TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:39 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

Bought a '98 suzuki swift sohc 16v today...
now to make the commuter fun ;)

if anyone can give me a definative answer on which clusters w/ a tach can be straight swapped in I'd appreciate it.

next up will be figuring out a good balanced 14" tire size and dropping the suspension a couple inches so that GIANT booty isn't so 'in your face' ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:28 pm 

Congrats. Now we're like brothers, with the Mk1, and the Mk5 :P
What are you thoughts about the way it drives, as an ex GT owner?
I have a cluster from a 94 GT that I'm going to try tonight, or tomorrow.
If that doesn't work out, one of my local yards has a pile of the 95-97 cars.
I have a few tricks up my sleeve.
Stay tuned for the buildup :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:45 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

try it out tonight !
it's a really SOLID feeling car, a little lacking in torque and doesn't rev anything like the gt ....
but then this is the first time I've driven a 'stock' car in soooo long

I can't drive stick (to it's full potential) with an engine I can't hear and no tach :P
the gt cluster might be nice, anything to be rid of that stupid upshift indicator :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:59 pm 

You need a '98-'01 tach cluster. The earlier clusters won't work. The tach will be inop. Some have said the car's wiring is different for the earlier cars. I had a '96 cluster in my 2000 and the tach was inop but tested good in the '96 car. At any rate, if you go with any other tach, the brown wire in the cluster harness is the tach signal output from the computer.

Go buy a Suzuki RD header for it, you will not be disappointed. Also have Mike carve you a cam with the profile I had in my 2000 LSi. It worked great. Lots of gain everywhere and plenty of low end still with a killer strong mid/topend. Well worth buying that cam profile. Quick bolt on mod...swap the airbox bottom with a GT box bottom. Meaning the part that has the tube going into the fenderwell. You will see what I mean by holding both in your hands. The GT box will flow more air. Get rid of all the inner fenderwell air tube silencer stuff. It is way restrictive. A 54mm TB is plenty. The long shaft 60mm Nissan TB is a bolt on but use the GT throttle plate damper so it isn't such a on/off feeling. You already know this. Set the TPS resistance to 480 ohms at closed throttle. I am pretty sure that is the good spec. Run a SAFC II APEXi to clean up the fuel mixture. 2" OD exhaust is good. GT lower & rear braces are direct bolt on, upper won't clear the master. Check my gallery for Prothane urethane suspension bushing part numbers. They are dirt cheep at JC Whitney. Paragon Performance braided brake lines are excellent. That is the one's I had built for my car. Tommy runs them on his GT. Port match that intake as the runners need it. Run the valve lash at minimum spec. Mike knows the good numbers to set them for.

Mike 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:06 pm 

Wow WEOH, you've covered everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:13 pm 

T Bell wrote:
Wow WEOH, you've covered everything.

Yea a few years with that '00 LSi helped me a lot to understand what worked and what was worthless to try :razz: Never realized just how fast my car was until the guy who bought it raced his 5 speed '98 LSi a few dozen times while driving the 150 mile trip back home with his buddy. He emailed me later that day to tell me the 5 speed '98 LSi got smoked real bad by the mod '00 LSi autobox :shock: Yea an autobox eating a 5 speed alive...LOL!!! Mike Cove and Andy of Suzuki RD had a lot to do with that car being so fast. Those two guys can be trusted whatever they tell you will work, as it did work very well in my old '00 Metro. But now I drive a high 13 second car with a big wing :lol:

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:18 am 

You guys are making me want a MK4/5 car really bad!

Currently driving a 1996 Geo Metro 1.0L
Mods coming...............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:36 am 

They are a good handling car to start with plus the newer interior makes them nice to drive everyday. The 16v SOHC G13B is a little sleeper waiting to be woke up; and that is easy as pie to do with not much money involved. The factory cam profile is super conservative which can be seen by installing a Mike Cove cam and noticing the huge gains with that part all by itself. The factory intake manifold is a wonderful design. It can use a small bit of port matching by the welds on the head flange but that is it. The throttle body opening is 45mm from the factory and can be opened up to 58-60mm depending on the material left after porting the TB flange. Mine went to 59.xx millimeter after a bit of stone grinding with the die grinder. It is hard steel so it takes a bit of effort but is worth it to bolt on a Nissan TB. I ran the long shaft 60mm TB which was more than plenty airflow. Suzuki RD makes larger TB's for it and a nice affordable 4:1 header that just plain works without question. Their quality is excellent as is their support of the Suzuki community. Many GT parts bolt onto the '95-'01 chassis. Prothane makes a super nice set of swaybar bushings that work excellent and cost under $40.00 US shipped to your door. I think the car with a M-62 Eaton blower mounted on it would be a untouchable combination for a daily driver and weekend racer. The LSJ 2.0 liter GM motor comes with that blower and a super cool water to air intercooler mounted under the blower. That intake/blower/intercooler could be modified to fit the 16v SOHC G13B. The blower used can be found for $800 US. It can run 17psi with a 2.6" pulley which would turn that G13B into a 200+ HP animal :twisted: with 34 PPH injectors and a SAFC II running the show. That combo would give you freekin killer torque right from idle to the rev limiter at 6500. A damn good posi would be absolutely necessary along with wide sticky tires but the performance would be a screamer :twisted: There is no reason the car wouldn't run at least low 12 second quarters setup that way. It would be a real eye opener at any Swiffer meet :lol:

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:33 am 

n1tr0 wrote:
if anyone can give me a definative answer on which clusters w/ a tach can be straight swapped in I'd appreciate it.

next up will be figuring out a good balanced 14" tire size and dropping the suspension a couple inches so that GIANT booty isn't so 'in your face' ...

I tied five different clusters over the course of about six years, never found one that would work. The mk4 cluster will definitely not work. Of course a mk5 four cylinder would, but I never found one in the junkyard. I finally gave up and hacked a Summit Racing shift light tach into the cluster.

I ran 185/60-14's on GT steelies for years, worked very well. Cut one coil off the fronts, and 7/8 of a coil off the rears.

The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.

Ayn Rand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:50 am 

^ I was just about to post that you'd been through hell and back with the cluster swapping :lol:

Welcome to the awesome MK5!! :D Something very interesting that you should always remember: WesternGTi turbocharged the G13BB, and on a completely stock engine, halfway tuned, and using a CT9 turbo at 7 psi, he made 168 whp :shock: I think you've already seen it, but I've gone turbo on mine, and it's already stomped 2 high 13 second cars, although it's still untuned and the turbo is leaking at cracks in the wastegate :? Can't wait to get it tuned, as 180 whp at 10 psi sounds most doable to me :wink: I also really like the supercharged idea.... I've been looking into starting that project on the other MK5 I've got... Damn you Mike for resparking my interest :razz:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:10 am 

Wait till you cam it.
That thing only has 184 degrees duration at .050", in a mechanical setup. That would be about 180 degrees, or less, lashed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:23 am 

BlurComet wrote:

Welcome to the awesome MK5!! :D I also really like the supercharged idea.... I've been looking into starting that project on the other MK5 I've got... dang you Mike for resparking my interest :razz:

I think the M-62 will fit real nice under the hood. Here's a pic of it. Plus you get the wicked blower whine which is a head turner by itself 8) Think lots-o-torque :twisted:

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:30 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

well I found a cluster ...
now to get some 185/55/r14 tires for my old rims and cut a coil all the way around :)

also need to find some decent speakers, it's only got whatever stock speakers came in the front (nothing in the back) ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:20 am 
Suzuki Elder

here's what i did in the front of lizzie's new mk4:

the previous owner must have had 5 x 7" speakers mounted in the rear side panels. i had a set of nakamichi 6 x 9" mid bass drivers so i enlarged the mounting holes and popped them in the back for some upper/ mid bass reinforcement. it sounds pretty good running on head unit power.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:11 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

t3 ragtop wrote:
the previous owner must have had 5 x 7" speakers mounted in the rear side panels. i had a set of nakamichi 6 x 9" mid bass drivers so i enlarged the mounting holes and popped them in the back for some upper/ mid bass reinforcement. it sounds pretty good running on head unit power.

well I can leave the fronts for the moment, I do have a pair of 6x9's collecting dust. any pictures of the rear install ? were you cutting up the plastic trim, or is there some metal behind it to mount the speakers to ?

I'm hoping my new laptop battery is waiting for me at work so I can hook up my obd2 software and start scanning the ecu as well....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:53 pm 

n1tr0 wrote:
I'm hoping my new laptop battery is waiting for me at work so I can hook up my obd2 software and start scanning the ecu as well....

Me too....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:33 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

if you need an awesome datalogger/obd2 scantool, check out the harrison
http://www.obdscan.net/
kicks but and costs very little ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:24 pm 

But why scan when you can flash that sucker :twisted: http://www.hptuners.com
They'll do custom stuff to talk to whatever computer. Maybe worth asking about the GM aka Suzuki computer in the OBD II Metro/Swift cars.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:52 am 

superf1y, I'm pretty sure the '98 and up Swift's only came with teh 1.3L G13BB, which would make his 5-speed a 3.79 fd.

Holy cow, WEOH, that supercharger IS tiny! :shock: Ohhhohoho... wicked ideas are brewing... I might PM you later on the subject, as I'm trying ot avoid hijacking n1tro's thread :lol:

EDIT: Fixed the fd ratio; it's actually 3.79 :? Man, I need ot swap in the GTi trans :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:27 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

BlurComet wrote:
EDIT: Fixed the fd ratio; it's actually 3.79 :? Man, I need ot swap in the GTi trans :(

I was going to say something, I know I haven't got a tach in there to see what sort of rpm's I'm turning on the highway, but it seems much lower then it would be in my gti or t3 ..

on the flipside.. we went for a drive over the mountains yesterday (snoqualmie pass) cruising at 65-70mph and slowly accelerating in 5th gear part throttle (91 degrees at the top of the summit) and we were passing almost everyone ... so the car has plenty of torque/power

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:28 am 
Teamswift Street Pharmacist

BlurComet wrote:
superf1y, I'm pretty sure the '98 and up Swift's only came with teh 1.3L G13BB, which would make his 5-speed a 3.79 fd.

Swift only came with the 1.3 after 1995 (not sure before but I think in the US it's the same and there's only in other markets that it was offered with 1.0, correct me if I'm wrong) and the motor switched from 8 to 16 valves in 98

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:03 pm 

And I am really sure the 1 Liter Metro's came with a 4:39 final ratio in the newer chassis. 1.3 liter had highway gearing while the 1 liter had it a bit easier with the steeper gears.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:36 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

I think finding a gt gearbox with the 4.10 would be ideal, need a bit more gearing for around town, but still want to be able to make long highway roadtrips...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:12 pm 

BlurComet wrote:
Holy cow, WEOH, that supercharger IS tiny! :shock: Ohhhohoho... wicked ideas are brewing... I might PM you later on the subject, as I'm trying ot avoid hijacking n1tro's thread :lol:

Make your idea into a thread...i am interested too you know!

Also WE0H how fast is your Metro/Swift etc? 1/4mile? 0-60?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:48 pm 

Never took the car to the track so no slips to show. I haven't a clue how fast/quick the car was. The guy who bought it is registered here so he may chime in. I don't know his user name though. He is in southern Minnesota. The last I heard he was swapping in a 4:39 5 speed and setting the car up for drags. He did tell me that the 2000 would run right with his '98 or '99 whichever year it was, 5 speed Metro and after 60 MPH the race was done as the 2000 pulled on it real hard and the 5 speed car was left in the dust. He even switched drivers with the same results. Bottom line, between Mike Cove and Suzuki RD, the new style G13B can be made into something a Swift GT would have to play catch up in a race. There is tons of potential just waiting to be unleashed. :twisted:

Now back to Kris's thread...are you planning on a hotter cam than stock? 8)

Mike