TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:08 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mystery Overheating
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:20 pm 

Mystery Overheating. 1997 Geo Metro 1.3 automatic. Overheats at highway speeds, relatively normal under 55mph/100klm. I have replaced the head gasket ($$$) all rad hoses,rad cap, thermostat, sensor. There are no leaks in the system at all, no oil or air. (oil is clean and good). Fan is functioning properly. I have noticed that after a short test run on the highway and the heat gauge is almost to the red line, the center of the rad is stone cold yet the top and bottom of the rad are to hot to touch. The problem started about a week after the head gasket and all hoses were done when the mechanic tore the rubber washer on the rad cap during a check and the car boiled over on the way home. I noticed the rip and the cap was changed. The car ran like a dream, 110/120klm all day no problem before this in hot or cold weather. This rad has had Bars Leak put in it once before I knew the head gasket was the problem. (exhaust gas was coming into the system but that's all fixed). Oh, rad seems in good shape. Could it be plugged with crap from the head gasket and boil over incidents? I know the old hoses were eaten away from the inside out by the exhaust gasses.

JFC

Post subject: Re: Mystery Overheating
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:27 pm 

JFC wrote:
Mystery Overheating. Could it be plugged with crap from the head gasket and boil over incidents? I know the old hoses were eaten away from the inside out by the exhaust gasses.
JFC

Been there, done that.
You have a bad radiator.
$100 or so and you're done.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:30 pm 

Agreed, its a common thing. Do it quick before you pop a head gasket!

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:11 pm 

Agreed. Your radiator cores are clogged.

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:20 pm 

Put a brand new rad in it today, seems to have solved the problem but I will know for sure when we hit the Highway for a good run tomorrow. Easy job, one hour in the driveway, no leaks, no problems and I still have all my knuckles. Thanks Guys.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:28 pm 

This happened on this Exploder, looked like a cracked head... Turned out to be the fuel filter.

So when did you last change the filter?

IIRC the '97 still had the filter hiding by the rear right wheel.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:33 pm 

What are you talking about? Fuel filters are not related to the cooling system or overheating. This was a very obvious problem and has been solved.
Replace fuel filters as maintenance, unless the thing is starving for fuel, dont expect a miraculous fix for everything on the vehicle. :huh:

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:36 am 

Like I said in the other thread... It was starving for fuel, I got very little back flow from the line running up the injectors when I pulled the filter, but fuel gushed out when I disconnected the other side... That filter was that plugged up... :|

The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:30 am 

gamefoo21. Hey man, your in the wrong thread here. "F.Y.I." This post is talking about engine overheating from a blocked rad, NOT fuel line blockages. Sorry to hear about your exploders fuel problems but that has nothing to do with the geo's overheating problems.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:07 pm 

I was merely suggesting a possible source of the issue, or a possible cause of inflamation to the overheating.

This was the first and the only time I've ever personally been able to see a direct link between engine temp and the fuel filters condition. I should also note that the fan clutch is seized up so the fan is always on, so the engine has a difficult time heating up until it's put under constant load such as 5th/OD and cruising with all my dad's tools in the back.

So nope... not wrong thread... I was merely going off the title, because I had done everything else I could to eliminate the possible causes of overheating.

Also of handy use:

IR thermometers are really handy at telling you if you have a blocked rad because you'll have a noticable temperature change as you spot check.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:33 pm 

Ahhh, I see. Now I understand what you are saying. Sorry, I thought you had just replied to the wrong thread for a moment there when you started talking about fuel filter replacement. I'll keep that in mind. So far with the new rad the overheating has stopped but the car still runs a little hotter (just a needle width over halfway on the gauge) than I like even with a summer thermostat in it but I guess that's just the way those little 1.3ltr,s are. Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:11 am 

Ahh no worries, I tend to tuck these things into threads like this because the search on this site can be a wee bit wonky at times. So I shared what happened with me.

Oh and don't worry about the idiot needle, that thing is only accurate to the point of saying cool - normal - hot, it will usually reside somewhere in the middle 40-50% of the gauge area quite literally, unless something is wrong then it'll swing up or swing down. So a little warm isn't anything to sweat, dead in the middle is where all of mine sit with the grounds upgraded 6 ways from sunday and a new sender unit installed. Regardless of 180 or 195 degree T-stat being installed.

Oh and something else... The old hoses were probably chewed up because of old coolant. Gates sells there hoses with this 'ECR' treatment, and it's supposed to retard the amount of electrolisis damage that happens to the hoses. Old rancid coolant is also the cause of the old rad clogging up more than likely.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:19 am 

Just make shore u change or check what am about to list because that’s what been working for my 1.3 geo and its working good
Thermostat
Temp sensor
Upper and lower hoses
Radiator
Cap
Flush heater core (look it up on how to flush heater core on you tube)
If u have all that new and it only gets hot when on u freeway? Go to AutoZone get water wetter and read on how you use it don’t just poor the whole bottle
I did that with my geo I change all what I listed never done head job for it and its got 170xxx still climbing miles and it’s doing great temp staying on half with a/c going 65 plus and freeway and stays their I love it no smoke no nothing
if u want to keep all the old stuff because they look good to u it may or may not work I haven’t test it u may have clog heater core or radiator, mine didn’t even come with thermostat and most people take them off witch is no good am not going to details with this so check it out and solve your problem of overheating thank you for reading

for more info let me know thank you