1st attempt at putting a 98 cam shaft sensor didn't work. Engine would misfire above 3,000 rpm.
So I got a block of aluminum and machined a housing that would use the 98 stater and pickup coil.
3372 shows the shaft hole with all the different diameters. Back to front shaft bushing hole, seal hole
main shaft bearing hole, and cam sensor stator hole.
Lots of machine time into making this cam sensor housing.
The 98 stator is pressed onto the cam shaft. A spacer had to be fabricated to allow the stator to be pressed fitted onto
a GT distributor shaft.
3373 shows most of the parts and the new cam sensor housing that would fit onto the DOHC head. New parts on the
left. Old parts on the right.
A trial run on making sure that all the parts would fit and that the stator would be centered to the pickup coil,
having an air gap of 0.035". The air gap is important. I had version one to close to the pickup coil and it generated
alot of noise. My oscilloscope showed me the noise.
3380 shows the 1st assembly of the parts. This allowed me to recut the cam sensor block to get everything right.
3383 second assembly with the dimensions adjusted. It is now ready to fit into the engine before final machining.
3395 show the cam sensor housing installed on the engine. I also move the ground bundle eyelet off of the coil base to the cylinder head. This fixed the running problems and now for the final road test.