TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:24 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:32 am 

Hi n1tr0,

The Teflon scrapers for the G10 and G13 engines are available -- they were the first ones we made and we used them for quite some time in our daily driver.

Here is a pic: http://www.crank-scrapers.com/g10.jpg

Two generations of designs for the G series engines have passed since the group buy -- the standard scrapers now hang off the main bearing caps.

Right now I am working on yet another generation of scrapers that (when possible) have baffles extending into the engine and sump to segregate the piston bays. This helps to further disrupt windage clouds by making it much more difficult for them to propagate along the length of the crank. This is something you can see in the Ford Zetec engine.

I am finishing up the 4th gen designs for the b-series Honda engines as well as for the Fiat 1800 and 2000. Needless to say, the designs are very time-consuming. I am taking a break here at 3:00AM. I will work on a version for the Suzuki engines if there is interest. Project #2001 ...
:)

I would love to be able to use a water abrasive jet or laser cutter but they are simply too expensive at present (over $100,000). We only make scrapers and if you run the numbers you can see that we would need to make (and SELL of course) very large quantities. When we started this business it was as a means to pay back gigantic student loans and employ ourselves. It was a real Kierkegaardian leap of faith to go yet another $30,000 in debt to buy a CNC plasma cutter just to make crank scrapers.

Anyway, I am donating one Teflon scraper to the TeamSwift forum (your choice of G10 or G13) and you can figure out some sort of contest to award it.

Back to work...

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:52 am 

Kevin, Let me get this right. You are working on a new scraper and windage tray combo. If so, Please e-mail me or PM me. I have some questions. I was going to do something like this. With one other design aspect. Please contact me.

Jay
jbmcgalli@yahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:32 pm 

Hi Jay,

What I am working on right now (for other engines) are extensions (dividing baffles) that extend off of the scraper substructure.

The G-series technically already have a windage tray -- that is a mechanical shield that helps inhibit direct contact between the rotating assembly and sump reservoir. Many windage trays have crank scraper type devices built into them which is a good idea. I try whenever possible to make scrapers that work in unison with stock and aftermarket windage trays because they both serve important functions.

One good example would be the B/RB Chrysler engines -- the stock tray does isolate the bottom end but has no scrapers rather only ejection ports. The scraper we make fits between it and the block and people seem very pleased with it. If you look at Moroso's tray for the engine they have little louvers built in. Same idea with directional screening windage trays.

Kevin

92GT wrote:
Kevin, Let me get this right. You are working on a new scraper and windage tray combo. If so, Please e-mail me or PM me. I have some questions. I was going to do something like this. With one other design aspect. Please contact me.

Jay
jbmcgalli@yahoo.com

Post subject: Scraper ---> girdle
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:30 am 

Hi,

I corresponded with Jay and he indicated that there may be some interest in a main bearing girdle for the G10/G13 engines.

I have added this to our website under the Suzuki products. It is 1/2" steel and is designed to fit inside the stock pan. It clears the main cap arches on the engines I have here so you should not have to do any milling. The girdle will also allow the later scraper design for either the G10 or G13 to be used so you can get the best of both worlds. You will need to section and reweld your oil pickup support strut. I would be happy to do that for people at no charge if they just send me a core. The girdle is tapped with a M6 X 1.0 hole in the same relative position to remount it.

For the G13B engines this is designed to replace the "stiffeners" from the factory -- it is just a bit more massive. :wink:

Also, I do have designs to fit the later engines with the timing sensor in the oil pan.

So, here is another part to allow you to safely tweak your engines a bit more. 8)

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:51 am 

Kevin_Johnson wrote:
SNIP

Anyway, I am donating one Teflon scraper to the TeamSwift forum (your choice of G10 or G13) and you can figure out some sort of contest to award it.

Back to work...

Kevin

WOW, n1tr0, how is this going to work?
Suggestion: anyone who donates to the teamswift site from this day until Xmas, goes in to the draw for Xmas day.... minimum $1USD.

Opinions please.

Thanks Kevin. As my sump is off right now...... :wink:

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:28 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

a contest has been setup,
<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=11545">!! Holiday Contest - New Teflon Crank Scraper Give Away !!</a>

Post subject: girdle
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:35 pm 

I just finished installing a girdle and Teflon scraper on our daily driver -- took some pics.

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/girdle%20 ... teflon.jpg

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/girdle%20 ... on%20b.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:35 am 

Anyone still got these?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:39 am 
Teamswift Racer

10 years and almost 3 months...Wow that has to be some sort of dead post revival record =)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:36 am 

some one posted on here not to long ago. On a company that sells them. I will find it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:58 am 

well Kevin Johnson still seems to sell them http://www.crank-scrapers.com/Suzuki.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5