TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:19 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: side skirts "seal"
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:09 am 

Alright guys....finally got the thing shined up, and it's time to start tinkering. my fist order of business is to do something about the ugly shrunk rubber "Seal" that goes down the sideskirts.
So here is the question.....WHERE ON GODS GREEN EARTH WILL I EVER FIND IT??
Any ideas??? There has to be a source somewhere.

Oh, and it's an '89, but i think the headlight assemblys are not correct for the year(not going to change, just curious)
is this correct??

Post subject: Re: side skirts "seal"
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:21 am 

Headlight assembly is correct. I know that 3M makes a type of seal for this. I can check my sources. If this is still available I'll let everyone know. Please stay true to this car and be the purist by using SGP! Don't go hacking into this and adding shit like screws to hold down plastic pieces right in the middle of where it doesn't belong. Don't use pushpins, or anything like that to hold up a possibly saggy headliner, etc. :lol: 8)

pacapo wrote:
You get an old one, clean it up, put it back to specs and take care of it, and she'll last for years.

JVS wrote:
We (the Suzuki enthusiast) are Dinosaurs.

An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind.

1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: 15P & 26U

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:22 pm 

I'd be interested in knowing that too. Its on my "to-do" list, but hadn't ever looked very hard for replacement rubber.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:05 pm 
Suzuki Elder

those seals are oem parts and i haven't found replacement sgp pieces for that in 8 years of looking. every used side skirt i've ever had except for the last set jv&s sent me had broken or missing seals. the set he sent still had them on the rear sections, shrunken, britle, and loose on the ends.

i spent a fair amount of time viewing profiles, dimensions, and specs for a whole bunch of rubber seals in a protracted internet search last winter. i even ordered a few different profiles that looked promising but i was disappointed by their fitment.

if you guys find anything, post it. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:30 pm 

swifterthanu wrote:
Headlight assembly is correct. I know that 3M makes a type of seal for this. I can check my sources. If this is still available I'll let everyone know. Please stay true to this car and be the purist by using SGP! Don't go hacking into this and adding shit like screws to hold down plastic pieces right in the middle of where it doesn't belong. Don't use pushpins, or anything like that to hold up a possibly saggy headliner, etc. :lol: 8)

Damn, and i had a bucket of rusty old sheet metal screws i was looking to get used up!!! :lol:
I sir, am a true enthusiast, true to Suzuki, and shall buy nothing but genuine parts whenever possible(although i do have Autozone starters and brake pads(lifetime replacement...suckers bet!))
i have owned Suzuki's for over 10 years now in the 4x4 area, i had owned a 89' gti a while back, but never drove it much before i sold it to a buddy because i was getting out of 5 speeds and moving to auto's.
This is actually going to be my daughters first car...so lets all cross our fingers when she buys a car it's still worth taking back :roll:
some of my other junk...
first samurai....

and this is the last rockcrawler i had...

today the wife and i both have 4 door sidekicks, mine is lifted just a little.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:10 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i'm not all that pure of a purist. :lol:

i tend to remove (and by remove i mean break off, drill, tap, etc.) the factory nuts and bolts and replace them with a2 stainless steel hardware doped up with copper never seize. to me, that's an improvement to the car.

as a matter of fact, i think that there are a great many mods that improve performance, handling, braking, and appearance.

after 20+ years, there are very few really nice survivor cars of our beloved marque and the great many of them have not had any love for a long time.

there are a number of deficiencies in the original design, too. turbine tech's design and rendering of the front lower 4 point brace corrects a major bug. the rear toe control rods are another failing that requires a modification to enable more accurate handling. the brake hoses on a 20+ year old car are overdue for replacement. braided stainless steel brake hoses aren't factory but they really do improve pedal feel and brake response. since you have to replace the flexible pipes anyway - why not?

once i started down that road it was hard for me to quit. =)

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:30 am 

locjaw wrote:
Alright guys....finally got the thing shined up, and it's time to start tinkering. my fist order of business is to do something about the ugly shrunk rubber "Seal" that goes down the sideskirts.
So here is the question.....WHERE ON GODS GREEN EARTH WILL I EVER FIND IT??
Any ideas??? There has to be a source somewhere.

Oh, and it's an '89, but i think the headlight assemblys are not correct for the year(not going to change, just curious)
is this correct??

Do you have a close up pic of the ugly seal?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:11 am 

I replaced the "seal" around the sideskirts with fender welt.