TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:49 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Won't start sometimes?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:56 am 

Hey everyone! Just curious to see if anyone had this problem. I gave a 1989 GTI swift. Every once I in a while the car won't start. I have to deep turning the key 4 or 5 times then it cranks over to start! What could it be?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:08 am 

Not enough info for a definitive answer but here's some ideas. When you say won't start do you hear a clicking noise when you turn the key?(starter solenoid maybe old relay) do you have power? I.e. Does the radio turn on when the key is on the on position when it's not starting? (If no perhaps Ignition switch) when it does crank does it crank slower or faster than usual?(starter going out) what is the condition of your battery?(9/10 a failing battery will toast your starter if not corrected in time) By chance had a previous owner decided they knew how to do wiring and created a butchered mess in and around your steering column(bad connection somewhere). Or in my case which is on a mk1 has the power wires leaving the battery terminal(not the main cable) been cut and crimped? Just some preliminary checks. Hope this gives you a starting point and general direction.

1978 Chevy monza 2+2, 74 step side Chevy, firebird,firebird,fake 91 firehawk in the making,trans am(dd),other trans am, n/a mk1 sprint, and my baby 1987 Chevy sprint turbo in red. How many run right now? Just the n/a sprint. It's not a collection it's my retirement plan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:59 am 

If it just gives you one loud click when you turn the key, but works perfectly after five or so attempts, then it's either a bad solenoid or bad brushes inside the starter motor. A new starter would fix either one.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:51 pm 

I turn key and nothing! No clicking no nothing! But as I turn key back and forth 4 or 5 times then it turns over and starts! Only sometimes it does this!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:50 am 

You'll have to do a process of elimination. Test your key switch, test your clutch safety switch and so on. I'd start at your clutch switch at the pedal. Use a multimeter to check for continuity when you depress the pedal and/or turn the key. I won't delve deeper because at 1am, I've had a few more beers than I should to give more advise.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:47 am 

You did fine topdown@40. If you get no click, intermittantly, then it's most likely the ignition switch or the clutch safety switch. Hold the ignition key in the start position and repeatedly press and release the clutch. If it eventually starts, then the clutch switch is bad.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency