TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:13 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:41 pm 

Ok ill have to check the number on the trans to make sure what i got it out of. I dont remember 100% it was a bit ago and i looked at many many cars at the yards. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:58 pm 

Ok mine im pretty sure was from the lc2 body accent with the 1600cc motor. So i guess it is an alpha. Im going to check the number off the trans to make sure but i havent had a chance to make it to my friends house where all my stuff is. If it breaks for some reason i will get the beta trans. The weight was i think 2400 or 2600 for the accent so we are still 600-800lb lighter then them which will help. I will post more when i find out more with the adapter plate. I will be selling my 1953 buick friday to get a little money to work with and get him to see if he thinks he can make it and get a little more info. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:35 pm 

Ok we looked at the trans a little more and the tob on the hyundai tranny should work. The starter from the 1.3 will work and the adapter plate if you all wait till about mid april and an order of atleast 5 are made at the same time then it should be in the $175 range. It might be a little more or a little less. He figures it should be less but just to be safe figure around that. And if someone is wanting it asap the it would be about $225. It should be about 1/4 steel with studs sticking out both sides. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:31 pm 

Are you guys still interested??? Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:38 pm 

Interested for a g10 but i'd need to figure out axles beforehand. How is the accent setup? Passenger side is it straight or does it have an intermediate shaft?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:57 am 

It is soild with a rubber dampner in the middle. Im doing mine with out the intermediate just because that is one less thing to worry about and on my last motor i started pulling threads out of the block where it was mounted. I will try to get some pics up of them in a few days. I have been out of town so i havent got much done but im getting back on it. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:55 pm 

Yes, please do post lots of pics and descriptions (especially of the axle mods) that go into this. I look forward to it as nobody that has done it has done a proper write up about the conversion and I too am tired of popping GT trannys....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:37 pm 

Ok will do. the adapter will hopefully be done this week and im hopeing in the next few to have the car back on the road. Hopefully the stock 1.6 rods hold up to the 250whp. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:05 am 

Any update on the Hyundai adaptor plate?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:41 pm 

We are waiting on getting the motor together then we will be doing that. Money has been a bit hard to come by so its been taking a bit of time. I just got a different set of rods that i might let you guys know later for the 1.6. A cheap alternative but i want to get it all together and running befor i say anything. I should have the rest of my parts in a week or 2 so 3 weeks tops if everything goes right till motor is together. School has kept me busy andbroke so sorry for taking so long. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:04 am 

OK sorry its been so long. The bottom end is together and i had waited and got a better set of rods from a different motor i might put the info up about them after i run them for a bit. You could get a forged set for about $400-500 for the 1.6 but we will see if i feel nice later. The adapter plate has been cut rough for fitting right now and hopefully within the next week we will have a template for the 1.6 to hyundai trany. I will take more pics of the trans and all so you guys can see just how beefy they are. After the 1.6 adapter is made a 1.3 one shouldnt be hard but that will be after i get the car together. Figured i would give you guys an update. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:13 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

I'm really curious to see the progress on this one!

maybe a picture Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:48 pm 

I will try to get a few pics in the next few days. we are still fitting and trying to be carefull and get it right the first time. We made a special alignment tool to go from the trans shaft into the flywheel to make sure exspecially because the hyundai trans dont use a pilot bearing. We have the rough cut done and are getting the stud and bolt situation takin care of and trying to use all the bolt holes. Like i said it is rough cut so its not pretty yet. And i found out the trans i got is actually a 2001 that is a accent 1.6 trans so it is a beta. It wasnt in a 2001 car so that was confusing. I can post the gear raio if you guys want. The beta is the stronger of the 2 and i think the axles are a hair different. We are going to try to make the adapter plate fit both the 1.3 and 1.6 so that means the 1.0 if some one really wanted it. I dont know if it will line the bolt holes up right though. I started school back today so i will try to get on it when i can but i have a shit load of homework. About 10hrs of drugs to make cards for befor monday.............. :cry: .... i will try to get my homework done tommorrow and try to get the adapter finished and maybe hang the motor in the car this weekend. I have to wait for a set of valves from superfly befor i can get the head together. Timming belt broke on the daily so i had to steal the turbo head. Every valve was bent so i figure hey ss valves will be perfect. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:54 am 
banned and still posting

1.6L Accents are still Alphas, BUT they use the same bellhousings as the beta's. Drove the wife's accent yesterday, and now I remember why I hate this transmission so much. The synchros. Don't EVER expect them to last more than 15k miles. and if you get the chance, you might want to tack the diff pin in before it grenades itself.

Beta trans come from Elantras/Tibs and are a pull type clutch. Great trans, terrible clutch. Still have synchro issues, but not as bad and don't suffer from the weak diffs of the alpha trans. Remember, the alphas STRONGEST engine was 110hp in the current Accent. So they aren't exactly made for super high amounts of power.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:01 pm 

Ya but from the hyundai forums ive went to and talked to the people and the 2 turbo ones around here i have met up and talked to they havent had any problems with the trans other then slipping clutches. They say ours have a synchro problem too but i havent seen it. We will have to see though the 2 cars i saw were 250whp and the other was on 22 psi but he didnt have it dynoed. Anything is better then out crap glass trannies. will get pics tonight. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:04 am 

Like i said a ruogh cut alignment is perfect. Now we have to cut out the excess and finish it off. The hyundai uses a 7/8 shaft compaired to our little 3/4 input. That right there will be alot stronger. I want to weight the trans at some point because the hyundai is almost twice the weight i think but almost the same diminsions so the gears and everything must be a little better built. The clutch is the same as a d16, sidekick, accent.......... but never the less larger. So if you do the swap you atleast have a larger clutch going for you and a beefy case. I had 2 bearings bail on my swift trans befor and i think its from case flexing. The hyundai is braced like crazy. I will get more pics when done. I need to get a new flywheel we cut way to much off of mine so clutch ingaugement is minimal. 24lb 4x4 sidekick down to a 14lb so ya we for got to consider this. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks Stephen

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:47 am 

any update so far? just curious on how it ended up?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:15 pm 

Ya sorry i forgot about this thread. Car isnt running yet but plate is done. look under my pics or on my 1.6-1.3 thread

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:54 pm 

heres a pic of the plate. sorry i forgot to post it

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.