TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:46 pm 

I have a 1992 1.3 SOHC engine that has been driving me crazy. When I first start it up it runs normal until it warms up to operating temperature. Then it surges a couple of times and dies. When I turn the key to restart it fuel gushes it to the throttle body like the injector is stuck open. Even with the key on the start position without turning the engine over fuel just gushes in. I have changed the throttle body 3 times and the same thing happens. It will run for 10-15 minutes on initial start up and then die. Yesterday I changed the ignition switch thinking it could be a short in the switch but the same thing happened. Does anyone have any ideas? I checked some threads but didn't see anything like this. Any help would be appreciated. :D :D :lol: :shock: :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:55 pm 

Just a quick guess but you may have a failed injector driver circuit in the ECM. Try unplugging the injector connector and see if it still sprays fuel. If it does you may have something restricting the fuel return to the tank and over pressuring the system.

Just a couple random thoughts from a sleepy mind.

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:04 am 

step 1 - unplug injector, as stated above. Turn on the key, and check for leakage of fuel. this will verify that the o-ring around the injector and the injector itself are ok. The o-ring is likely to be damaged if the throttle body has ever been apart.

if the leak continues with the injector unplugged, you have an o ring or stuck injector. if not, continue.

step 2 - test for power and ground to the injector connector. you should have power with key on engine off, but no ground signal. if there is a ground signal, then unplug the computer, and test again. if the ground signal is still present, then you need to search for a wiring short to ground, such as a chafe against the engine or where the harness goes through the firewall. if the ground signal is gone with the computer unplugged, then the fault is internal to the circuit board.

easy enough?

Let us know how this works out.

low mile 90 firefly 3 cylinder/auto 4 door

beat to hell 89 GTi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:52 am 

Be very careful about using a test light on the injector connector. the ecm is very sensitive to the impedance of the load. Either check the FSM for proper procedure and equipment or use a noid light. A niod light is a special test light for testing injector circuits and will not harm the ecm. they are available at most quality auto parts stores.

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:13 pm 

Thanks for all the advice and help. I replaced the front wiring clip & ECU and she fired up like her old self. Upon stripping the sheath on the old harness it proved to have burnt wires in a few areas. Thanks Again Everyone!!!!! :D :D :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops: