TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 2:28 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:09 am 

I just finished installing a new Exedy Pro-Kit clutch set and Sachs flywheel on my 86 Sprint Plus but when I push the pedal the clutch won't disengage. I tried every adjustment but it seems that there's not enough travel left on the pressure plate when the release bearing engages it. While assembling the clutch disc and pressure plate to the flywheel I noticed the pressure plate fingers appeared concave instead of slightly convex. I disassembled it and examined it to see if there was any noticeable flaws or mistakes I may have made during assembly but it seemed like everything was fine so I proceeded with reassembly hoping that it didn't require much travel of the pressure plate to disengage the disc. Well no dice. Even fully adjusted and re-clocking the lever didn't help. I will be disassembling it in the morning to figure out what the problem is but if anyone has experienced the same sort of problem I would appreciate your input. The only conclusion I've come to is that the flywheel isn't fully machined and the inset of the friction area needs to be deeper. Flywheel is Sachs NFW-3302
Clutch kit is Exedy Pro-Kit 04076 OE Clutch Kit
Both of which report they are compatible with my 86 Sprint Plus NA. Any help, suggestions or specifics will be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:02 am 

Have you ruled out a stretched or sticking clutch cable?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:03 am 

I just finished checking the cable this morning. I completely removed it from the vehicle to examine it closely but it looked like it was in really good shape so I lubricated it and reinstalled it but still no change. I saw in another thread someone mentioned that the pilot bearing could be off and even though the clutch disengages the pilot bearing keeps the transmission shaft spinning. I really don't want to disassemble the vehicle again but it looks as though I have no other choice. Please let me know if you know anything that pertains to this clutch problem. The things that caught my eye while installing it were, the flywheel had a raised lip around the outer perimeter that the old flywheel didn't have. The pressure plate fingers on the new part were fewer and larger than the one that came off and after I torqued the pressure plate to spec in a star pattern evenly tightening each bolt, the fingers didn't look as though there was much room for any more travel to release the disc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:36 pm 
Island Inbreeder

Your disc is in backwards

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:11 pm 

JVS :thumbsup:

Also for further reading.. Reviving an old thread ..

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:02 pm 

It's impossible to install the disc backwards. The splined center of the disc is raised on one side and would hit the flywheel before the disc friction surface could seat on the flywheel. When I disassembled it today I found the flywheel to be either defective or machined wrong. Either the surface where the disc sets isn't machined deep enough or the mounting surface where the pressure plate bolts to had been machined too much. I got the flywheel on Amazon for $20.00 but the ad said that it was a used part. When it arrived I examined it to see if it needed to go to the machine shop but it was a new part it hadn't ever been installed before I got it. I am going to the machine shop after the first cause the staff wont be in till then. I will probably get the answers to my questions then.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:21 am 

What is the diameter of the clutch disc?

Post pictures of the new and used parts side by side before you go to any machine shop.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:16 am 

http://email.photobucket.com/wf/click?u ... 2Bqw-3D-3D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:19 am 

There is the link to the pictures requested. The flywheel wasn't machined to spec and needed to be cut down some on the friction area. Now I know why the price was so low.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:26 pm 

OK so update:

Restomod resurfaced the old flywheel because the new flywheel was not machined to spec. It was shifting fine for a few days, then while I was driving it the other day, I pull into the work parking lot and felt the clutch pedal snap kinda like a guitar string. it goes up and down but there is no pressure.

We attempted to tighten the cable but it would not engage the clutch.

Restomod believes it may be a broken clutch fork. Some research produces the part number 2326083e00 but that is for an 89-01 Swift. Does anybody know whether this is correct or where to locate this part if indeed this is what we need?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:55 am 

Experience has taught me that the last thing I did to my car is probably the thing that screwed it up.
If you've gone into the bell housing and changed a few pieces, and things start to break, either your repair isn't up to snuff, your parts aren't up to snuff, or possibly a combination of the two.
Prior to loss of the clutch, did you have any warning?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:20 am 

OK the car is still out of commission and I am about to tow it to the scrap yard and watch it be shredded. Every parts site or store has different application information about the clutch parts.
One says yes that flywheel will work with that clutch kit. Another says no that flywheel is wrong and it won't work with the clutch kit you have. Same part number. These are supposed to be all the same flywheel
AMS 167207
ACDelco 388098
Valeo V2032S
Sachs NFW3302
ARI 48-5010
Napa 88197
Luk LFW197
Fenco FW91207
I have the Exedy 04076 clutch kit.
On the Exedy USA site it specifies
85-88 Chevy Sprint 1.0 NA are the only vehicles 04076 matches OE.
I have ordered flywheel after flywheel only to get the same crap. I have confirmed that the Exedy kit I have is exactly what Exedy sends when ordering the 04076
I've ruined two pressure plates thinking maybe they were defective. The original flywheel is beyond the limits of machining and can't be used. I have not found a flywheel that goes with my kit or a kit to go with the flywheel that I can't return and can't seem to find anything about it.
Numbers stamped on it are
0018 295 14118 Made in China
Nothing else is on it anywhere.
Please help me with this cause it's almost in the scrap yard and I would rather be driving it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:54 pm 

Restomod wrote:
Please help me with this cause it's almost in the scrap yard and I would rather be driving it.

This is a great opportunity for a little MK1 humor.
As they say, "It's cheaper to keep 'er."
ER or Plus?
Ha!

What did the people at the machine shop do that you had to buy a new one?

Machine shops generally don't screw you up.
There are many steps where an inexperienced person can mess up on reassembly.
Getting the forks right on the pressure plate can be a chore on an MK1 for someone new to them.

The flywheel that you purchased doesn't look like an original part.
An original flywheel is basically flat like the one on the left in the picture above.

Here's a link to a page which was posted by Teamswift member deebee (the bionic man):
https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya- ... ft-3805115
You will not see the clutch side of the flywheel in the drawing, so you'll have to take my word for it - that flywheel on the left above looks like the right one.
See if you can find that Suzuki part number; it is a great place to start.
What's an SA 310?

Even though they seem heavy, still they get pretty decent mileage, so I wouldn't try and reinvent the wheel...flywheel that is.

Think of a fair price to pay someone to disassemble a junkyard engine/transaxle (alone) and get a 32 year old original flywheel for you.

Very few threads with flywheel problems, so consider your situation 'special', and enjoy the ride.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:34 pm 

Is there any chance we are confusing the CANADIAN Chevrolet Sprint with the '85-'88 MK1 model sold in the lower 48 States?