TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:43 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:52 pm 

Thank you. 8)

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:58 am 

There were two cultus piston designs. Both were domed, but one more than the other. It looked to me like the ones you bought were the lower ones, but if you measure the dome, I can try to calculate roughly what compression you would have with the angle mill. With the domed piston, and that small chamber, you don't have to remove much material to get in the 12-1 range.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:42 am 

Mike it's the 1.2mm dome ones.
How much should be enough for 12.5-1 CR?
I friend of mine thinks i'm crazy for doing the angle mill. :lol: :lol:

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:04 pm 

If I recall, you don't even need to angle mill. I think .5 mm off the surface might do it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:24 pm 

I am building a DOHC GT 16 valve engine but will be using 98 and later ODB2 PCM and harness for Fuel management.
THe ODB2 is much easier to tune then the ODB1. I will also be making an engine adapter so I can advance the timing,
98 injectors, and all the 98 sensors.
Some hard facts about the engines we use.
1.3L DOHC 16 valve GT rods are forged, have a bushing for the wrist pin for better free floating, beefed up webs at the crankshaft end. Better steel.
1.3L SOHC 16 valve rods are cast, no upper bushing but the wrist pins are floated, very similar to the 1.3L 8 valve rods.
1.3L DOHC 16 valve pistons are flat top for higher compression, better oil control, valve relief cuts in the piston tops.
1.3L SOHC 16 valve pistons dished for lower compression, valve relief cuts in the piston tops.
The angle of the valves is different between the DOHC and the SOHC 16 valve motors. In two weeks I will know if the valve relief's have to be recut to use DOHC pistons with a SOHC head.
DOHC injectors go into the cylinder head.
SOHC injectors go into the intake manifold
DOHC crankshaft is forged with cross drilled oil feed holes
SOHC cast crankshaft no cross drilled holes
DOHC pcm goes up to 8,000 rpm
SOHC pcm only goes up to 6,000 rpm
DOHC oil pump has less volume of oil flow
SOHC oil pump has thicker gears and more volume of oil flow.
DOHC uses a distributor and you can adjust timing
SOHC uses cam sensor and timing is not adjustable. (but the timing map seems to be good for the engine)
DOHC egr valve
SOHC no egr valve
intakes will not swap
exhaust will not swap
Both engines use the same motor mount configuration
GT transmission has an additional bell housing bracket to stiffen the bell housing on hard usage of the car.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:40 am 

A bunch of those "hard facts" are wrong

What kind of adapter will you be making to adjust the timing?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:18 am 

Apologies for bumping an old thread:

I currently have a DOHC and a 16v 1.3 apart. The head on the Twin Cam is junk and i've got a cracked ringland on 1 piston. I'm planning on a doing a quick and dirty re-ringing of the block. Would it be worth the effort to source a new DOHC piston and swap the GT rods and pistons into the SOHC block while everything is apart? I'm going to have the head reworked and .10 taken off. Also planning on buying a cam from Mike, porting the TB and intake mani, and using a stock GT exhaust manifold. I'm building an engine for a ChumpCar.

Thanks!

Kyle

2014 BRZ Limited in WRB - The car payment

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:12 am 

It won't hurt.

I thought it would be a good idea and recommended it to a few customers but based on what Cody has told me, he did it, and the benefits were minimal if not unnoticeable.

You could always bore the bock a mm and put a set of 12.5-1 D16 pistons in :lol: