TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:12 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:00 pm 

I've got an 1988 Suzuki forsa (same as chevy sprint) that has a tachometer that goes kuckoo at about 4000 rpm. Below 4000rpm the engine accelerates just fine, then at about 4000 rpm the tachometer goes crazy and fluctuates rapidly around 6500-7000 RPM (just the needle, not the actual engine speed) and the engine power bogs slightly. This continues for 5-25 seconds before the needle settles back down to 4000rpm and increases accordingly with how much throttle I give it (as one would expect it to) and the power returns. It is like it has a healthy power curve, but there is this long static pause in the middle of accelerating at 4000rpm. It isn't a show stopping problem, the car runs great other than that.

Here's my hypothesis:

Whatever sensor feeds the engine speed information to the instrument cluster probably feeds the same information to the ECM which confuses the computer into mishandling its instructions to the carb. I am supposing if I can track down which sensor actually collects the information about the engine speed I may be able to fix the problem. Basically I am assuming if I can get the tachometer to register the correct engine speed, the power bogging issue will go away since the two issues always occur simultaneously.

I've check my Haynes manual and come up empty. Does anybody know what the doohicky I am looking for is actually called so I can research it on google? Hard to research without knowing the technical name of the part that I am looking for information on. Extra points if you can tell me where on the engine it is located~!

Thanks for reading...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:17 am 

Clay_Statue wrote:
Whatever sensor feeds the engine speed information to the instrument cluster probably feeds the same information to the ECM which confuses the computer into mishandling its instructions to the carb.

If I'm right, and I think I am, that sensor you speak of would be the negative side of the ignition coil.
Start with a good tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc, and go from there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:26 pm 

I've got a new rotor and cap when I installed the new distributer, but my spark plug wires are a mixn' match from different sources so that would be the easiest first line of attack on this issue to replace those with a fresh set. Are there any other sensors that feed the carb that may be out of whack and causing this kind of isolated disturbance? I already replaced the O2. There are also so many friggen' vacuum hoses that control actuators on this sucker.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:41 pm 

Id also look at your ground wires on the car. do the lights or anything else flicker around the same time?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:17 pm 

i have the same problem but mine is an aftermarket tach and it does it when ever it wants not an a especific rpm like yours

header with 2" pipe
2" lift in front
30" tires

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:30 pm 

The lights don't flicker, but the dashboard clock and radio are intermittently powered on any given day.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:45 pm 

Already had new plugs, but I added new wires and a new coil. That made a big difference. Also my alternator was shot so I may not have been getting the voltage necessary to make the coil sing the proper tune. Also my EGR valve was not only completely blocked with soot, but also leaking vacuum pressure. Replaced that one. Its running MUCH MUCH better now, but the tach is still flakey :(