TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Turn signal issue
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:09 pm 

Having an intermitted problem. When not working correctly, will take about 10 seconds for the first flash, but will freeze on. Rear lights and dash lights "on", seldom the front. Pulled the relay - looked good - flushed with cleaner - reasembled/installed. Same when using the emergency button. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Turn signal issue
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm 

Start with "ALL" Bulbs, cleaning all connections as you go (Especially any green Goo), Next replace Flasher (if so equipped ) Clean as you go, Next, Check for grounds where they should be ,then grounds where they shouldn't Be (Bare wires) Then go to the turn signal switch in the column. This is how I would check things out If I didn't have any diagnostic equipment. (and if my pool of knowledgeable friends was very limited and I had More time then money available to me :( :( ). others who are more knowledgeable then I ,may have other/Better advise , If so, I gladly defer to them. but if not, My advise will at least give you a place to start, and not cost alot to administer. and also will eliminate the simple and most obvious (and cheap) possibilities, Good luck, Jonathan

1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 75% Done.(Clean SW car)
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/PW (Resto-Mod,60% done.)(Clean SW car)
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sedan (Painted 2005 Ford Kona Blue) 95k 1.3 SOHC 5sp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:38 pm 

Ok, so all has been well the last 2 days.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:44 pm 

Im having the same issue here, but mine is a bit weird. My turn signals wont work properly if the outside temperature isnt very hot (90 +). If you try to get them to work in the early morning they wont work at all, you have to move the lever to L or R and leave it there a while, so it will start kind of warming up, they will blink once, then after a cople of minutes it will start blinking slowly, until after several minutes later itll flash normally. I took the inside fuse box out, checked every fuse, checked all connectors and cant seem to find a solution.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:03 pm 
Suzuki Elder

in both of these cases i believe that you are having issues with the flasher relay.

the way the oem flasher works is that the circuit current for all the lights runs through a filament type heater on a bi-metal contact point set that breaks the circuit when the contacts open.

the bi-metal cools down and the points close again.

in the first case it sounds like an intermittent failure and in the second case it sounds like the bi-metal rating is too close to your ambient temperature.

when i swapped all my lighting to led i had to find a transistor timed flasher. it had a timing circuit which gave me a normal flash sequence. they aren't affected by circuit current and not only do they compensate for very low current applications, they will also drive a bunch of lights with the ability to handle more power for truck and trailer use.

i buy the transistorized flashers at auto zone but i can't remember the part number. to use it i had to trim off a small nub on the case that was for the american-ese modern connector. the flasher is located on the top of the under dash fuse block.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:17 pm 

GROTE flasher part number 44891
has two contacts, 3rd one is a short pig-tail that needs to be grounded. used that on my metro with led bulbs, cured the rapid flash rate. need to trim fuse-block to fit as well.

or TRIDON/STANT (TRICO) part number EP35
has 3 contacts, no pigtail...but not sure if its a direct fit....used it on work trucks with led lights.
fuse block would still need to be trimmed :huh: . slightly smaller than Grote brand.

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:18 pm 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:02 pm 

Since this tread is already open I will ask my question here.

My turn signals have just gone completely out. No emergency flashers either. Just dead.

I've checked all of my fuses and I can't find my manual right now. Is this a flasher relay? Where is the dang thing at? It's not under the dash as far as I can tell.

What does it look like and where is it located? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:30 pm 

Not sure what is wrong still, but the lights began working of their own accord last night.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:22 pm 

flasher relay is on top of fuse block, you need to drop the fuse block to get access to it.

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)