TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:40 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:47 pm 

About time I got some proper sound in my MK1 car. Bought a sub that you can place under the seat.
Paid $180 for it with 5 years warranty. It barely fitted leaving some mm clearance... it's made in Aluminum
and is 4kg heavy.

http://biltema.no/no/Bil---MC/Bilstereo ... r-8-24797/

Installation took some time, because it needed two power supply wires, one always +12V and one from the on/off 12V radio power, so I had to pull a new wire to the radio with thicker gauge from 12V always on. I tapped this power from the power in to the ignition switch. I double insulated the wire and installed a 15A fuse on it near the end by the radio.

Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 96.76 KIB | Viewed 3128 times ]

Screws included was useless. I used 50mm long 6mm stainless steel bolts with tag washers underneath to make
good earth contact.

As you can see I used a long terminal block by the radio in order to keep the wiring tidy, easy to find all the connection points.

Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 78.91 KIB | Viewed 3128 times ]

Sound-test: After playing with dials and buttons on the unit, and carefully listening what settings sounded right I got great bass with a good punch, and cannot understand how I managed without before! :huh:

I would highly recommend this solution because it's invisible and don't take up any extra space.

Unless you are listening to fiddling, you need proper bass!

Last edited by marsbar on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:05 pm 

Sweet, I was also looking into underseat subs, I want my boot space free. Where did you mount the amp?

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:16 pm 

There are no amp needed, it's built in! That's why it needed 12V power supply with a thick gauge.

(Warning: Disconnect battery before you start working on un-fused wires, as a short circuit may cause damage/fire)

Attachment:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 122.65 KIB | Viewed 3120 times ]

I simply connected it to the loudspeaker output of the car radio, in parallel with my tweeters installed under the dashboard.

The sub does not give any load to the car-radio, it simply "feels" the voltage and amplifies it.

In other words, it just spies on the speaker signals and gives it a boost in the low frequencies.

When you regulate the volume of the car radio, it follows.

Works great!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:54 pm 

A built in amp, that's neat. Is one of those enough? :mrgreen:

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:24 pm 

there are a few different brands offering these now, some better than others i know Pioneer, DNA, and Focal all have them available in Australia (not sure about other countries)

they wont give you the real deep low end bass that some may be used to from a standard sub in box in the boot but they give a good upper bass reinforcement and can really help a system like ours with 4" in the dash that lack low end