TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:28 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hogleg's New 91 Vert
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:47 pm 

Hi everyone, Hogleg here, I just picked up my second Metro. A 1991 Convertible with 122k, and runs great. Originally from South Carolina, the car is surprisingly clean for 22 years old. Some surface rust starting here and there, but no holes, and no frame rust. It's as solid a start as I can get in Ohio. Defiantly a keeper.
I'm planning a semi-complete restoration on this car from the paint under the car, to the brake lines. I've been researching parts, and have almost a complete list from Summit Racing, RockAuto, 3tech, Suzukird, Turbinetech, eBay, and Autozone I will share for future reference complete with links. The engine has. 18k on the rebuilt motor, and the trans has already been swapped to a 4.10 I believe.
A lot of the parts I plan on replacing are still good, but 22 year old bushings, seals, boots, and hoses, do not belong on a restored vehicle. I plan on spending a little over 3k (1.5k for paint) during the next year restoring this little gem. Its been 10 years since I worked on cars in a shop, but I'm confident I can do most of what I want in the comfort of my driveway this summer.
Honestly the car needs nothing but shocks and tires. It even has a newer top, but my old metro rusted out so bad in such a short time, I can't think of subjecting this car to this harsh ohio weather without proper paint and rustproofing.
I plan on trying to get collector plates when complete, and I will hold off naming the car until then. Since I've contemplated buying it, I've been getting some useful information on here, and was surprised there was so many performance parts, and forums with such knowledgeable people out here, and I can't wait to show my pride, and progress with all of you.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 45.52 KIB | Viewed 206 times ]

Installed parts: 3Tech 222/365 & +10 sprocket, TT control arm brace, M.A.C's front and rear strut bars, KYB front and rear shocks, cs130 alt upgrade, Raybestos professional control arms, NGK IX 3903's, 7.5mm Si mag core wireset, SRD single underdrive pulley, SRD bolt on header, flowmonster cat, K&N filter, synchromesh fluid.
Ordered/waiting to be installed: Sound deadening, custom paint.

Post subject: Re: Hogleg's New 91 Vert
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:17 pm 
banned and still posting

welcome to the forum, hogleg.

it's true, ohio is harsh on these old cars. i always sort of thought that it was the winter but it's actually the whole climate here. ohio cycles through the dew point a lot and the condensation inside internal cavities rusts the cars from the inside out. $100 worth of eastwood company internal frame spray and rust encapsulator stabilizes frame horns and rocker cavities really well.

i restored the chassis of a 91 vert that was originally sold in columbus and spent it's whole life here. i used the eastwood rustproofing and 2 years later it doesn't have any rot going on. i'll do 2 cars this summer, a summer car and a winter car.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:18 pm 

Great looking vert... I like the colour.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:39 am 

T3, I have found a bit of dusty surface rust inside the rag top compartment, but the rest of the floor is bright and clean. Planning on sandblasting any rust I see, and paint everything I can see inside and under the car with Por-15, then completly dynomat the interior. (Although most road noise comes from the rag top. Lol)
I've been hearing good stuff about the eastwood stuff, and after I paint the undercarriage, I plan on using something like that, or fluidfilm for an oil spray. I guess NASA and the military use it. I hear it was/is used to keep ships from rusting in the ocean!

Stuff is a bit pricy, but money is no object when it comes to rustproofing in Ohio right?

http://www.fluid-film.com/testing.html

That Eastwood frame stuff looks pretty fn sweet, thinking ill use that then the fluid film after it cures for ultimate protection!

Thanks Scotty, I think it's the gm sunburst orange.
It was a woman's car, to toughen it up I'm thinking black rocker paint up to the body line, then monster energy green for the rest.

Installed parts: 3Tech 222/365 & +10 sprocket, TT control arm brace, M.A.C's front and rear strut bars, KYB front and rear shocks, cs130 alt upgrade, Raybestos professional control arms, NGK IX 3903's, 7.5mm Si mag core wireset, SRD single underdrive pulley, SRD bolt on header, flowmonster cat, K&N filter, synchromesh fluid.
Ordered/waiting to be installed: Sound deadening, custom paint.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:42 pm 

Nice pick up - welcome to the world of Vert ownership. Like the color as I favor red.