TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:45 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:58 pm 

Since the new year I've been having problems with my PP account automatically converting US payments to CDN dollars.

They say the problem is on the senders end. Both senders have confirmed that they've sent it in US, but in my account it's in CDN dollars.

They tell me that they've made changes since the new year and the currency must be chosen, or it will otherwise convert automatically to the currency in the country where it's sent.
I'm calling bullshit, because as far as I know, it's always been that way.

What I need is a US customer to send me a small amount in US dollars, and I will immediately refund it, to see if it converts, or stays in US.

So... if anybody is willing to help me out here, I'd appreciate it. Send me a PM and I'll tell you the email address, and what to do. US people only, as the only one not to convert was a US$ payment coming from within Canada.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:09 am 

I am also having the same problem, As a Nigerian Prince I can't spend the time to deal with this. I would show my gratitude to you by paying you back 10 times the money you send me to be able to help me sort this mess out.

If we encounter a problem I will double the original ROI as long as you pay me the $75 court cost to straighten it out.

Contact me for my PayPal info. :lol:

Sorry Mike. I haven't used PayPal in nearly a year outside Canada. If you're having a problem it comes back on all of us Canucks. Keep us informed please.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:14 pm 

:ROFL: :ROFL:

'60 Austin Healey Sprite, '67 Austin Healey 3000, '74 celica GT w/ 18rg, '88 RX7 10th anniversary, '89 MR2 SC, '05 Infiniti G35 6MT

Had
'80 Renault Le Car, '73 Celica ST, '76 VW Rabbit, '96 Honda Civic Si coupe, '87 Toyota Corolla GTS hatchbk
Casually looking for
early 240Z, Celica All-Trac ST165, Supra Turbo A80, NSX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:28 am 

Meanwhile, suprf1y has 85 people sending him $10. US or Canadian, that's righteous bucks.

The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.

Ayn Rand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:21 pm 

Ha suckers.

I'll be 55 in a few days, that's my retirement money!!

Woodie came through. Problem solved.

FYI, PP has made some changes. If you send money, it now automatically converts to the receivers currency unless you change it manually.

Thanks Woodie.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:54 pm 

I just bought some parts from Rockauto using PayPal.

Rockauto listed its price in Canadian dollars but when I used PayPal it converted the Rockauto price back to US dollars before converting it to Canadian dollars at a different rate. Rockauto's system showed a payment $5 less than PayPal charged me. Very confusing. . I'd like to know who is making this money on spot US/ Cdn. Exchange rate. I think it is PayPal making extra money since Rockauto is selling goods priced in localized currency at a favorable Cdn. Exchange rate.

Superfly how can you select a different currency in PayPal? It seems to offer no choice.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:32 am 

suzukitom wrote:
I'd like to know who is making this money on spot US/ Cdn. Exchange rate.

Elon Musk

You're financing the hyperlink. And SolarCity. And Tesla. And SpaceX.

The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.

Ayn Rand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:43 am 

Quote:
I think it is PayPal making extra money

It's always PP making extra money. That's what they do. It's a very expensive service, but people seem to want to use it, so in the end, they have to pay for it, one way or another.

Quote:
how can you select a different currency in PayPal?

From Woodie

Quote:
There are separate denomination settings for send and receive. When I put in your address it automatically set these for USD send and CAD receive. I sent one that way, and another after manually resetting both to USD.

Maybe Rock auto can set it so they can only accept US$

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:28 am 

suprf1y wrote:
Ha suckers.

I'll be 55 in a few days, that's my retirement money!!

Woodie came through. Problem solved.

FYI, PP has made some changes. If you send money, it now automatically converts to the receivers currency unless you change it manually.

Thanks Woodie.

so if i understand right, a guy in the US send you 1000$ USD you will receive 1000$ CAD and paypal will keep the 332$ exchange rate difference??? that is a huge steal?

td05h-16g @ 18 psi
SRP forged civic piston
suprf1y's 200-335i 210-240e camshaft
1.6 gearbox with swift sport 2007 gear ratios
cusco 1way LSD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:15 am 

No. You would (for example) receive ~$1330 +/- and PP would pocket the difference between the exchange rate they offer and the real exchange rate, usually a few points, like any bank. My problem is that I want to keep some US$ in my account for when I buy things out of the US. Now I have to convert it back to US$ and pay the exchange loss again.

PP is not stupid, they look for opportunities like this to take as many points as they can on every transaction.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:51 am 

If you have ever purchased anything from out of country, or even within yours, and are worried about the vendors, PayPal will give you that peace of mind.

They will pay the vendors right away so the items are shipped as soon as they receive the payment, but they do not withdraw the money from your account until it is delivered with confirmation from the courier.

The trick is to make sure the item is received within 45 days. Otherwise they may not have any recourse.

Not meaning to dig up old bones... while search online for swift goods I found our once trusted vendor of parts from Malaysia selling decals off eBay. He even has a long FAQ section at the end of which says pursue if your don't receive the good after 45 days. :?

'60 Austin Healey Sprite, '67 Austin Healey 3000, '74 celica GT w/ 18rg, '88 RX7 10th anniversary, '89 MR2 SC, '05 Infiniti G35 6MT

Had
'80 Renault Le Car, '73 Celica ST, '76 VW Rabbit, '96 Honda Civic Si coupe, '87 Toyota Corolla GTS hatchbk
Casually looking for
early 240Z, Celica All-Trac ST165, Supra Turbo A80, NSX