TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:39 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:24 am 

This part of my project includes doing away with my crappy headlamp units that are causing poor visibility. I am converting my "Aero Style" molded headlamps with the "Bucket Style" lamps with sealed beams.

"Why replace the aerodynamic lights with the bucket style?"

It's entirely up to the owner. Replacement lamps for my car are well over $100.00 each and I do not plan on dumping that kind of money into the car just yet. I also prefer the older style lamps because they do not get foggy or discolor and are also way cheaper to replace. I may lose some aerodynamics like this, but I would rather have good visibility since the deer around here are cornfed.

This guide will be similar for whatever conversion you decide to do since the steps are all similar.

First off, remove the 2 screws that attach the headlamp unit to the car and carefully pop it out and unplug the connectors..............

Next step is to wire in the plugs since the sealed beam takes a different plug than the aero type...........

I bought 2 new connectors and spliced them in. It was pretty easy for the headlamps since the center terminal goes to the same location on both. Use a test light to figure out which the other 2 wires are. One is "Hi beam" and the other wire is "Low beam".............

Take your lamp and mount and you will see there are 4 mounting holes already in place. The mounting bolts from a car with bucket lights installed will not work since the holes are too big, so I used bolts and nuts................

After they are bolted on, simply plug in the side marker lamp into the replacement unit or housing and then mount them on.
Does this car not look 10 times better now.................

Wait a minute! If the older "Bucket Style" lights come from a car with turn signals mounted in the bumper, how will mine work? Well, the lamps I installed behind the grill have a 2 way bulb in them. I simply cut the wires from the turn signal socket and spliced the marker lamps to the dim side and the turn signals on the bright side of the filament. This makes me 100% legal.................

Thanks to RacerX from ecomodder.com for sending out his unused lamps for me!

NOTE:
My old lamps are garbage and not worth anything to anyone. I had to cut the mounting tabs on both units to remove them since the bolts were seized. I then used vice grips to remove the bolts since the Phillips parts stripped out.

• Build Video
  • 1991 4 Door Truck Conversion
  • Modified Suzuki 1.0L Engine
  • High Stall 3200 RPM Converter
  • Auto Trans with Welded Differential
  • Custom Exhaust and Intake System
  • 6" Suspension Lift & Weight Reduction
  • 27" Kenda Executioner 6 Ply ATV tires

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:54 am 

Good first step. Now get rid of the sealed beams! :D
http://www.rallylights.com/SearchResult ... goryID=364

1991 Swift - Parts car (gone)
1990 Swift - Parts car
1997 Metro - Parts car (gone)
1993 Metro - Parts car
1989 Swift GTi - Parts car
1998 Metro - Parts car

Last edited by Gasoline Fumes on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:15 am 

That's a shame as the 98 - 01 flush lamps are superior in light output and polish up nicely with some Meguire's plastic polish.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:03 pm 

Woodie wrote:
That's a shame as the 98 - 01 flush lamps are superior in light output and polish up nicely with some Meguire's plastic polish.

Don't forget, after the use of polish, buy some clear coat for rims, and apply a few coats.

This prevents the polycarbonate from rehazing, and the clear coat is superior in scratch resistance, if you want to go even further, you can contact some of the screen protection overlay companies and they will cut pieces to fit.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:22 am 

I have been driving my new-er swift (99), and its light output is far superior to my old 95 with the crappy composites.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:00 pm 

I did the same conversion on my 91 Sprint (went from plastic to sealed beams) and I bought the most expensive sealed beams at CT and... The results are very disapointing. I bought Sylvania Silver Star sealed beams 35$ each.

I used to drive a 88 GMC with smaller sealed beams and geez, in pitch dark it was like day!

However, the link that Gasoline Fumes provided is REALLY interresting!!! What model(s) would fit in our metros?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:16 pm 

This is just the opposite of what I'm doing. I'm going for the more aerodynamic style.
UPDATE 10-10 Just finished it off. I like it so far. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:17 pm 

BUMP!!!

Thanks to "Gasoline Fumes", I contacted Susquehanna Motorsports about their conversion kits and ordered a H6545 Kit to replace those darn Sylvania H4656 that died after a year and a half. Gregg and Wil took care of all my concerns and questions, over phone and email, and I give them an important point: they reply FAST! :)

As for the conversion kit, I must say WOW, this is the biggest improvement on lightning I've ever seen on that car. I ordered the standard H4 bulbs and even though they are yellowish, now it's like noon at midnight.

The kits got a bit expensive to me (150$ CAN including shipping to my door and custom fees for the two headlights kit) but I seriously think it's worth it. Now I'm a lot less worried about deers jumping out of the dark :P

The lightning is like that of my 97 Geo Tracker and my 88 GMC K1500, and with a bit of adjustment, it'll be even better.

:thumb2:

here's an updated link

or simply www.rallylights.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:49 pm 

Gasoline Fumes wrote:
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/165mm_lo.asp

Actually I've found a better ones! perfect finish with rubber protection behind:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Universa ... 238wt_1165

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:59 pm 

Manny wrote:
Gasoline Fumes wrote:

Actually I've found a better ones! perfect finish with rubber protection behind:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Universa ... 238wt_1165

I'd buy Hella or Cibie over some eBay crap.
If you want clear lenses:
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4251
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1787

Sometimes you can find deals on good lights on eBay. Just stick to good brands that have been around for decades.

1991 Swift - Parts car (gone)
1990 Swift - Parts car
1997 Metro - Parts car (gone)
1993 Metro - Parts car
1989 Swift GTi - Parts car
1998 Metro - Parts car

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:28 am 

just rear-ended a ford ranger friday - finding my 95 Swift has sealed beams which do not interchane with 95-97, or 98-01 metro - cannot find AT ALL on ebay - is there a retrofit? I'd prefer the 98-01 metro sealed beams as they look and (apparently) work beter, AND are available....

anyone?