TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:58 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:12 pm 

Glad you made it back, and glad to see you still drive it on the street from time to time 8)

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:04 am 

Here's my fastest run from today's event. This is my last event until nationals next month. Today it was "better figure it out now" time. We changed a lot of settings throughout the day and each run was different but finally came to a very manageable setup for now. Of course it wall all change when we get the new lightweight wheels and the fresh rubber at nats.

Anyways, enjoy! http://youtu.be/_zE20efdIEk

Van

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:01 pm 

Any more news on the build? OR did you sell it? Or are you hibernating for the winter?

1996 Geo Tracker 1.6l 16v 4cyl 1590cc (Daily)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:43 am 

bigbadmonster wrote:
Any more news on the build? OR did you sell it? Or are you hibernating for the winter?

Have you seen the news lately? Colorado is a little 'busy' right now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:30 am 

We still have the car and it's still getting better (hopefully).

Plan on driving it at the next local autocross in a couple weeks. Will update then.

Van

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:38 pm 

Long time no update. Sorry. Not much has happened since last October. We haven't raced it since then. But....we finally got some pimp rear shocks! The OEM junk shocks were more than likely blown and still I was able to do well in the car last year. But the lack of rotation on the rear end made for a pushy car and a difficult time turning the wheel as well.

Double adjustable Koni race. Compression on the bottom. Passenger side is very easy to get to. Image

Driver's side is not as easy to get to. Luckily it's just a turn of the knob and clicks so should be able to adjust on the fly if we need to.

Rebound up top. Doesn't use the standard Koni knob. Just a small allen wrench or whatever to slide in the hole.

Memorizing which way to adjust rebound? Aint nobody got time for that!

I'll update once we take it to the next autocross. Hopefully in a couple weeks.
Van

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:21 pm 

Quote:
pimp rear shocks!

That is a very nice setup! Thanks for updating/sharing.

You may try pressing in a new rear bushing...

Rear Trailing Arm Bushings - Front Position Whiteline W61456 W61456
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141189615736?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I love your adjustable rear spring perch, you've gone leaps and bounds in
fine tuning your OE rear suspension, that is really cool the way you have the rear
set up.

:idea:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:40 am 

Ha thanks. The adjustable perch is actually kinda ghetto but it works. It just slides into the OE perch which has been grinded out a bit so that it will fit. Every time we jack the car up we have to make sure the adjustable perch lines back up into the hole. Not a big deal though.

And yes, we do need to get around to doing bushings. Last year Kinch ended up 2nd in STC at nationals so again this year he has been focusing on the Civic more so than the sprint. So sprint has been taking a back seat as far as driving, development, etc.

Van

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:29 am 

Kinch and Van, I have enjoyed reading through your build and seeing the progress. You have both done a great job on it!
I don't recall it being mentioned but have you done any modifications to the engine, intake or exhaust system?

I grew up with one of these and just recently got into another, trying to see what can be done with such an alien car!

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:56 pm 

We haven't done too much. Manual boost controller. Not really much else. But eventually the plan is megasquirt with E85. :)

Van

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:13 pm 

Haven't updated in a while. Still trying to race it although it's been rare that it runs well enough. So here's a cool pic instead....

Van

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:27 pm 

Hey guys. Long time no post. Last ran it in September 2015 and it had a boost leak. Parked it and let it sit for year and half while life happened. Just got it running well again but then this weekend something weird happened....

So I now live at 10,000ft here in Colorado. I had the boost set at 11psi so it wouldn't activate the POV. Held at 11psi and pulled pretty good. (POV has to remain per the rules). Pulled it onto the trailer and took it to an autocross "down" in Denver at 5200ft. Pulled it off the trailer and into grid. Car ran bad, searching for idle before finally finding it. Car never would go past 8psi no matter how much I turned up the boost. Kept pulling back, couldn't accelerate once it hit 8psi. Not like it just held at 8psi and slowly accelerated. It would just bounce back and forth. Car was just so slow relative to how it used to be. Pulled it onto the trailer and brought back home. Drove it down the road at home and boost was back. I actually had to turn down the boost because I had the controller turned up so much from the event. But now I have it back to 11psi and still pulling all the way up to 7500 rpm or so.

So my question: do our ecu's need to be reset when changing altitude?

I will add this one thing that may have made a difference. I did pull the MAF down in Denver before the event while the car was on the trailer and put it back on like 10-15 min later. Could doing that have messed something up? I know a lot of cars benefit from resetting the ECU when removing the MAF but wasn't sure if our old cars do or not.

I have a big event down in Nebraska at the end of the month but nowhere in Colorado to do any low altitude testing. I'm hoping to get there a day early so I can try and make sure it runs right before the autocross. Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Van (and Kinch)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5