TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:32 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:00 pm 

What would be the best way to disable the automatic door locking feature and also not have the light come on in the dash? I have a 93 and the left side does not automatically lock at 8 mph, but the right side does. I am thinking that the left side actuator is not working. All the wiring inside the door is looks ok, nothing disconnected. There isn't any noise coming from the actuator at 8MPH.

On all me new cars, there is a procedure to disable the automatic door locking feature. How can I do this and not have the light still come on the dash. Disconnect the control module under the dash and pull the light bulp behind the dash cluster?? I have the door panels off, any ideas?

Thanks.

Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:47 pm 

I would also like to know this also... as my drivers instde door handle is broken off and i have to stick my finger in the pannel and fish around for the door lock to unlock the door....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:09 am 

I have the 93 service manual so I spent some time this weekend and figured it out. After several hours of checking wireing, and following a flow chart in the service manual, I concluded that me RH actuator was not working. This would cause the "lock door" light to stay on all the time unless I manual locked the door. As long as the door was unlocked, the car would try and lock both doors everytime I accererated from a stop to 8mph.

So, I checked the wiring diagram in the service manual, and concluded that if I pulled the "door lock signal wire" that goes to the automatic door lock module, the car would think that the doors are always locked and not send the signal to lock the doors.

To get to the automatic door lock module, remove the glovebox. It's up and to the left a little. It's is a box about 1.5 inches by about 2.5 inches, black with a white connector with 7 wires going into it. PULL THE GREEN/BLACK WIRE ONLY.

Now the light stay off in the dash and the car doesn't try to lock the dang doors automatically.

I rather like it this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:13 am 

RossT wrote:
I have the 93 service manual so I spent some time this weekend and figured it out. After several hours of checking wireing, and following a flow chart in the service manual, I concluded that me RH actuator was not working. This would cause the "lock door" light to stay on all the time unless I manual locked the door. As long as the door was unlocked, the car would try and lock both doors everytime I accererated from a stop to 8mph.

So, I checked the wiring diagram in the service manual, and concluded that if I pulled the "door lock signal wire" that goes to the automatic door lock module, the car would think that the doors are always locked and not send the signal to lock the doors.

To get to the automatic door lock module, remove the glovebox. It's up and to the left a little. It's is a box about 1.5 inches by about 2.5 inches, black with a white connector with 7 wires going into it. PULL THE GREEN/BLACK WIRE ONLY.

Now the light stay off in the dash and the car doesn't try to lock the dang doors automatically.

I rather like it this way.

That's interesting - I have a '93 5 dr, and the lock module is behind the rear panelling in the hatch area - I don't remember which side though.

I had removed the panelling to run the wires to a hatch release solenoid, and I found this black box, so I started tracing wires and turned out to be the lock control module.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:44 pm 

Hey RossT, could you do me a favor and look up in your manual what wire I need to cut to get the seat belts lights to go off? I have switched my doors 92 doors on a 93 and the harness plugs are both female... well my lock doors light does not come on but my seat belt light stay on all the time even if i have my belt buckled...

Thanks.
Jim
Lupton, Michigan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:00 pm 

Seat Belt lights can be disabled by un-plugging the connector under the
seat...Did that last week to a 94 and worked great!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:17 am 

I did that already.... they stayed on. I think its because my doors are unplugged. And there unplugged because there from a 92 XFi and mine is a 93 Base. both connector are female. But I don't want the doors hocked up, just the seat belts lights off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:06 pm 

I've got the manual out. According to the manual, the LH side seat belt switch is closed with seat belt unlocked (not buckled). When you buckle the switch opens and no current passes. When the switch is closed, it allows current to pass to the seatbelt controller module, the module then sends current/signal to dash light to go on. PROVIDING YOUR MODULE IS GOOD, you will want to pull the gray/red wire going into the module. That wire should be gay with red stripe. Don't cut the wire. unlplug the module and you will see 20 wires. Take a small screwdriver to the inside of the connector to realease the gray/red wire. Pull that wire out, and tape the end off and re-connect the the other 19 wires in the plug to the module. The module will no longer get a seat belt unlock signal from the LH side seatbelt switch , thus it won't send a signal to the dash light.

If this doesn't work, then your seat belt module is bad and you can get one from a junk yard.

Before you do anything, check to make sure that your door latch switches work. Read the FAQ, there is an excellent write up about them. I take the switch out of each door and sand around the round opening, this help the switch obtain a ground.

If pulling the wire doesn't work, and changing the module doesn't work, and cleaning the door switch gound doesn't work, then you must have a short somewhere between the module and dash light.

Seat belt controller is located below i/p left of steering column

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:58 am 

Or take the bulbs out of the cluster. As long as you're there, take out the upshift and DRL bulbs too.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:21 pm 

I was also thinking that you could take the wire coming out of the module to the light. I can look up what that color wire is if you want. I would do this if your module is bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:56 pm 

yea... pulling the bulbs would work... looks like just 4 screews to pull the cluster out of the dash, right?

thanks for your help RossT and woodie....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:01 am 

Anyone know if the the way RossT unhooked his locks on his 1993 will also be the same on a 1994? I'm surprised I dont see more threads on this subject. Did they not have the auto locks on many years, or do they just not bug people ( like they do me)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:07 am 

I think '93 was the first year for the auto locks. I took out the controller, that disables them pretty well. :)

I also discovered that the lock actuator is a motor. Reverse the polarity and the door unlocks. Real power door locks are just a switch away. 8)

1991 Swift - Parts car (gone)
1990 Swift - Parts car
1997 Metro - Parts car (gone)
1993 Metro - Parts car
1989 Swift GTi - Parts car
1998 Metro - Parts car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:01 pm 

Thanks for the good tip guys. I pulled the plug on the door lock controller and it works great! I hated that automatic door lock idea.

Also unplugged the wires under the seat to disable the seat belt warning.

Q

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:32 pm 

The easiest way to do this is to unplug the switch at the door. You don't want to pull fuses because it will cause other things on the same circuit to stop working as well.

in fuse box 2or3 are att.together..may b w/ dome light ,cir lighter,seat belt buzzer,radio,door light,theres many opions,if all doors are unlocking at same time,there is a main switch,if you can look and find it just pull one wire..

http://avidlocksmith.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:24 pm 

RossT has it right. Cut the green/black wire and lights stay off and doors don't try to lock. Registered on this site just to say thank you