TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:24 pm 

Greetings from a Newb!

I recently ordered replacement Beck Arnley coils and Federated wires, for my 1998 Swift, from Rock Auto. After installation of these parts and new plugs, the car would not start. Upon closer inspection I realized that one of the new wires was damaged, so I replace the old wires - still no joy. I replaced the old coils and the car started. I reinstalled the new coils, being careful to insure that all connectors went together properly - once again, no joy.

What prompted this tune up was an engine code for misfire in the Number 3 Cylinder. The same code has been thrown again since reinstalling the old wires and coils.

Has anybody seen a problem like this before? How would I check the operation of the new coils with a meter? Is it possible that other sensors are "rejecting" the new coils?

I appreciate all of your input and advice!

Thanks!,
-Dan

Incidentally, I gapped the new spark plugs at 0.39 (per the Emissions Label on my car.) The plug manufacturer suggested 0.44. For what it's worth.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:56 pm 
Make love, not moderators

WHy even bother? If the parts are faulty I wouldn't mess with them. You should contact the supplier and let them know of a warrenty issue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:17 pm 

I was actually just getting to that stage, mentally. I figured out how to test the coils with my multi-meter, and found one of them to be defective (no continuity in one of the windings.)

Thanks for the help, and I apologize for the hasty call for help.