TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:32 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:38 pm 

Or rather, for those of you with experience, can you use a tap and die to fix the threading?I was an idiot and used the oil filter wrench to put my oil filter on. So now, I can't put another oil filter on it and it will leak. :oops:

Background: 1986 MK1 Sprint driver. Owner for one year. I'm borrowing it and fixing it for a friend. Goal is to restore it. It's an awesome little car. I regularly drive it 5 hours straight and it's been across the country multiple times. I've been a longtime lurker, first-time poster. We have had various things go wrong with this vehicle that we have fixed by looking at this site.

I have learned a lot about cars by fixing this one. Its G10 engine is so cool and everything is fairly simple in comparison. THAT SAID. I made a stupid mistake while changing the oil. I only have ever taken a car to get an oil change and I had no idea that they overtighten the drain plug and oil filter so I thought that you're supposed to really, really tighten the oil filter. Boy, was I wrong!

So.... relocation kit? Or die? Any links? I have no idea where to start.

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:28 pm 

If I get what your saying you messed up the threads on the oil filter all thread fitting. No need for oil filter relocation. That would not really solve your problem. You will need to find two large nuts to thread onto the oil filter all thread fitting. Lock them together and then unscrew the entire oil filter all thread fitting. You will need to find a replacement one off another g10 engine. I suppose you could also find the right die off ebay and die the threads if they are savable. I can't remember for the life of me where I came up with the right sized nuts to fit last time I switched one of those around.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:52 am 

Thread size is 3/4-16

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:32 pm 

Solerpower wrote:
If I get what your saying you messed up the threads on the oil filter all thread fitting. No need for oil filter relocation. That would not really solve your problem. You will need to find two large nuts to thread onto the oil filter all thread fitting. Lock them together and then unscrew the entire oil filter all thread fitting. You will need to find a replacement one off another g10 engine. I suppose you could also find the right die off ebay and die the threads if they are savable. I can't remember for the life of me where I came up with the right sized nuts to fit last time I switched one of those around.

Not the first liter, the bolt it mounts onto. Is it all one long bolt?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:41 pm 

It should be one long piece of all thread, not a bolt (it is hollow in the middle).