TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:44 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:36 pm 

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around the forums here for almost 2 years now but I never really introduced myself, so here goes:

The name's Ralph and I live in the sunny twin isle republic of Trinidad and Tobago, located in the Caribbean.

I have owned several Suzuki's - three Jimny's and two Swifts. My wife uses the Jimny as her DD (2009 model) and I just sold my Swift GL in favour of a MK3 GTi that is now turning out to be a project.

When I bought it the previous owner assured me all was well, albeit the car needed a paint job. After driving it a couple days, I realized the front struts were dead, one strut mount needs replacing, the left engine mount was toast and the rear (gearbox) mount was a bit weak, the engine is experiencing some severe backpressure and the a/c needs to be re-pressurized.

*sigh*

I guess the lemonade out of being handed all these lemons is that I'm getting to learn about the GTi and when I'm done doing things properly, I should have a reliable car.

BTW, does anyone know where the ecu is located on a RHD model GTi? I've searched behind the glove compartment side as well as behind the centre console to no avail.

One more question....what size rings should I use when changing? I was thinking of maybe 5-8 thou over???

Thanks for any help!

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

Last edited by PBC137 on Thu May 17, 2012 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Hello everyone!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:50 pm 

Hello and welcome glad you've decided to post. I think the ecu is on the drivers side for the RHD cars, so it would be up above the fuse panel...but I could be wrong

Are there very many Gtis over there?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:47 pm 

There are a handful only that were sold locally. In two other islands, Barbados and Jamaica, there are lots more of them running around. I have only seen around a dozen or so over here, but there may be more.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:52 pm 

welcome, i saw a few swifts when i was in ocho rios,

as for your jimny, i want one, we never got the new style ones over here.

welcome to teamswift and enjoy your gti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:36 am 

Hi people!

Just wanted to give an update on the status of things with the car.

Well,first of all, the idiots who last opened the engine over-torqued the head bolts and as such the alan key was doing nothing and eventually just started spinning in the head bolts, which had then to be drilled out, another timely and arduous process, in order to not damage the cams or the head.

Then with the head off, there was a significant ridge cut by the piston rings...I would venture to guesstimate around .020-.030" in some parts....which meant the bottom end needed re-sleeving. We suspected also that with so much damage to the cylinder walls, that one or two pistons would surely be damaged by the rings.

Our guess was correct...so in the absence of finding any gti pistons locally, a buddy in neighboring Barbados offered to sell me his used cutus pistons & rods. I purchased them and since my rods were in better shape (c-clips on his wristpins had more wear/play) and my rod bearings were in good shape I swapped over my rods onto his pistons. I used ACL sleeves and asked for a standard bore, which was nicely done with the usual cross-hatch honing. Got me a set of standard sized rings (Hastings) and with everything out except the main bearings, I gave the bottom end a good de-greasing, minding not to get any de-greaser near the bearings.

All this was done early last week and on Friday, when I checked with the mech, the block was back in the engine bay, with the tranny already in place. So its now onto re-freshing the head with new gaskets and seals and then bolting it back up with some new headstuds.

Will keep you all posted!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:57 am 

Welcome, with a name like that you can't be all bad although you probably have your moments.

Ralph.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:01 am 

I'm from RHD world and can confirm that the ECU is on the driver's side closer to the firewall and sort of above the fuse box.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:17 am 

lol @ other Ralph....yes, I do believe we have our moments!

Thanks nzswift, I was told that by several ppl, but I want to sort out the mechanical stuff first. Once the engine turns over and idles properly, I'll then turn to the ecu. First thing there is to get the check engine light to work!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:27 am 

Ok, so I have one of those mechanics who likes to go out as much as he likes to sleep, cuz I hardly ever see him working!

Friday gone was a holiday in my country, but it seemed that he interpreted that to mean a weekend long holiday from working on my car!

Fortunately I got him to finish changing the valve seals and locking back the head, so its just to get the head back on the engine now and close things up!

Stay tuned for more rants! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:52 am 

Do you have pics of the car? 8)

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:58 am 

Will definitely post some pics of the car soon...where its being worked on right now is kinda dark, even for my shiddy digital camera.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:43 am 

UPDATE: The rebuild has been completed and the car is now driving! The initial break-in has been completed and has now just started to accumulate the 500 or so miles (800 km) at the recommended 60% of power before changing oil, re-torquing the head studs and then seeing what the car is really capable of.

I have been having one or two minor issues that I would appreciate any help with though.

First of all, the engine does not turn over with the power that it should. The battery is fine and is charging properly. The starter also seems okay (but may just need a minor servicing). By the looks of it, it does not seem to be a mechanical issue, but more electrical.

I put on a new distributor cap and rotor yesterday...it did improve the cranking a bit, but the issue still does not seem fully resolved. A friend told me to check all the grounding connections to ensure they are clean and properly connected... this is next on the "to do" list.

The second issue is that when the engine starts from cold, the idle raises as it should, and then after a few seconds drops very low, to a point where the engine shuts off. I then have to re-start....and it happens again, but it may or may not cut-off this time, but either way, the idle drops very low and the car bucks before the idle raises again. This process continues for a bit until the engine starts to warm up.

Any ideas as to what to do? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:53 pm 

Sounds like the engine coolant temp sensor is being wonky or the Idle Air Control valve.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:09 am 

Thanks gamefoo21. I'm pretty sure its not the isc (idle speed controller), as the unit gave me a resistance that was just about right and I was picking up a variable low voltage signal from the harness.

Oh, and before anyone jumps on the "use the search button" bandwagon, I did, and I did have some interesting reads as to what others with similar problems were doing, but my situation seems a bit unique.

I don't know, maybe I just need to shut up and drive the damn car some more since I've only put about 30km on it since the rebuild. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:02 am 

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Last night as I was poring over the engine, wondering what to do next, I thought I'd take a look at the afm and throttle body to make sure they were not dirty and gunked up. I realized then that the mech who put the engine back together put the afm on with the harness jacking in on the underside.

The clip on the harness is missing the little wire that locks it in, so in putting back everything (both afm and throttle body were pretty clean) I rotated the afm 180degrees so the harness jacks in from on top.

I start the engine (surprisingly it turns over quite a bit faster than before) and it starts...I wait the usual 2-3 seconds for the customary and problematic drop in idle....4, 5...10 seconds pass and nothing. I then realized that there was the problem. In clipping the afm to the underside, with the vibration from the engine, gravity and the absence of the locking clip, the afm connection was being broken all the while, resulting in the poor idle.

She now idles as smooth as can be, and is ready to be driven like never before!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:31 pm 

Them damn 'shady' mechanics! :lol: :lol: I try to do everything on my own so that I can learn about these little pocket rockets. Sometimes though it gets overwhelming. I just take a few steps back (for me it's been 3 months) and breath, then jump back in.

pacapo wrote:
You get an old one, clean it up, put it back to specs and take care of it, and she'll last for years.

JVS wrote:
We (the Suzuki enthusiast) are Dinosaurs.

An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind.

1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: 15P & 26U

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:07 am 

swifterthanu wrote:
Them damn 'shady' mechanics! :lol: :lol: I try to do everything on my own so that I can learn about these little pocket rockets. Sometimes though it gets overwhelming. I just take a few steps back (for me it's been 3 months) and breath, then jump back in.

I hear ya, buddy. I'm a bit of a grease-monkey too, but I have a job that is very demanding of my time and when I get home, I'm usually too tired to do anything on the car. Plus, weekends go by waaay too quickly for any substantial learning of the car.

Okay, so what's next to do...hmmm, A LOT! :lol:

Lemme put together a list:
Fix passenger side window regulator (the glass keeps dropping to one side in the channel when being let down)
Fix a/c - since I got the car back from the re-build, the a/c compressor does not come on when switched - I hope its just a minor wiring issue.
Install some proper engine grounds - buying an engine grounding kit may not be a bad idea though!
Install water temp and oil pressure gauges and shift light.
Wire back some music into the car....I'll have to see what the music storage bin has for me to throw in there.
There's also the driver's side ball joint that needs to change, but I'm waiting on my polybushing castor kit from ssgti and then I'll purchase new control arms and have the bushings swapped over then.
I also need to do some interior neatening up and stuff.

*sigh* There are just not enough days in a weekend!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:03 pm 

Ok, so after some help from a cousin of mine who is a bit more knowledgeable on electrical and stuff we managed to get through some of the stuff on the list....

Fix passenger side window regulator (the glass keeps dropping to one side in the channel when being let down) - problem resolved; it was not the regulator but one of the rollers had fallen off. The entire thing was serviced and regreased.

Fix a/c - since I got the car back from the re-build, the a/c compressor does not come on when switched - I hope its just a minor wiring issue. My cousin got the compressor and fan to come on, don't ask me how. The system just needs to be re-gassed now and it should be aok.

Install some proper engine grounds - buying an engine grounding kit may not be a bad idea though! Ordered the grounding kit but may be a few days until it arrives so in the meantime I started cleaning the oem ground connenctions.

Install water temp and oil pressure gauges and shift light. Hope to get this done by later this week if not, weekend.

Wire back some music into the car....I'll have to see what the music storage bin has for me to throw in there. Found an older (7870) Alpine CD/receiver but as far as speakers go, all the stuff I have is a bit too much, and since I want to keep weight down, I'm currently shopping for some 6x9's... the likely candidates are the DLS 1269's.

There's also the driver's side ball joint that needs to change, but I'm waiting on my polybushing castor kit from ssgti and then I'll purchase new control arms and have the bushings swapped over then. SSGTI seems to be really holding their hand with this order which was placed three weeks ago and nothing has been reported as shipped yet. Regardless, I checked the right side again, and it seems the ball joint is fine, but the wheel bearing needs to be changed, so I'll look, I'm retarded have to hit the local SKF distributor to see if they have in stock.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:56 am 

Alright, so I will simply consolidate my posts back into this thread and keep it as a build thread.

First of all, update:
The car was never really ever fully broken in from the "re-build" that was performed on it. Apparently I was hoodwinked by the mechanic who charged me for a bunch of stuff that was never done, re: checking clearances and proper cleaning of the engine.

I knew that the car was not giving me the acceleration and top end response like it did before, but I did not make much of it. It was only until I got the oil pressure gauge wired in I realized my problem, and just in time too. At 7500rpm on the dyno, the engine refused to see more than 30psi oil pressure...reading take at the oil filter. So I backed off immediately and let the engine cool off for at least an hour before I drove home carefully.

I then resolved that it would certainly have been the oil pump, as I was not getting any smoke from my exhaust (during the dyno) indicative of worn engine bearings, and the oil level on the dipstick was just a the top mark.

Before I started taking anything apart though, I ran a couple tests. This is what I came up with:

Compression (dry test):
#1: 210
#2: 225
#3: 225
#4: 220

Now remember I have cultus pistons so with an 11.5:1 CR, these are pretty much average for a healthy engine.

Oil pressure (two readings taken simultaneously, at the oil filter and in the head on a return line):

On immediate startup: Block = 90+psi Head= 30psi
At coolant temp. of 120 degrees: Block = 40psi Head = 20psi
At coolant temp. of 160 degrees: Block = 30psi Head = 15psi
At thermostat temp. (180 degrees): Block = 20psi Head = <14psi

More to come.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:38 pm 

Hey those compression numbers look like what my G10 gets... Too bad it'll never move like your GTi... :lol:

The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:12 pm 

gamefoo21....your G10 right now is moving. That in itself is doing more than my gti, which currently looks like this:
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1060&image_id=20226

So we now continue with the saga....

After conducting the compression and oil pressure tests, I also carried out a fuel pressure test based on an unrelated problem of engine hesitation/ loss of power, which I at this stage am attributing to a problem with the fuel system somewhere. The fuel pressure figures turned out pretty much proper according to the manual, actually a psi or two over what was suggested. It held 30psi for much longer than the 1minute after the pump was shut off.

So anyway, I started to take the engine apart and finally I got the engine bay to look like the pic above. Next was to disassemble the cylinder head, tank it, clean it and start porting. I ordered up a set of 3tech SS oversized valves and these will be going in by the end of this week.

Here is how the head looks like with the valves mocked up, the intake ports have not been worked on yet and the headgasket mating surface has to be decked:
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1060&image_id=20223

The block was disassembled on Sunday....the intention was to get new connecting rod bearings and to check the tolerances on the main bearings....this plan was scrapped when I found out what I was dealing with:
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1060&image_id=20250
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1060&image_id=20249
Those are not oil stain marks....they are scorch marks from being toasted. The rods also bore scorch marks...thank goodness I have a spare set of rods!

Take a look now at the mains:
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1060&image_id=20251
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1060&image_id=20252
Yup, shot to hell is an understatement....pitted and scraped....I didn't even bother to check the clearances....time to check the dealership for new mains.

That's enough typing for today....stay tuned for more.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:47 pm 

Hey... I just got it back onto four wheels tonight... in the snow! :p

I gots 22psi after running the engine standing at about 1500-2000rpm for a few minutes then letting it fall back down to around 800rpm idle. Gotta take it for a drive... Probably going to go get me a cup of coffee, as a celebratory lap...

Though I did hit one hiccup... I spun it over with the crank scraper snugged down, and it was fine.... I torqued it down, and it wouldn't turn still(I built it a bit tight), so I put it all together, filled it full of oil, started it up, and sure enough, clack clack clack... Damn it all... Oh well I'll just let it wear down... :evil: I spent hours filing down the upstroke scraper, and it never rubbed, but I didn't install the down stroke until now... :roll:

Btw... Is your mechanic blind, lazy, or mentally deficient?? Hot damn, I can't believe he said THOSE were fine... :?

Edit: Well it's idling a bit low, need to turn up the fuel pressure just a tad, but at idle around 700rpm getting around 10-12psi and 60psi at 4000rpm, this is after driving it around the city, and it's got 0w30 synthetic with a -45C pour point. It is -1C outside right now... So the goop is holding for now atleast... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:33 am 

*edited for pics*
gamefoo....you almost had me going for a minute there....I was thinking 22psi of boost! :-P :lol:

Well some good news after all the headache....I got my cultus intake manifold and genie extractor from swifty92...they arrived yesterday! I cleaned out the intake and this is how it looks after giving it a little purple blaster cleaning:

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1060&image_id=20260

So I also did the cross check of the block lettering and crankshaft numbering to get my bearing sizes and guess what? They are all the same, and furthermore, exactly middle of the pack in the standard size! What are the odds of that? The block is stamped BBBBB and the crank is stamped 22222. Using the chart in the thread (resurrected by me lol) that gives un-painted bearings of the same size.

So it means that any standard sized bearing will work on my crank perfectly! Woohoo!

Last edited by PBC137 on Wed May 25, 2011 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:25 pm 

^Lucky guy with the main bearings sizes :P ...I think my engine required 4 different sizes, lol

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:31 pm 

Update: The head work is completed. We got everything swirl ported and the three angle job done to the valves....all seat perfectly! I also skimmed the headgasket mating surface by about 0.003" and then checked with the straight edge to make sure it was perfectly flat.

The head should be assembled later this evening and I'm almost done with the bottom end....just to skim the headgasket surface on that as well.

I want to get new headstuds but I can't seem to find any locally.

Will continue the updates soon....