TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:35 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:22 am 

YOU'RE INVITED!

On Saturday July 12th I am hosting Westiva 2014 which is primarily a meet and greet for Festiva and Aspire fans and owners. This is the sixth annual edition of the meet and we have decided to send an invite out to fans and owners of other econoboxes from the same era.

So consider yourself invited!

Here are a few details...

When: Saturday July 12th, 2014
Where: Wedge Pond Day Use Area, Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada (about a one hour drive from Calgary's western city limits).
What: Meet and greet at the pond in the morning. After a picnic lunch we'll take an afternoon 30km cruise to grab an ice cream cone at Boulton Creek Trading Post (yes it's worth the drive :D) and then on to the Upper Kananaskis Lake.
Why: why not?

Here's a video one of our members took a couple of years ago. http://youtu.be/OohTKJBnwyE

Westiva 2010 attendees...

This photo was taken by my oldest son on his way up "the Wedge", the peak for which the Wedge Pond is named. If you look close you can see the Festivas that made it out for Westiva 2011!

..and a short write up on 2012's event http://www.econoboxcafe.com/2012/08/westiva-2012.html

So please come and join us if you can! Oh... and check out my blog too... http://www.econoboxcafe.com

http://www.econoboxcafe.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:32 pm 

fastivaca wrote:
YOU'RE INVITED!

On Saturday July 12th I am hosting Westiva 2014 which is primarily a meet and greet for Festiva and Aspire fans and owners. This is the sixth annual edition of the meet and we have decided to send an invite out to fans and owners of other econoboxes from the same era.

So consider yourself invited!

Here are a few details...

When: Saturday July 12th, 2014
Where: Wedge Pond Day Use Area, Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada (about a one hour drive from Calgary's western city limits).
What: Meet and greet at the pond in the morning. After a picnic lunch we'll take an afternoon 30km cruise to grab an ice cream cone at Boulton Creek Trading Post (yes it's worth the drive :D) and then on to the Upper Kananaskis Lake.
Why: why not?

So please come and join us if you can! Oh... and check out my blog too... http://www.econoboxcafe.com

Thanks - if no one else is interested - It may the best option this year - have any TeamSwift people come out before?

2010 Equator White
2000 Solara convert

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:08 am 

Hmmmm? A non long weekend trip.

Leave Friday after work, arrive in Calgary after midnight, spend the Saturday there and drive back Sunday. Maybe. It's a bit of a long haul for me on a regular weekend.

Any other swifters in?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:57 am 

wgotzman wrote:

Thanks - if no one else is interested - It may the best option this year - have any TeamSwift people come out before?

No TeamSwift members yet. Did have a Subaru Vivio join us in 2012. Didn't have a meet last year due to the flooding.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:51 pm 

41 days until Westiva 2014... man do I have a lot to get done!

Long range weather forecast looks very promising!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:58 pm 

Well, there's now only 26 days to go :shock: !!!

Who's going to have the first Swift at Westiva :?:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:34 pm 

Hoping for some long distance attendees this year!

Speaking of distances... if you're thinking of coming here are some approximate one way travel distances:

Great Falls MT: 400 miles
Spokane WA: 425 miles
Portland OR: 775 miles
San Sioux Falls SD: 1250 miles
Denver CO: 1175 miles
Fransisco CA: 1300 miles
Los Angeles CA: 1600 miles
Kansas City MO: 1600 miles
Phoenix AZ: 1625 miles
Knoxville TN: 2200 miles
Raleigh NC: 2475 miles
Miami FL: 3025 miles

Edmonton AB: 400 km
Vancouver BC: 950 km
Saskatoon SK: 725 km
Regina SK: 875 km
Winnipeg MB: 1425 km
Toronto ON: 3500 km
Montreal QC: 3625 km

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:39 pm 

8 days to go. My oh my, where does the time go?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:04 pm 

I'm seriously thinking about bringing the Swift out. I was really hoping I could entice a couple more swift guys out. I know there's a couple really nice ones cruising around Calgary and I'd love to have a closer look! I might have another Calgary guy talked into it but it would be sweet if there were a few other Suzuki guys going. It's not that I don't like Festivas (I've spent my share of time in one) but there aren't many swifts left around here and it would be cool to meet some other guys keeping them alive.

88 Forsa Turbo, 14psi rust bucket, DD
Or as my friends like to call it "The Foreskin"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:20 am 

Would love to have you join us!

Four days and counting.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:23 am 

3cyl_overkill wrote:
I'm seriously thinking about bringing the Swift out. I was really hoping I could entice a couple more swift guys out. I know there's a couple really nice ones cruising around Calgary and I'd love to have a closer look! I might have another Calgary guy talked into it but it would be sweet if there were a few other Suzuki guys going. It's not that I don't like Festivas (I've spent my share of time in one) but there aren't many swifts left around here and it would be cool to meet some other guys keeping them alive.

kinda thinking about this cruise still, what time do you expect to be at site ?

2010 Equator White
2000 Solara convert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:05 am 

The official start time is 10:00am.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:33 pm 

Just got home from the Barlow Trail PnP here in Calgary. While I was there I spotted a Swift Turbo in the parking lot. Looks to have come from California. Forgot to leave an invitation card or take any photos... if that was you please feel free to join us on Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:02 pm 

wgotzman wrote:
3cyl_overkill wrote:

I would love to have a peek at your turbo "big block". Have you had it on a dyno at all? I've been wanting to build a 1.3 turbo for quite a while now. My car isn't quite done but it's close enough for a little cruise. So if you can commit to going I'll head out too. I know it's a bit of a haul from spruce grove but I would probably be at wedge pond at 10:45-11:00.

Casey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:51 pm 

3cyl_overkill wrote:
wgotzman wrote:
3cyl_overkill wrote:

I would love to have a peek at your turbo "big block". Have you had it on a dyno at all? I've been wanting to build a 1.3 turbo for quite a while now. My car isn't quite done but it's close enough for a little cruise. So if you can commit to going I'll head out too. I know it's a bit of a haul from spruce grove but I would probably be at wedge pond at 10:45-11:00.

Casey

Thanks - i am not sure about the "big block" but i am going to plan on coming out should be a great weekend for weather and a cruise.

I will shoot for 10:00 - 10:30 AM

2010 Equator White
2000 Solara convert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:29 pm 

wgotzman wrote:
3cyl_overkill wrote:

Casey

Thanks - i am not sure about the "big block" but i am going to plan on coming out should be a great weekend for weather and a cruise.

I will shoot for 10:00 - 10:30 AM
[/quote]

Awesome, I'll see you out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:39 pm 

Looking forward to meeting you guys. If all goes as planned we'll be there well before 10:00. Look for the goofy guy and his red Festiva on the left side of the main parking lot. Weather looks great so bring some sun screen and some water!!

Post subject: Westiva 2014 Photos
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:32 am 

We had a great day at Westiva. Couldn't have asked for better weather... 30°C/86°F with hardly a cloud in the sky. This was the first year we've invited other econoboxes from the same era as our Festiva and we weren't disappointed, two members of the Teamswift.net forum joined us for the day. First to arrive was 3cyl_overkill and his 89 Swift GS sporting a well built 1.0L 3 cylinder turbocharged engine running upwards of 16lbs of boost on stock engine management on 94 octane gas. Interesting bit about his car is that it was originally from Holland. wgotzmann and his wife from Spruce Grove AB were next to arrive. Theirs is a 1990 Swift GT that they purchased new in 1991 and have thoroughly gone over the car in the years they've owned in. The engine bay sports a 1.3L DOHC turbocharged engine, the paint is all original for the most part, very little rust, all in all a very nice example of the breed.

Casey's car. Minus a hood... it's having some rust repairs done.

A couple of shots of Wilf's car

I know this is photo section but to be honest I forgot to take a lot of photos so I'm hoping the other attendees will add to this thread in short order. I know the some GoPro footage was taken as we cruised from Wedge Pond up to Boulton Creek.

Now on to the Festivas. Sharon and I were there of course with my car and my daughter's '93 B6 GL. Worked on mine til late last night getting the replacement hatch installed along with the new speakers in the passenger door.

Also in attendance from the Fordfestiva.com forum were Brad (littlehoe) with his '90 from Prince Albert SK. Bob II (bolokid) and his son Bob III drove their '91 auto with the freshly rebuilt engine all the way from Pasco WA. The car had only 300 miles on the engine prior to making the trip! Tom (tommychu) was there as well with his lifted Kia Sportage as his Festiva is still out of commission. At least he kept it in the family Kia built with Mazda FE-3 engine!

Here are some of the photos I took.

From left to right: Tom's Sportage, Brad's '90 Festiva, my daughter's '93, my '92, Casey's '89 Swift GS, Wilf's '90 Swift GT and Bob II's '91 Festiva.

Winner of this year's long distance award went to Bob. He beat out Brad by about 40km/25miles. As mentioned Bob's rebuilt engine only had about 300 miles on it prior to starting out. He has also added A/C and power steering to the mix. He told us the car ran great and cruised at 70-75mph without too much fuss.

Bob's tidy engine bay.

Taken just before the Bobs arrived

It was great to have Casey and Wilf there with their Swifts. Everyone enjoyed the day, the ice cream was great and the water at Upper Kananaskis Lake was refreshing to say the least! Already looking forward to Westiva 2015 (tentative date, July 11. Start your planning now!)