TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:47 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:58 am 

I purchased a 1971 Saab Sonett III off of craigslist and the only paperwork I received was a bill of sale. There were no license plates on the car and it was stated in the bill of sale the plates and title were lost. I went to a registration company cause I did not want to deal with the long lines at the DMV. The lady told me the car was junked that's why there was no license plates. And also that the person I bought it from was not the one on record. So she told me I need to find the last person or wrecking yard that sold the car to sign it over. The problem is this car was junked in 1983, and the guy I bought it from wont return my calls. I don't even see how its on record after close to 30 years. Does anyone know some form I can fill out? Also is the only place to junk a car is at a wrecking yard? Cause I think the lady said the license plates were turned in, she did not say who turned them in. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:08 am 

Up here, you send a registered letter to the last known address of the previous owner. If it's returned "undeliverable" you take the returned letter along with anything else you have relating to the car and can get ownership papers. If it was scrapped, the recycling company (wreckers) hands in the papers and the car is supposed to be crushed or used as parts only. If it's a parts only car, you'd need to find another with papers and switch serial number plates (I didn't tell you that because that's illegal).

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:01 am 

http://houston.olx.com/all-titles-unlim ... -132829908 http://www.broadwaytitle.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:30 am 

W/all due respect, you don't have a "registration problem". What you have is a Title Problem.

ainr0filac wrote:
California DMV registration problem
I went to a registration company cause I did not want to deal with the long lines at the DMV.
Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Presume you "did not want to deal with the long lines at the DMV" b/c of the time it takes & trust the conclusion from "a registration company"? Also that it's out of the Q to contact "the one on record"?

Unfortunately "Any advice" that comes to mind would surely require dramatically more time. In the past the expedient way to get around a strict state's title requirements was to go to another state that had more liberal title requirements. The trend has been for states to tighten requirements, so shopping for an easier state is a moving target. After obtaining a title in another state you transfer into your home state. It's an expensive & time consuming proposition. Likely far more costly than "a 1971 Saab Sonett III...junked in 1983".

1998 Ford F-150 4X4 XLT
1992 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau
1991 SAAB 900S 5 speed
1987 SAAB 900 Turbo SPG
1985 SAAB 900 Turbo SPG
1974 SAAB Sonett III
1971 SAAB 96 modified to 1980 specs
1966 SAAB 96
1960 SAAB 93F
1958 SAAB 93B
1964 Willys JEEP CJ-5
1954 Willys JEEP M-170 military ambulance
1953 Grumman Kurbside step van

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:13 pm 

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I was looking though the glove box and found the registration from 1983. So at least I know the last registered owners name now.

top down@-40 wrote:
Up here, you send a registered letter to the last known address of the previous owner. If it's returned "undeliverable" you take the returned letter along with anything else you have relating to the car and can get ownership papers.

I had a neighbor also suggest this, I will try going this route first. Also the lady said if I can still register the car even though it was junked.

mxmikie wrote:
http://houston.olx.com/all-titles-unlim ... -132829908 http://www.broadwaytitle.com/

I may try this if I am unable to get Title in California.

Old3banger wrote:
Presume you "did not want to deal with the long lines at the DMV" b/c of the time it takes & trust the conclusion from "a registration company"? Also that it's out of the Q to contact "the one on record"?

The main reason I went to a registration company is I go to work at 6:30 and get home at 4:00-5:00 mon-fri. And the DMV is open from 8:00-5:00 and the PTO calendar at my work is booked solid. So i can't even request to get off work on time. It is not out of the question to contact the one of record, the lady would not tell me who was on record. But I found a registration paper from 1983 so I have a name now.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:50 pm 

here you can file paper work for storage fees or mech lean and get a title for it but that's in SC not cali . is there a way to do a title search in cali if so that will help get you some info to start with at least. Use vin to do search. Here we can go on line and see who paid taxes last . I hope this helps. Good luck