TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:44 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:28 pm 

My Colt died a couple months ago... I'm finally getting around to doing the engine swap. It's a G13B that I hot tanked and put new bearings / seals in. I have a TD05H that will be going on it too. Probably goint to run around 8 lbs boost or so, as I'm going to run the stock computer and it's going to be my driver.

Before:

Ready to get started:

Trans, out of a 94 2wd Suzuki sidekick. Could have gone with a Samurai trans, but they aren't as strong plus they don't have a speedo cable output. Colt 4speed on top, Sidekick 5speed on bottom. Will be making my own adapter plate. From the engine mounting surface to the shifter it was less than a 1/4" difference, surprisingly.

And what it looks like now, after cutting the tunnel to make the trans fit. :( Looks much better than the bland lump that was in it before! Started making motor mounts last night, then it's on to making the exhaust manifold.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:35 pm 

It looks good in there, but why not a 4G63?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:54 pm 
Suzuki Elder

that is cool! 8)

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:12 pm 

suprf1y wrote:
It looks good in there, but why not a 4G63?

1) I had the engine already (left over from a fleeting thought of putting a G13B in a 914)
2) Weight
3) Fuel mileage
4) I had the engine already.
5) I like the G13B
6) I had the engine already.

I know you can basically bolt in a 4G63 and 5 speed from a mighty max or D50, but this will be a little different and get better mileage. Plus, with how much lighter it is and how far back I'm having to set it to clear the steering and crossmember I'm curious to see the weight distribution.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:05 pm 

very nice im goin to have to come down and take a look. will it be ready for the meet? I got my hands full with my hyundai swap but if ya need a hand id love to help.

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:15 am 

Those and the Arrows are great cars. They can be made very fast easily, and handle great.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:10 pm 

Joe i need inspiration bad how about an update? (and Pic's)

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:55 pm 

It has probably been covered but how do you get the water out of the head? Thermostat can be remote mounted so do you make a blockoff plate pull the water somewhere else? I am thinking of a 1.6 Esteem powered 91 Metro so I am just asking. It won't apply to my project.
:)

I sold this car to a friend at work. I now have a Saturn L which is an Opel Vectra B.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:28 pm 

Not a whole lot of progress to report.... I have the mounts mostly made now. The last couple weekends have been a bust for working on cars. I went to supercross in Seattle 2 weeks ago then riding in the Oregon high desert last weekend. It's been a hard life the last couple weeks :D

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:59 pm 

Sweet ride..just saw this!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:44 pm 

Got it back in the shop and started making progress again. Put my spare engine in to mock it up and teaching myself to tig weld. I'm happy with the results so far as it's my first attempt at it. Manifold is 304ss 1-1/4 ss weld elbows.

Got my clutch cable bracket lasered up and formed, ready for welding:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:46 am 

Any progress is good, keep after it. :mrgreen:

I sold this car to a friend at work. I now have a Saturn L which is an Opel Vectra B.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:32 pm 

Very cool swap. I love seeing that powerplant in unique cars like this. Is it just me or does the g13b look ridiculously sexy when it's mounted longitudinally?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:17 pm 

That's awesome nice work!
I could see myself when I am older putting a G13B into a karman ghia or Lotus Europa http://startinggrid.files.wordpress.com ... 07a_b2.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 pm 

Thanks guys, the trans just blew up in my Jeep so I haven't been able to work on this yet again, but I'm hoping to be back on it by the weekend.