TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:15 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:03 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

it's been a while, so i thought i'd post <a href="http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?p=21567&highlight=shitladder#21567">this link</a> to our other admins shit-ladder theory. it's good that we have a community that doesn't take ourselves too seriously, our swifts are not $180000 exotic sports cars, they're swifts. quick, nimble, fun to drive, fun to work on, fun to turbo, etc....
cheers :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:43 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

I suppose one way of looking at is that the very fact that someone buys parts to mod a "shitbox" implies some level of dissatisfaction for stock performance or a desire for more performance. Personally I like working on my Swift because it gives me an oppurtunity to apply my own vision of automotive engineering. When you buy an exotic you are buying a cookie-cutter car. Very very few people ever mod exotics. When you buy a cookie-cutter exotic you are identifing with the fundamentals and ideals of the company that built it. For example Porsche builds fabulous performance vehicles, but I question the reasons for vehicles like the Cayenne or why their current 911 Turbo weighs 3500 lbs even if it has 415 hp. I identify more with companies like Lotus and their Esprit products; a lightweight car powered by a turbocharged 4 cylinder engine. Now if they could only figure out their styling, pop up lights and old school styling on their Esprits, and their new Elise is butt-ugly. But my point is that there are more unique shitboxes than unique exotics.

( miracle pour hole)
maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:10 pm 

This is where a friend and myself differ. We both love the work people have done on their cars to mod them up. However he knows that he does not have the time or the skill to do that quality of work. Thus he prefers the exotics and pre-build sports cars. It's not that he doesn't appreciate modded vehicles, far from it. He just prefers something already done.

As for the Elise, I disagree with you about it's attractiveness. That is a sweet little car. :)

Post subject: turbo'd 4 banger
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:44 pm 
Teamswift Racer

SRT - 4
nuf said

Post subject: Re: turbo'd 4 banger
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:15 am 

MURR wrote:
SRT - 4
nuf said

now those are uggmmooooo

-90 GT in a million pieces.....
-CBR600F2 frankenbike
-70 MBenz 280s pimpstress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:05 pm 

I like the idea of pouring my heart and soul into my little shitbox to make it go. Buying a fast car and racing it is fun, but it's not an accomplishment. But making a little 3 cyl fast, or at least not slow, now thats something. Besides, i like that my car will be one of a kind. I mean, If i do any mods, i can't normaly go and buy them off the shelf. I pretty much have to do it all custom, which is alot better than all these honda civic racers that all have identical cars, with all the same parts. its so monotinous. My buddy has a GMC Senoma with a 4cyl. I love his truck, for the same reason. All the work he has done, except for the lowering kit, has all been custom. Cars like this are great because they promote creativity, in the tunning aspect at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:03 pm 

:goodpost:

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...

Post subject: Re: turbo'd 4 banger
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:30 pm 
The Smuggler

g13b_destroyer wrote:
MURR wrote:
SRT - 4
nuf said

now those are uggmmooooo

Ditto on the Uggmmooooo :wink:

Keep your eye on the boost guage!
And I love this one!
"Dale Jarrett's crew chief" "Drive it like ya STOLE IT!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:57 am 
Sparky

RotaryGreg wrote:
I like the idea of pouring my heart and soul into my little shitbox to make it go. Buying a fast car and racing it is fun, but it's not an accomplishment. But making a little 3 cyl fast, or at least not slow, now thats something. Besides, i like that my car will be one of a kind. I mean, If i do any mods, i can't normaly go and buy them off the shelf. I pretty much have to do it all custom, which is alot better than all these honda civic racers that all have identical cars, with all the same parts. its so monotinous. My buddy has a GMC Senoma with a 4cyl. I love his truck, for the same reason. All the work he has done, except for the lowering kit, has all been custom. Cars like this are great because they promote creativity, in the tunning aspect at least.

Try doing Custom work on a Fiero! I walk around parking lots with a tape measure to see if this or that will fit. I have parts from 7 diffferent cars on mine atm and I will end up with most likely 5 or 6 more when all is said and done. There is very little aftermarket for the Fiero and if you do get it, chances are very high at least 3 other people will show up at the event with the same mod. One off stuff is tough and hard to do. Although not a lot of custom work but a lot of thinking went into the Fiero V8. I have parts from below. Now When I go to shows, I am PROUD to say : I BUILT THIS!

Pontiac Fiero
Dodge Shadow Rear Wing
Headlights from a Geo Storm
Motor from a Caddy Eldo
Coil overs from a Honda (yeah they can be made to fit)
Chevelle Wagon Tranny Mounts
Camero Tensioner
Astro Van Idler Pully
Olds 88 Distributor
SBC Plug Wires
Bonneville Rear Sway Bar
Grand Am Disc Brakes
Blazer Brake Master Cyl
Cavalier Z24 Flywheel

Gotta love GM one size fits all principal :twisted:

Now I do not mind people buying their hot rod, just when they do and say they Built or workedon it, well it pisses me off. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:27 am 

Lihtan wrote:
Personally I like working on my Swift because it gives me an opportunity to apply my own vision of automotive engineering.

Yes!!! Exactly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:48 pm 

I love the fact that you can tell someone that they just got beat by a 3 banger and watch there jaws drop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:21 pm 

I agree with all when you "I built this"! I'm a noob, and the metro is about as basic as you can get. So im learning, a lot! Everyone pokes fun, "why do you have such a strange obsession with junk". Maybe because im poor, maybe because i like the underdogs, and maybe i like custom modifications and having something noone else has. For whatever reasons they are my own, and I cherish every second i have with my metro.

To you Teamswift...the best damn car forum out there!

G-G-G-Geo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:46 pm 

There's nothing more satisfying than seeing a suzuki swift take a Mitubishi Spider from 0-60. After that he started going way over the speed limit and I slowed down. I know he would have beat me once we both got to top speed, but I smoked him in acceleration! :lol: :D :D :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:48 am 

yer, i copped heaps of shit, like i said i was gonna do the barina up, all my mates are like, nah its a heap of shit, its a little tin can, get a commdore or a torana or sumthing (a torana is a classic holden from the 70's that could be had with a 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engine, well certain models could have all 3, some the first 2, and some only the 4 cylinder.

plus they were all like, its a barina ben, it aint gonna fetch much resale no matter what u do to it.

meh, i would love a torana, but i think i will work with what i have, plus its so economical, and goes hard for a 8 valve 1.3 litre 4 banger, even harder when u take the air filter cover off ;), so light and easy to park.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:57 pm 

Here is what really separates the swift/geo from pretty much everything else out there.

WEIGHT

I'm trying to remember, as my memory is pretty bad...but I think it was Colin Chapman?...or was it Bruce Mclaren?...I dont remember...
Anyways, he was the designer of the Lotus...way back in the day. He got it. He understood that "LIGHT IS RIGHT"!!!!!!!!!

The less weight to accelerate, brake and corner...

These cars are way lighter then just about anything else out there. This, combined with pretty peppy motors, great brakes...and decent looks, make this a great car!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:16 pm 

Colin Chapman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:56 am 

And what Chapman said was "To increase performance, add lightness".

Who is John Galt ?

Atlas Shrugged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:38 pm 

I love that quote!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:30 am 
You thought Jomo was bad

Everybody and their grandma drives a civic, why not be a little different and get yourself a 3 banger!

"FOREVER N/A 3cyl"

Limited Edition 3cyl. Batmobile(1993 g10 Metro)
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.7L Stroker

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:47 am 

Kento87 wrote:
RotaryGreg wrote:

Try doing Custom work on a Fiero! I walk around parking lots with a tape measure to see if this or that will fit. I have parts from 7 diffferent cars on mine atm and I will end up with most likely 5 or 6 more when all is said and done. There is very little aftermarket for the Fiero and if you do get it, chances are very high at least 3 other people will show up at the event with the same mod. One off stuff is tough and hard to do. Although not a lot of custom work but a lot of thinking went into the Fiero V8. I have parts from below. Now When I go to shows, I am PROUD to say : I BUILT THIS!

Pontiac Fiero
Dodge Shadow Rear Wing
Headlights from a Geo Storm
Motor from a Caddy Eldo
Coil overs from a Honda (yeah they can be made to fit)
Chevelle Wagon Tranny Mounts
Camero Tensioner
Astro Van Idler Pully
Olds 88 Distributor
SBC Plug Wires
Bonneville Rear Sway Bar
Grand Am Disc Brakes
Blazer Brake Master Cyl
Cavalier Z24 Flywheel

Gotta love GM one size fits all principal :twisted:

Now I do not mind people buying their hot rod, just when they do and say they Built or workedon it, well it pisses me off. :evil:

:thumbsup: :yeahyeah: fieros rock im currently working on a northstar swap in my 86 se and driving a 95 metro untill its done lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:49 am 

Datsun 210 or 510 with SR20 swap- hell of a good combination.
Toyota AE86 Tureno(Corolla) with 20v Formula Altantic motor- super quick and super good for drifting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:09 pm 

once my camaro is done, i have complete intentions of finding a wrecked sti/wrx/evo and relieving it of its drivetrain and forcing some poor unsuspecting metro to swallow it whole :twisted:

imagine the ridiculous power to weight ratio. They all weigh around 3k lbs. Well the wrx is 3k+a cheerleader, the other two are 3k+4 cheerleaders... or I guess just one cheerleader depending on your own personal standards... but i digress

imagine the owners of every corvette/mustang/honda/evo/JUST ABOUT ANYTHING crapping themselves as the realize they didnt just get their A$$ handed to them by an F'ing geo metro... they're not even positive it was a metro. it could have been some yuppie rocket ship from cali or something. at least thats what they will be telling their buddies at the next local meet.

can you say SUPER SLEEPER?

kinda like that guy I saw in hot rod running a 78 ford pinto with the inline 4banger pushin like 18lbs of boost with spray and just owning it at the strip. Fast crappy car = surprised fellow motorists

my secret is out... one of you guys in going to beat me to it i'm sure.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:01 am 

Yeah, but probably not.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:42 am 

newby wrote:
once my camaro is done, i have complete intentions of finding a wrecked sti/wrx/evo and relieving it of its drivetrain and forcing some poor unsuspecting metro to swallow it whole :twisted:

If you want to build a "super sleeper" - at least try to get something with dimensions similar to that of your donor car.

Just as an example - I don't think too many people recognize that an Evolution Lancer is several inches wider that the equivalent Lancer of the same year - it's not just flared wheel arches, the entire body shell is different - you can't drop an Evolution drive train in a Lancer shell without some significant cutting and welding.

I'm not going to tell you that you can't drop an Evolution drive train into a Geo, but I will tell you that when you're done, it won't take more than a glance for anyone to recognize that it's no longer a Geo - in short - a sleeper is what it will NOT be.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:49 pm 

Probably will need some real wide fender flares for a geo like that.