TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:53 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i recently picked up a really cheap 97 swift with the 8 valve 1.3 liter automatic drive train. there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust valve lash on this critter and it ticks pretty loudly.

there was a re-conditioned head bolted on when i got it. i got the valve timing and distributor timing sorted out and the engine runs really strong. it just seems to clatter a bit compared to my g10, g10t, and dohc g13b engines.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:23 pm 

Is the lash out of spec? All the engines at the end of your list have hydraulic lifters which make them quieter. Does the 8v has rocker arms? I would check the specs but I know MK1 can sound like diesels even when their valve lash is in spec due to rockers.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:52 am 

The 1995+ 8-valve engines have non-adjustable hydraulic rockers. I know someone with one of these engines and he got rid of a tick by using synthitic oil for a few changes.

1991 Swift - Parts car (gone)
1990 Swift - Parts car
1997 Metro - Parts car (gone)
1993 Metro - Parts car
1989 Swift GTi - Parts car
1998 Metro - Parts car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:46 am 
abby normal

the rocker arm shaft bores may be worn out of spec. I saw this problem on a set removed
at pic n pull. ( I was going to try them on a MK1 T3 ) The excessive clearance would probably
not let the lifter pump up. :(

good luck :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:06 pm 

Old thread but I searched it and that's what I got. I have a 96 metro with the 1.3 8 valve and it has a tic when cold. Couldn't find any adjustments when I did crank and cam and valve cover seals and gasket, and everything else that goes along with it. So these have hydraulic rockers that pump up from the cam shaft? It's quite loud and just gets old. Do the arm bores thereselves wear out or is it usually the cam itself that wears out?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:32 pm 

Holy old thread revival :shock:

Less likely a wear issue. More likely a gummed up lifter..try lighter synthetic oil at next oil change.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:36 am 

Yikes :x

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:29 am 

its only 9 years old. but hay, give him a break. he used the search like everybody always says to and gives a hard time to those that don't. he found a thread with his same problem and didn't start a new one.

what i have done in the past is drained the oil, put 3 qt. new oil in and added a solvent based motor flush in. i then rev the motor to about 2000-2500 rpm for about 5 min. then drain the oil and change the filter. has worked every time and the new oil will most likely come out black. do not drive around with the flush as i have seen it blow up motor's doing that. another old school way it to add a qt. of atf to the oil and drive it for a week or 3.

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"