TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:58 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:32 pm 

Hi All! Thanks for such a great site! I had no idea there was such a following for Swifts! I just purchased my Swift to strictly commute to work in, but I am happy to have found this site! I am going to keep my F-150 and only drive it occassionally as it sadly gets 12MPG. i will try to contribute to this site when I can. I hope I posted this correctly as i am not very computer savvy. I am unable to post any pictures to this site for some reason.

About The Car: 92 Suzuki Swift 1.3L, MK 3, 5 Speed, 2 door Hatchback. I bought it from a retired gentleman who only drove the car a few months out of the year when he was in town. It has 141,000 miles. It has a new timing belt, water pump, and tires, and it has recent clutch, and CV boots. The car has no leaks, and it does not smoke. It starts up and drives great. 1st Fill-up got me 38.5 MPG prior to tune-up. The paint is trashed as it is an Arizona car, but it has no rust.

What I Have Done: I replaced the stereo with a Pioneer AM/FM/CD/AUX 4 channel, got to have tunes! I replaced the center brake light bulb with Sylvania Bulb # 921LL. I replaced the air filter with STP # SA6376, the old one was black. I replaced the PCV valve # CV1161DL, the old one cracked when I touched it, and it was allowing oil into the air filter pan. Replaced the Spark Plugs with NGK V Power BPR6EY-11. The old ones were in sad shape. Replaced the Spark Plug Wires with Duralast # 9741, as the old ones had nicks in them. I also added fuel system conditioner.

What The Car Needs: I am working on a budget and I will be slowly getting the following items completed when I can. I also intend on buying a shop manual to assist in these tasks. A/C: The previous owner had removed the A/C for better MPG. All of the components are in a box in my garage, I will be trying to piece it together and get it working. It's damn hot here, I got to have AC! Fuel System: On my intial fill-up the gauge never went to completely full. As I used the tank up, it went down and then hovered just above empty. The car began sputtering and died a couple of times. I thought it was out at 290 miles. When I filled it, it only took 7.55 gallons equalling the 38.5 MPG. I found out later these have a 10.6 gallon tank. I figure I need to disassemble the fuel pump intake as maybe the sock is clogged. Shocks: Need replacement, as I think they are original. Electrical: The left turn signal does nothing; ie no clicks, no arrow, no flashing lights. The right turn signal works great. I replaced the flasher with a used one, but it changed nothing. I will try a new one. Window Tint: Hey man,the sun is blinding here! Paint: I'm thinking flat black all the way around- Murdered out! Door Handles: The driver's side does not work, passengers side is very sticky. Hatchback Struts: need replacement.

I think that is it, I hope I posted correctly, I will sure try to help when I can. Thanks again for a great site, and I appreciate any thoughts or comments.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:43 pm 

aah..the swift owners favorite words "no rust"
welcome to the show
pick a chore and enter it into the search
stumped ??? just ask, plenty of good people here in the know

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:25 am 

The search button is your best friend.

For uploading pictures viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4

With fuel tank would be good to clean tank and replace fuel filter (fuel cleaner might mave move the junk from tank to filter. Chances are that has never been touched. If guage is giving you dud readings might be problem with float in tank. Also could use some carb cleaner to remove deposits.

Another site to look at is ecomodder.com. The swifts/geo's are popular and if frugal driving is the game there are some good tips there.

As to painting it, I would definitely rethink black. Read up about how "colour" (or color :roll: ) works. Your best bet is white. Not only does it look cleaner (ie. dirt doesnt show as much) it will reflect heat more efficiently. Less AC usage means less power draw, means better MPG.

Note on your new plugs I believe you have swapped to a set with a larger gap (hence the "11" designation). NGK BPR6ES with standard gap of 0.8mm over the 1.1mm plug you have I believe are probably your standard plug. This will impact economy as they will probably burn a little hotter and wear faster. You might see better economy initially but you will need to replace plugs more often to maintain this as mileage will go in opposite direction after a point.

Best option is a factory copper plug with factory gap or a fine electrode at preset gap - usually 1mm (will potentially improve mileage but I dont think it is worth it for price of most of these plugs).

Note that there are a couple of different 1.3L engines. Presume yours is the 1.3L SOHC carb engine.

On the doors, do you mean handles or window winders? If handles might be that some of the plastic clips holding the push rods have come off or more likely broken. Some lube might help free things up as well as I imagine there is a lot of dust that's getting into the door cavity.

Gas hatch struts are easy to get hold of. There was another thread here by a north american talking about where they got theirs from and the warranty included meant he got a few free replacements over the years.

I would check your spare as well as chances are its the original tyre and rubber might split easily after 20 years of non use...

Enjoy car. These are good little grocery go getters and very reliable.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:55 pm 

Hi, welcome to the boards. One of our users here 'Phil N Ed' is an expert when it comes to A/C and he's posted a few topics around in the air conditioning section, and that should help you with the re-assembly. My factory manual helped for me to install mine, in fact I recovered an entire system from the wreckers and had it installed. They even give you all the proper pressure values, torque values and etc required for a proper installation. :razz:

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:44 am 

hello i have swift(cultus) i have seen many swift riderz using 16 or 17 inch rims.i aslo want to upgrade to 16 inch(currently using 13 inch which is also recommended size) but i have heard that it spoils suspension of car(engine also gives noise) so what should i do to upgradeto 16 inch? change suspension? suggestions plzz......

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:24 pm 

Thank you for your great comments. I do appreciate it, and I will try some of your suggestions. Thanks! :D