TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:23 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: egr routing and problems
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:18 am 

hello,
i am new and glad to be here with you guys.my 1998 metro is doing the notorious egr flow code.I press on the diaphram to the egr with my finger and the car wants to stall so i figure there are no block passages.i have cleaned the egr numerous times.I also put vacuum to the egr and as i raise the throttle it moves in and out freely so it seems good.I looked at the vacuum hose routing numerous times and it seems right could someone upload a pic so i could see it visually.also blew out the modulator its pushing air through the top holes i just dont have a vacuum gauge to check the bottom larger hole on the modulator.when i took the hose off the bottom modulator to check backpressure from the egr it does have backpressure as i raise the throttle.the vacuum solonoid is pulling vacuum because that is the hose i used to check to see if the egr was moving with vacuum.I am thinking its the modulator or the i some how hooked a vaccum hose up wrong.any help would be greatly appreciated as i dont wont to burn out my #3 valve thanks guys i hope to learn alot about metros from you pros!!
John Belgarde
R.I. newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:36 pm 

Here is what I did to correct my egr problem like you everything seemed to check out and be fine so after trying everything i could think of I started fresh I bought some brass pipe burshes from my local plumbing shop and 4 cans of carb cleaner and i cleaned every component in the egr system passages and all. Weather they checked out or not from the exhaust manafold to the intake all of it till i wore out all 5 brushes and used all the carb cleaner. Then I went to autozone a bought a silicone vac hose kit about $17.00 US and replaced every vac hose on the car.

A vac leak or several small leaks can cause egr problems so i replaced every hose on the car, Not a big job took me about a hour and 45 min for the cleaning and to replace the hoses.

after that i started the car everything worked right and to check egn light went out and has not come back on it been about 5 weeks now.

Give it a shot may work for you to....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:36 pm 

thanks i will try that ,those hoses also look great!!! good job :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:46 am 

Well i hope that it will fix your problem I know how diffacult it is to get an egr problem fixed fought with mine for guite some time before i got it fixed

Glad you like the the vac lines got more cleaning to do in the eng compartment but it's coming along pretty well going to try to polish the valve cover soon as well

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:59 pm 

can anyone tell me the proper routing of the vacuum hoses thanks