TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:30 pm 

After driving another 25,000kms on my Kumho ECSTA Supra 712's to the point where they were completely bald, I stepped up my tire selection to the Toyo Proxes. Let me say now: WOW. The car rides better than with 175/70R13 tires, and handles amazingly in the dry AND wet. There is no road noise what-so-ever from the tires either. They also do NOT follow every single crack/groove that my Kumho's did.

Having said that, there is one dissapointment that I noticed right away. The sidewall of the Toyo's are quite a bit softer than the Kumho's. My Kumho's were super-responsive at 34psi all around. The Toyo's set at 35psi are not nearly as responsive. I am going to bump the tires up to 40psi and see if that solves the problem. Even if I cannot get this characteristic to completely go away, it is well worth the tradeoff of ride/noise.

And just so everybody knows, I purchased these tires for $600 on the dot (including shipping and tax) from tiretrends.com (located in BC). It took 3 weeks to get them, but it was well worth the wait. I can't wait to auto-x on them!

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:19 pm 

I just ordered the T1-R 195/45/14 from edgeracing.com cost me $360CND with shipping to my aunts house in Chicago, i'll let you guys know in the spring how i like them.
-amer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:35 pm 
Main twit

killer tires. ran them all summer on my mk1. good street tire...

not so sure how they will hold up on the track... its not a full blown race rubber.

Mk1 3cyl - 185whp/150ftlbs - 1/4mile 13.97@103mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:05 am 

crnolic wrote:
I just ordered the T1-R 195/45/14 from edgeracing.com cost me $360CND with shipping to my aunts house in Chicago, i'll let you guys know in the spring how i like them.
-amer

Is this a new profile for the proxies, I recall researching tires a year ago and not finding some of the high performance toyo tires in 14 inch sizes. Maybe that's just in Australia. I will check out there site again and maybe keep em mind for my next tires in the far future.

Sounds like a great profile, wide yet with low sidewall. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:19 am 

I know that the Toyo Proxes T1-R model has been available in the low profile 195/45R14 size for at least almost a year now.

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:53 pm 

I to bought my toyo t1-r's from tiretrends.com. I have been very happy with these 195/45/15 tires. I have driven on them two summers now and very happy with the wear. The seem to be wearing not as fast as I orginally thought they might. After two summers of driving I have at least 75% tread left.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:55 pm 

Put them on the car last summer, drove down to Montreal, had the car out for about a month now, no complaints
tires get 5 stars.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:03 am 

those tyres do not do that well on track cos the sidewall's pretty soft...My toyo R1Rs are way much better in terms of grip and handling but they kinda suck in the wet...Get T1R if yea looking for a balanced tyre...

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:35 pm 

extremerider wrote:
killer tires. ran them all summer on my mk1. good street tire...

not so sure how they will hold up on the track... its not a full blown race rubber.

I think Toyo's R888 would do better on a dry track compare to T1-R's

To bad the thinnest T1-R's are 195, since the biggest size on a GTi rim is 185 (wich is already on it)

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:51 pm 
King of Pompous

The Whisper wrote:
I think Toyo's R888 would do better on a dry track compare to T1-R's

With its race compound 100UTG rating vs the 280UTG street compoundof the T1-R I think its fairly obvious that the R888 would outperform it on a track.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:36 am 

Agreed...

T1-R are awesome for the street (I got them), but for the track R888 would be better choice...

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:55 pm 

O.K I'm reviving this old thread just because i totally agree. I bought some Toyos T1-R. and they are amazing for the first time under monsoon season here in Texas the swift feel like its on tracks. When i had the 14" goodyear new tiers. I had to drive on the slow lane when it was pouring because my car would slip and slide. screech on tight turns and spin on hard take off. so :salute: to Toyo