TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 5:24 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:32 am 
Mk1 fiend
Mk1 fiend

I received disappointing news today, I took my favourite red Mk1 down the the mechanics two days ago with a load noise in the front end, thinking maybe a bush or something

Today he delivered me the bad news, the front chassis on the drivers side has completely collapsed and to repair will cost around $3,500 - as the engine needs to come out then full rebuild of the front corner etc, then engine back in. :cry: :cry: :cry:

After owning this awesome car for over 12 years, always truly fun and enjoyable, it seems that I will have to say goodbye. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Unless there is some keen person out there in Australia that wants to but it to rebuild a front end to keep it going, I think the best thing to do is strip the car and sell off all the good parts, the engine and gearbox are very sought after by racers here

Such a shame :cry: I will miss her!!! RIP SuziQ

Attachments:
IMG_2274.JPG
IMG_2274.JPG [ 95.83 KIB | Viewed 1617 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:27 am 
Teamswift Racer

Condolences my friend, always hurts losing a loved one :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:34 pm 

Whoa nice cars there. To bad about the red one! :(

By any chance do you know how many mk1 GTi are left in Australia? Or even an estimate?

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:58 pm 
Mk1 fiend
Mk1 fiend

instant_shine wrote:
Whoa nice cars there. To bad about the red one! :(

By any chance do you know how many mk1 GTi are left in Australia? Or even an estimate?

That would be a good question, similiar to how long is a piece of string ...

I believe that the initial amount of Mk1 GTi's (not the standard mk1 Swift) imported into Australia over the three year period (mid 1986 - October 1988) was around 600. These figures are never known as there were two main importers, one from Sydney (Ateco) and Mayfair Motors in Qld. I Also believe there was a seperate importer over in WA.

The biggest issue is that Suzuki Australia has never entered into the importing of these GTi's only Mk1 Swifts (and the 4 door Barina's were bought in by GM Holden) as such have no records. Mayfair Motors closed long ago, so no way of sourcing their information as well.

If there were only 600, then I have already seen my fair share of these with the people that I know that have owned them. as well as I have personally owned and sold at least 7 GTi's as well as parted out at least five others I obtained (damaged vehicles etc).

It is such a shame that there are now so few around and those that are are mostly not cared for, only a few are getting the true TLC (such as Alexei down in Sydney)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am 

:-P time to learn how to weld!
I never really cared for the mk 1 cars, but once I saw them with the body kits, and then the 1.3, that would be a fun sleeper car.....''hey, look at the ricer with the body kit and loud exhaust''......then you mash the throttle to the floor and leave them wondering :huh: WTF just happened :huh: all I see is taillights!

or find a clean donor car to swap all those nice parts onto :wink: .....that might be a challenge to find a clean mk1 chassis.

good luck!

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:05 pm 

Sorry for your loss. Sad day all round. Looks like the MK1 days are drawing to a close. You might even have to downgrade to a MK3 :blackeye: Good luck with whatever you decide for the future (and good luck with the business venture)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:31 pm 

You could just sell all the parts, or the front clip to the U.S, just find a buyer here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:34 pm 
Mk1 fiend
Mk1 fiend

86mk1gti wrote:
Sorry for your loss. Sad day all round. Looks like the MK1 days are drawing to a close. You might even have to downgrade to a MK3 :blackeye: Good luck with whatever you decide for the future (and good luck with the business venture)

It looks like I am 'downgrading' I have purchased a Mk3 Suzuki Swift GTi 'Brame' (it was a dealers custom bulit model realeased from Action Motors in Sydney). These cars have a few extra tweaks as well as leather interior.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:36 pm 
Mk1 fiend
Mk1 fiend

RP91gt wrote:
You could just sell all the parts, or the front clip to the U.S, just find a buyer here.

I could - but it looks like I already have some willing buyers here in Australia - especially for the motor and Mk1 Group A parts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:48 pm 

Have two set of keys?

Need all locking cylinders

hatch
2 doors
steering column
+2 keys

Mine has a "mix" of cylinders to I have to use different keys...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:25 pm 
Mk1 fiend
Mk1 fiend

Well the weekend was spent with my son stripping down the old gal ready for the body to be sent of to the wreckers. :cry:

During the strip down found so many cracks, bog fills and lots of cancer, so the decision to scrap the car was a good one. I am glad I just didn't think i could on-sell the troubles to an unsuspecting buyer for the car to be in an accident and someone being severely injured or worse as the body and chassis were really starting to be compromised. (we found a 20cm [8in] crack running up the firewall from the steering rack as well as numerous cracks and fractures throughout the subframe and chassis)

Attachments:
IMG_3745.JPG
IMG_3745.JPG [ 289.26 KIB | Viewed 574 times ]
IMG_3743.JPG
IMG_3743.JPG [ 304.56 KIB | Viewed 574 times ]
IMG_3742.JPG
IMG_3742.JPG [ 186.93 KIB | Viewed 574 times ]
IMG_3740.JPG
IMG_3740.JPG [ 218.59 KIB | Viewed 574 times ]
IMG_3739.JPG
IMG_3739.JPG [ 180.88 KIB | Viewed 574 times ]
IMG_3738.JPG