TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:15 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:03 am 
Offline
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:58 am
Posts: 8142
Location: Seattle, WA
it's been a while, so i thought i'd post <a href="http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?p=21567&highlight=shitladder#21567">this link</a> to our other admins shit-ladder theory. it's good that we have a community that doesn't take ourselves too seriously, our swifts are not $180000 exotic sports cars, they're swifts. quick, nimble, fun to drive, fun to work on, fun to turbo, etc....
cheers :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:43 am 
Offline
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:22 pm
Posts: 6438
Location: Surrey, BC
I suppose one way of looking at is that the very fact that someone buys parts to mod a "shitbox" implies some level of dissatisfaction for stock performance or a desire for more performance. Personally I like working on my Swift because it gives me an oppurtunity to apply my own vision of automotive engineering. When you buy an exotic you are buying a cookie-cutter car. Very very few people ever mod exotics. When you buy a cookie-cutter exotic you are identifing with the fundamentals and ideals of the company that built it. For example Porsche builds fabulous performance vehicles, but I question the reasons for vehicles like the Cayenne or why their current 911 Turbo weighs 3500 lbs even if it has 415 hp. I identify more with companies like Lotus and their Esprit products; a lightweight car powered by a turbocharged 4 cylinder engine. Now if they could only figure out their styling, pop up lights and old school styling on their Esprits, and their new Elise is butt-ugly. But my point is that there are more unique shitboxes than unique exotics.

_________________
Image
jaguar,vettes&sprints wrote:
...can you inlighten me about lihtan's
( miracle pour hole)
maybe a picture Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:11 pm
Posts: 49
Location: NW WA
This is where a friend and myself differ. We both love the work people have done on their cars to mod them up. However he knows that he does not have the time or the skill to do that quality of work. Thus he prefers the exotics and pre-build sports cars. It's not that he doesn't appreciate modded vehicles, far from it. He just prefers something already done.

As for the Elise, I disagree with you about it's attractiveness. That is a sweet little car. :)

_________________
"Here that? It's like a Go-Kart, only meaner!" - SJ410 and Metro Convertible


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: turbo'd 4 banger
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:44 pm 
Offline
Teamswift Racer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:41 pm
Posts: 1697
Location: Armstrong British Columbia
SRT - 4
nuf said

_________________
89' Swift GTi Road Race car - 130hp NA - Helical Torsion Diff, 4.71 final Gti guts


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: turbo'd 4 banger
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:30 pm
Posts: 142
Location: kelowna BC
MURR wrote:
SRT - 4
nuf said


now those are uggmmooooo

_________________
-92 metro, too blue too gay, SOLD
-81 Toyota Corona winter beater, R.I.P.
-85 gsx-r R.I.P. (now in liams hands to revive)
-90 GT in a million pieces.....
-CBR600F2 frankenbike
-70 MBenz 280s pimpstress


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:42 pm
Posts: 1464
Location: Guelph, Ontario
I like the idea of pouring my heart and soul into my little shitbox to make it go. Buying a fast car and racing it is fun, but it's not an accomplishment. But making a little 3 cyl fast, or at least not slow, now thats something. Besides, i like that my car will be one of a kind. I mean, If i do any mods, i can't normaly go and buy them off the shelf. I pretty much have to do it all custom, which is alot better than all these honda civic racers that all have identical cars, with all the same parts. its so monotinous. My buddy has a GMC Senoma with a 4cyl. I love his truck, for the same reason. All the work he has done, except for the lowering kit, has all been custom. Cars like this are great because they promote creativity, in the tunning aspect at least.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:03 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:26 pm
Posts: 4111
Location: seattle
:goodpost:

_________________
GO FAST TURN LEFT!! IF YOU HAVE TO TURN RIGHT, YOU NEED A ROUND OF WEDGE!!!

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: turbo'd 4 banger
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:30 pm 
Offline
The Smuggler
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:34 am
Posts: 2879
Location: Surrey, BC CANADA
g13b_destroyer wrote:
MURR wrote:
SRT - 4
nuf said


now those are uggmmooooo


Ditto on the Uggmmooooo :wink:

_________________
"I love the whine of a turbo in the mornin" 1991 Sprint Turbo
"I also love the 7500 rpm scream of a DOHC" :razz: 2X 1989 Swift GTi's a 92 and Jr's new 93 GT

Keep your eye on the boost guage!
And I love this one!
"Dale Jarrett's crew chief" "Drive it like ya STOLE IT!"
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:57 am 
Offline
Sparky
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:05 pm
Posts: 845
Location: Beautifull North Carolina
RotaryGreg wrote:
I like the idea of pouring my heart and soul into my little shitbox to make it go. Buying a fast car and racing it is fun, but it's not an accomplishment. But making a little 3 cyl fast, or at least not slow, now thats something. Besides, i like that my car will be one of a kind. I mean, If i do any mods, i can't normaly go and buy them off the shelf. I pretty much have to do it all custom, which is alot better than all these honda civic racers that all have identical cars, with all the same parts. its so monotinous. My buddy has a GMC Senoma with a 4cyl. I love his truck, for the same reason. All the work he has done, except for the lowering kit, has all been custom. Cars like this are great because they promote creativity, in the tunning aspect at least.


Try doing Custom work on a Fiero! I walk around parking lots with a tape measure to see if this or that will fit. I have parts from 7 diffferent cars on mine atm and I will end up with most likely 5 or 6 more when all is said and done. There is very little aftermarket for the Fiero and if you do get it, chances are very high at least 3 other people will show up at the event with the same mod. One off stuff is tough and hard to do. Although not a lot of custom work but a lot of thinking went into the Fiero V8. I have parts from below. Now When I go to shows, I am PROUD to say : I BUILT THIS!

Pontiac Fiero
Dodge Shadow Rear Wing
Headlights from a Geo Storm
Motor from a Caddy Eldo
Coil overs from a Honda (yeah they can be made to fit)
Chevelle Wagon Tranny Mounts
Camero Tensioner
Astro Van Idler Pully
Olds 88 Distributor
SBC Plug Wires
Bonneville Rear Sway Bar
Grand Am Disc Brakes
Blazer Brake Master Cyl
Cavalier Z24 Flywheel

Gotta love GM one size fits all principal :twisted:

Now I do not mind people buying their hot rod, just when they do and say they Built or workedon it, well it pisses me off. :evil:

_________________
Metroless and looking for another already!!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 07, 2002 10:55 am
Posts: 383
Location: Cobble Hill, B.C.
Lihtan wrote:
Personally I like working on my Swift because it gives me an opportunity to apply my own vision of automotive engineering.


Yes!!! Exactly!

_________________
1991 Swift GT 140K, 780kg
2000 Esteem 1.8 GL wagon 140K


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:17 pm
Posts: 117
Location: Bradenton
I love the fact that you can tell someone that they just got beat by a 3 banger and watch there jaws drop.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 3:35 pm
Posts: 103
Location: Southern Michigan
I agree with all when you "I built this"! I'm a noob, and the metro is about as basic as you can get. So im learning, a lot! Everyone pokes fun, "why do you have such a strange obsession with junk". Maybe because im poor, maybe because i like the underdogs, and maybe i like custom modifications and having something noone else has. For whatever reasons they are my own, and I cherish every second i have with my metro.

To you Teamswift...the best damn car forum out there!

_________________
I can go 80 going down hill when the wind blows just right...

G-G-G-Geo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:29 am
Posts: 89
Location: The Matrix
There's nothing more satisfying than seeing a suzuki swift take a Mitubishi Spider from 0-60. After that he started going way over the speed limit and I slowed down. I know he would have beat me once we both got to top speed, but I smoked him in acceleration! :lol: :D :D :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:00 am
Posts: 89
yer, i copped heaps of shit, like i said i was gonna do the barina up, all my mates are like, nah its a heap of shit, its a little tin can, get a commdore or a torana or sumthing (a torana is a classic holden from the 70's that could be had with a 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engine, well certain models could have all 3, some the first 2, and some only the 4 cylinder.

plus they were all like, its a barina ben, it aint gonna fetch much resale no matter what u do to it.

meh, i would love a torana, but i think i will work with what i have, plus its so economical, and goes hard for a 8 valve 1.3 litre 4 banger, even harder when u take the air filter cover off ;), so light and easy to park.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:34 pm
Posts: 319
Location: orlando, fl
Here is what really separates the swift/geo from pretty much everything else out there.

WEIGHT

I'm trying to remember, as my memory is pretty bad...but I think it was Colin Chapman?...or was it Bruce Mclaren?...I dont remember...
Anyways, he was the designer of the Lotus...way back in the day. He got it. He understood that "LIGHT IS RIGHT"!!!!!!!!!

The less weight to accelerate, brake and corner...

These cars are way lighter then just about anything else out there. This, combined with pretty peppy motors, great brakes...and decent looks, make this a great car!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:17 pm
Posts: 3566
Location: Georgetown, Guyana
Colin Chapman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:23 am
Posts: 1625
Location: Washington, DC
And what Chapman said was "To increase performance, add lightness".

_________________
Red '98 Metro 5sp 16v SOHC
Silver '06 Aerio SX 5sp 16v DOHC

Who is John Galt ?

Atlas Shrugged


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:34 pm
Posts: 319
Location: orlando, fl
I love that quote!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:30 am 
Offline
You thought Jomo was bad
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:17 pm
Posts: 295
Location: kennewick,wa
Everybody and their grandma drives a civic, why not be a little different and get yourself a 3 banger!

_________________
Car show that everyone should go to!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=30466

"FOREVER N/A 3cyl"


Limited Edition 3cyl. Batmobile(1993 g10 Metro)
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.7L Stroker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:55 pm
Posts: 49
Location: flint michigan
Kento87 wrote:
RotaryGreg wrote:
I like the idea of pouring my heart and soul into my little shitbox to make it go. Buying a fast car and racing it is fun, but it's not an accomplishment. But making a little 3 cyl fast, or at least not slow, now thats something. Besides, i like that my car will be one of a kind. I mean, If i do any mods, i can't normaly go and buy them off the shelf. I pretty much have to do it all custom, which is alot better than all these honda civic racers that all have identical cars, with all the same parts. its so monotinous. My buddy has a GMC Senoma with a 4cyl. I love his truck, for the same reason. All the work he has done, except for the lowering kit, has all been custom. Cars like this are great because they promote creativity, in the tunning aspect at least.


Try doing Custom work on a Fiero! I walk around parking lots with a tape measure to see if this or that will fit. I have parts from 7 diffferent cars on mine atm and I will end up with most likely 5 or 6 more when all is said and done. There is very little aftermarket for the Fiero and if you do get it, chances are very high at least 3 other people will show up at the event with the same mod. One off stuff is tough and hard to do. Although not a lot of custom work but a lot of thinking went into the Fiero V8. I have parts from below. Now When I go to shows, I am PROUD to say : I BUILT THIS!

Pontiac Fiero
Dodge Shadow Rear Wing
Headlights from a Geo Storm
Motor from a Caddy Eldo
Coil overs from a Honda (yeah they can be made to fit)
Chevelle Wagon Tranny Mounts
Camero Tensioner
Astro Van Idler Pully
Olds 88 Distributor
SBC Plug Wires
Bonneville Rear Sway Bar
Grand Am Disc Brakes
Blazer Brake Master Cyl
Cavalier Z24 Flywheel

Gotta love GM one size fits all principal :twisted:

Now I do not mind people buying their hot rod, just when they do and say they Built or workedon it, well it pisses me off. :evil:


:thumbsup: :yeahyeah: fieros rock im currently working on a northstar swap in my 86 se and driving a 95 metro untill its done lol


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 1722
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Datsun 210 or 510 with SR20 swap- hell of a good combination.
Toyota AE86 Tureno(Corolla) with 20v Formula Altantic motor- super quick and super good for drifting.

_________________
Love the way the West coast feels.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:47 am
Posts: 124
once my camaro is done, i have complete intentions of finding a wrecked sti/wrx/evo and relieving it of its drivetrain and forcing some poor unsuspecting metro to swallow it whole :twisted:

imagine the ridiculous power to weight ratio. They all weigh around 3k lbs. Well the wrx is 3k+a cheerleader, the other two are 3k+4 cheerleaders... or I guess just one cheerleader depending on your own personal standards... but i digress

imagine the owners of every corvette/mustang/honda/evo/JUST ABOUT ANYTHING crapping themselves as the realize they didnt just get their A$$ handed to them by an F'ing geo metro... they're not even positive it was a metro. it could have been some yuppie rocket ship from cali or something. at least thats what they will be telling their buddies at the next local meet.

can you say SUPER SLEEPER?

kinda like that guy I saw in hot rod running a 78 ford pinto with the inline 4banger pushin like 18lbs of boost with spray and just owning it at the strip. Fast crappy car = surprised fellow motorists



my secret is out... one of you guys in going to beat me to it i'm sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 1722
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Yeah, but probably not.

_________________
Love the way the West coast feels.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:17 pm
Posts: 3566
Location: Georgetown, Guyana
newby wrote:
once my camaro is done, i have complete intentions of finding a wrecked sti/wrx/evo and relieving it of its drivetrain and forcing some poor unsuspecting metro to swallow it whole :twisted:


If you want to build a "super sleeper" - at least try to get something with dimensions similar to that of your donor car.

Just as an example - I don't think too many people recognize that an Evolution Lancer is several inches wider that the equivalent Lancer of the same year - it's not just flared wheel arches, the entire body shell is different - you can't drop an Evolution drive train in a Lancer shell without some significant cutting and welding.

I'm not going to tell you that you can't drop an Evolution drive train into a Geo, but I will tell you that when you're done, it won't take more than a glance for anyone to recognize that it's no longer a Geo - in short - a sleeper is what it will NOT be.

_________________
'93 1.3 Swift GLX
'98 2.0 Grand Vitara


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 1722
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Probably will need some real wide fender flares for a geo like that.

_________________
Love the way the West coast feels.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group