TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:50 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:41 pm 

My goal is to put a 1.3L DOHC engine into a 98 Metro using the 98 PCM.
The 98 has no distributor, but uses a cam sensor instead with coil packs.
Here are some pictures of how I made this happen on the 92 1.3L DOHC.
3094 shows the new sensor housing, the new cover, and the old GT distributor.
The GT rotor was modified to act like the cam sensor. The pickup coils are completely
different. So I had to use the 98 cam sensor.
Attachment:
IMG_3094.JPG

This arrangement will also give me the ability to adjust the timing. The 98 and later cars
have non adjustable timing.
3099 shows the sensor with cover installed and the old GT distributor. New cover even got
an o ring to seal it.
Attachment:
IMG_3099.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

Last edited by fainya on Wed May 06, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:28 pm 

Quote:
This arrangement will also give me the ability to adjust the timing. The 98 and later cars
have non adjustable timing.

No it won't. Timing is off the crank sensor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:02 pm 

1st attempt at putting a 98 cam shaft sensor didn't work. Engine would misfire above 3,000 rpm.
So I got a block of aluminum and machined a housing that would use the 98 stater and pickup coil.
3372 shows the shaft hole with all the different diameters. Back to front shaft bushing hole, seal hole
main shaft bearing hole, and cam sensor stator hole.

Attachment:
IMG_3372.JPG

Lots of machine time into making this cam sensor housing.
The 98 stator is pressed onto the cam shaft. A spacer had to be fabricated to allow the stator to be pressed fitted onto
a GT distributor shaft.
3373 shows most of the parts and the new cam sensor housing that would fit onto the DOHC head. New parts on the
left. Old parts on the right.

Attachment:
IMG_3373.JPG

A trial run on making sure that all the parts would fit and that the stator would be centered to the pickup coil,
having an air gap of 0.035". The air gap is important. I had version one to close to the pickup coil and it generated
alot of noise. My oscilloscope showed me the noise.
3380 shows the 1st assembly of the parts. This allowed me to recut the cam sensor block to get everything right.

Attachment:
IMG_3380.JPG

3383 second assembly with the dimensions adjusted. It is now ready to fit into the engine before final machining.

Attachment:
IMG_3383.JPG

3395 show the cam sensor housing installed on the engine. I also move the ground bundle eyelet off of the coil base to the cylinder head. This fixed the running problems and now for the final road test.

Attachment:
IMG_3395.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:05 am 

How did it test out? That machine work is sweet.

fainya wrote:
1st attempt at putting a 98 cam shaft sensor didn't work. Engine would misfire above 3,000 rpm.
So I got a block of aluminum and machined a housing that would use the 98 stater and pickup coil.
3372 shows the shaft hole with all the different diameters. Back to front shaft bushing hole, seal hole
main shaft bearing hole, and cam sensor stator hole.

Attachment:
IMG_3372.JPG

Lots of machine time into making this cam sensor housing.
The 98 stator is pressed onto the cam shaft. A spacer had to be fabricated to allow the stator to be pressed fitted onto
a GT distributor shaft.
3373 shows most of the parts and the new cam sensor housing that would fit onto the DOHC head. New parts on the
left. Old parts on the right.

Attachment:
IMG_3373.JPG

A trial run on making sure that all the parts would fit and that the stator would be centered to the pickup coil,
having an air gap of 0.035". The air gap is important. I had version one to close to the pickup coil and it generated
alot of noise. My oscilloscope showed me the noise.
3380 shows the 1st assembly of the parts. This allowed me to recut the cam sensor block to get everything right.

Attachment:
IMG_3380.JPG

3383 second assembly with the dimensions adjusted. It is now ready to fit into the engine before final machining.

Attachment:
IMG_3383.JPG

3395 show the cam sensor housing installed on the engine. I also move the ground bundle eyelet off of the coil base to the cylinder head. This fixed the running problems and now for the final road test.

Attachment:
IMG_3395.JPG

1998 3/5, GR2 KYBs new mounts all around, Spring rubber spacers for that nice handling and rally look, MB x 7 wheels, Drilled and Slotted front discs, ceramic pads, New Lower control arms, New inner outer tie rods, Urethane bushings and zerk fittings, Urethane sway bar endlinks and bushings. new half shafts, New front bearings, Dark tinted windows, New 2 core radiator, 195 thermostat, Push button start. Silicone hoses (blue) installed CS 130 (105 amp) alternator conversion.