TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:20 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Apexi wiring FAQ
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:47 am 

Hi,

I recently wired my Apex-i S-AFC for my turbo application and got the proper wiring diagram from suzk91gt... Thanks :D . Since this wiring diagram wasn't found anywhere on the Teamswift forum, I decided to put a copy on this FAQ section.

Wiring diagram to install an Apex-i S-AFC on a swift :
    Each wires must be connected to its specific emplacement according to the ECU diagram (included with this post).
- Red (Power): connects to A1.
- Green (RPM): connects to C6.
- Grey (Trottle position): connects to A9.
- Yellow (Air Flow Meter): connects close (ie within 10 cm of) A6.
- White (Air Flow Meter): connects further to A6.
    Note: You must cut the Air Flow Meter (A6) wire so that the AFM signal has go to the apexi first and after to the ECU.
- Brown (Ground) : connects to B16 (within 10cm of the ecu)
- Black (Ground) : connects to B16 (ON THE MANIFOLD).
    If you don't do this correctly, you will harm the ECU. The ECU is grounding itself to the manifold also.

Standing at the front of the engine, on you right side of the intake manifold, there will be a screw with a few wires, screwed near the 4th cylinder piping from the plenum. That's where you must put this ground (black wire).
- Blue (Air/fuel): connects to A8.
    This wire is optional. When you are using an oxygen sensor on a turbo application and don't want the signal to go to the ECU and use it for tuning only, you can connect this wire to you oxygen sensor instead of the ECU.

Warning : The SSGTI.com wiring diagram have a errors on his wiring diagram.

Where SSGTI.com went wrong was with the grounding wires, they used B6 instead of B16. It sounds like a typo, but there is nothing connecting to B6 on the ecu. So in theory, if you connected the Apexi to this terminal, god knows what will happen to the ecu, let alone your Apexi.

Apex-i S-AFC setup:
For how to setup the Apex-i, I decided to quote this part of the SSGTI.com Apex-i FAQ ( http://www.ssgti.net/tech/apexi.htm ):
Quote:
Basic Setup Parameters

Once you have the unit up and running you will have to input some info.

1. Sensor Type - use HotWire w/ In and out set to 08. Sensor cal 1 and 1.
2. Car Select - Pick 4 cylinder and make sure the throttle arrow is pointing up
3. Grph Scale - Leave PR at 760mmHg on NA cars (higher on turbo cars). NE: 7000rpm (more if you rev often higher than that).
4. Sensor Check - Make sure you see some voltage on the afm and tps.

Now you are ready to tune the unit by modifying the high and low throttle fuel curves. The TH-Point is where you will define the difference between the low and high throttle. Setting the fuel curve is a simple matter of selecting the rpm point at which you want the correction made, and then using the arrow keys to indicate how much fuel you want to add or subtract. Between rpm setting the AFC will extrapolate the curve.

Since each GTi is different we can't make specific recommendations here and would suggest you get the car on the dyno and experiment on what works best with your modications.

Thanks. Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:23 am 
King of Pompous

Good job Dan. This one will definetly be handy to have.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:07 am 

Hi,

Can someone please explain why you connect the Green (RPM) wire to terminal C6 (ignition output signal to power unit) instead of terminal B1 (crank angle sensor) on the ECU? - I would've thought that the RPM input to the SAFC should come from the CAS in the distributor which measure actual engine speed.

Also, why do you connect the blue wire to the oxygen sensor? According to the SAFC manual, the blue wire is to be used (along with the white wire) for connecting to a 2-wire RB26DETT type MAF sensor). Yellow is then the A/F signal output to the the ECU).

Regards,

Ian.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:58 pm 

I´ve been installing a SAFC2 on my car and made this modification to the pic to be easier to understand... It kinda complements the post...

IT was lost somehow... edited...

Last edited by GroundScraper on Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:27 am 

bump.....

i set IN and OUT to 08 and revs haunt like crazy!.... Is there any other settings i could try?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:23 am 

Hi

will this work for any swift? I have a 1992 MK3 GT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:11 pm 

... :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:20 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

MK2/3 GTis have interchangable ECUs, so yes. Also consider the timeframe of the info in this thread. The earlier years of this forum exclusively catered to Swift GTis, so there is alot of older info that doesn't specifically declare that it applies to GTis.

( miracle pour hole)
maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject: Re: Apexi wiring FAQ
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:25 pm 

Dan GS DOHC wrote:
Hi,

I recently wired my Apex-i S-AFC for my turbo application and got the proper wiring diagram from suzk91gt... Thanks :D . Since this wiring diagram wasn't found anywhere on the Teamswift forum, I decided to put a copy on this FAQ section.

Each wires must be connected to its specific emplacement according to the ECU diagram (included with this post).
    Note: You must cut the Air Flow Meter (A6) wire so that the AFM signal has go to the apexi first and after to the ECU.
    If you don't do this correctly, you will harm the ECU. The ECU is grounding itself to the manifold also.

Standing at the front of the engine, on you right side of the intake manifold, there will be a screw with a few wires, screwed near the 4th cylinder piping from the plenum. That's where you must put this ground (black wire).
    This wire is optional. When you are using an oxygen sensor on a turbo application and don't want the signal to go to the ECU and use it for tuning only, you can connect this wire to you oxygen sensor instead of the ECU.

Where SSGTI.com went wrong was with the grounding wires, they used B6 instead of B16. It sounds like a typo, but there is nothing connecting to B6 on the ecu. So in theory, if you connected the Apexi to this terminal, god knows what will happen to the ecu, let alone your Apexi.

Apex-i S-AFC setup:
For how to setup the Apex-i, I decided to quote this part of the SSGTI.com Apex-i FAQ ( http://www.ssgti.net/tech/apexi.htm ):
Quote:
Basic Setup Parameters

3. Grph Scale - Leave PR at 760mmHg on NA cars (higher on turbo cars). NE: 7000rpm (more if you rev often higher than that).

Now you are ready to tune the unit by modifying the high and low throttle fuel curves. The TH-Point is where you will define the difference between the low and high throttle. Setting the fuel curve is a simple matter of selecting the rpm point at which you want the correction made, and then using the arrow keys to indicate how much fuel you want to add or subtract. Between rpm setting the AFC will extrapolate the curve.

Since each GTi is different we can't make specific recommendations here and would suggest you get the car on the dyno and experiment on what works best with your modications.

Thanks. Daniel

How can I connect this to a Esteem engine that does not have MAF and has a MAP instead?

Post subject: Re: Apexi wiring FAQ
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:56 am 

Gonzalo Bravo wrote:
Dan GS DOHC wrote:
Hi,

Apex-i S-AFC setup:
Quote:
Basic Setup Parameters

Thanks. Daniel

How can I connect this to a Esteem engine that does not have MAF and has a MAP instead?

Any help???