, trans cooler for a 92-95 civic, SONy Xplode speakers in dash, led brake light. 2002 PTCREEPER not Cruiser.