TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:32 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fal's '88 Engine Rebuild
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:30 pm 

Fal's been driving his '88 for a year since he bought an MCS from me.
His compression numbers were low, so I thought he could use a rebuild.
Decided he could use a little traveling medicine man help as he was a bit mechanically challenged on the MK1s.
Threw some tools and spare parts in the back of the old 4 door with 3.79 gears. Yeah, I pulled the front right seat as I had a LOT of parts to bring back from another unnamed Teamswift member.
(Why does the spell checker go crazy when you type 'Teamswift'?)
and headed up to Oregon to meet him.
It was a bit longer than a one hour drive. No wait...it was a 2 day drive. Yep. 500 miles a day...
thus the car had to rest in the rest stops for a few hours while I slept.
So, finally met the bugger.
He told me we would be working at his place, up a twisty dirt road high up in the mountains where the wind whips through at 30 mph all the time. So scare me.
Told him no problem and met up with him at the local Denny's Restaurant.
Next we went to see his supposedly lousy car. Huh?
It ran fine, but only got 35 mpg. Lift the hood, she smelled like a leaky gasoline station.
Looked at the float level-waxed to the max. There was no 'level'. Poor carb was dumping in gas for the past year.
Life is funny.
I expected to be crawling around on my back in the gravel like I was a kid again. Instead, the local (can't mention it) shop volunteered their work bays, complete with $25K Mohawk lift for the weekend. We had a couple of days, so we needed to make good use of them.
Here's the car
she looked a lot better than I thought.
Inside, nothing unusual; all the parts were there:
I figured I wouldn't get a good look at it through rested eyes for a while, so I snapped this:
and because of the backlighting, I snapped this:
because who knows, it might never run again!
So we started to tear it apart, neither of us knowing what to do next...it went along slowly and surely. And we got this far:
but wait...let's take a closer look:
yes the pistons were out.
The oil pan and valve cover were sent out to the local machine shop. Those guys were pissed because he bought a performance head from Suprf1y instead of having them do the work.
So they screwed him on the hot tank. I think they just put it in hot water. Damn thing came back with the old valve cover gasket still on it. Not sure what they were thinking. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
End of work on Friday.
Saturday was a fun filled day of cleaning and more cleaning.
We got the carburetor off:
and set up on a bench.
You can read my 'how to set your float level' DIY carb repair thread somewhere in here. Old Fal and another buddy of his, Ed...they helped me set the floats. I actually never looked at the sight glass, instead relying on them for a good level. Guess it turned out OK because they had some pretty big smiles after the third adjustment.
Fal wouldn't let me take his picture. I think it's the Feds or something like that. Might be some hot chick looking for him; whatever. So don't tell him about this picture of him checking the ring end gap before we put the piston rings back on:
Working til about 3 am late Saturday night, and the bottom end was back into the car. Fal had a few questions along the way and I pretended to answer as I went along. Not sure how tight those connecting rod bolts got torqued...maybe 12 pounds? 14? Torque values are here on the site, but we didn't bother with internet access, even though he cleverly had it available in the office (ssssshhhhhh!!!)
As Saturday was closing, we stepped back and took a good look at the progress:
That's about it for Saturday.
Now we come to Sunday.
Ole Fal is getting nervous.
We don't have the engine very near to completion.
-no head
-no intake
-no exhaust manifold
-carb on the bench....
Why, he's got to get everything out of there by the next day!
And it was such a lovely day outside:
You could even see Mt. Hood out in the background!
To work or not to work?
So Sunday we decided to look under the hood and see if anything was missing.
Sure enough, there was this little piece:
Some yahoo in Canada had sent him a head, so we tried to fit it in.
Then we torqued it, adjusted the valves, installed all the rest of the gobbledy gook, and it ended up looking like this around 5 pm:
Like idiots, we had used a real thin coat of Ultra Gray on the pan and valve cover gaskets.
So we decided to head out to the local restaurant for a steak dinner and let that goop set up.
Then we came back, put in some dinosaur oil and some coolant and she fired up.
Adjusted the idle and that was that.
Ole Fal used to be a little challenged, but now he's our Teamswift MK1 guru. He knows more about them than...well.
Next he had to put a muffler on it, so we'll see if he's still alive and can add a bit to the tiny little bit that I wrote here.

Oh yeah, after it was running on its own, I picked up my tools and drove a couple days home to rest.

Engine temp is running a bit hot, so he'll either have to check the coolant level or blow $100 on a new radiator to protect his investment. Sure hope that head gasket holds. It was a Fel Pro, but had a few rust spots on it.
That's life.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:03 pm 

Sooo... that's how much that can get done when you have a lift, a shop, and a concrete floor...

Damned gravel and jack stands... :lol:

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:32 am 
Island Inbreeder

gamefoo21 wrote:
Sooo... that's how much that can get done when you have a lift, a shop, and a concrete floor...

Damned gravel and jack stands... :lol:

realy men prefer gavel,...jack stands.. maybe

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:39 am 

Come to think of it, that was no yahoo, the head was from
Suprf1y. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Looks like it had been shaved a bit. Hope the FelPro head gasket will hold up, but it was looking a little rusty when we pulled it out of the box. Maybe the box got wet a few months back?

Must be nice; new 3 Tech head, NPR rings, ACL rod bearings, FelPro seals and gaskets...in an MK1!!!...if I had Fal's money, I'd throw mine away.

Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:15 am 

So how's the power? Should be pretty good with the added compression, lift, and duration.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:34 am 

definite improvement .
Nice not to have to get out & push on the speed bumps , off ramps , cross currents from sparrows......
The hills ( country back road hills , 1000ft rise in 1/4 mile in one section of the ride home ) aren't slowing me down anymore .

Had a small oil leak when I checked from a trip to the flatlands & back but seems to have been a one time thing..knock on wood.
Swapped a little antifreeze in the overflow & now it is staying cool..small things add up .

Muffler was nice , I can hear myself think ...course beings Im thinking about how it sounds , now I have to concentrate ..

hmmmmm...
Don't tell Phil , but that is Mtn Adams in the background , Hood is in the other direction * chuckle*
sneakin pics behind my back.....

It was definitely nice to be able to use the shop , didn't hurt that the shop teacher's boy had JUST bought the red oil caked version of
the rat rig I am sure .
Hope they dont ask too much , I just really remember.. " use soylent green to clean parts...or was that simple green?"

I really do appreciate the clean engine compartment even more now after seeing the boy once he changed out the alternator last Friday..
Phil had stressed that when we first started talking , though I dont think he believed that I knew the difference between under the hood
washing the hood until he saw it for himself ..not that we didn't find a few grimy spots .

anyway.... so far so good...
just the small bugs to go through now but the little grey mouse is a lot better than it was a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:49 pm 

Well, Fal.
It's time for an update.
Still running hot?
Oil leaks?
C'mon, out with it!!!!
I heard your cylinder head got some special attention.
True or False?

...so many questions!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:36 pm 

Just wanted to bump this thread for a couple of reasons.
First, some of you have been PMing me about carb insulator gaskets.
You wanted a shot of what they look like, and which way they go.
Guess I'll give out all of my secrets.

You know you have the gaskets on correctly if they follow the 'bump' on the front of the insulator.
Here's a shot of the top gasket:
on the insulator.
As you can see, it doesn't have the half-moon shaped slot cut in it.
When we first pulled his carb off, there was a bottom gasket on both the top and bottom of the insulator.
I have 5 spare lower gaskets and they are $10 each. No, I am not kidding.
I'd love to send you one for $5, but I paid more than that EACH for them; that's how serious I am about carburetor leaks. I can't send you a needle valve and seat for $18, because I paid more than that for NEW ones, etc. etc.
Getting 50 mpg in an early Chevy Sprint? Expect to pay through the nose for carburetor parts; they don't grow on trees.

Next, I spoke with Fal last week, and (as usual) he's been busy busy busy.
So we'll just have to wait and see what's new with his 'fair weather' Sprint commuter car.
As far as I know, he's noticed an increase in gas mileage and horsepower.
I think he went from 29 (before we played with it) to 39 miles per gallon, and eventually he'll post some more current results using a full tank. Hopefully he'll hit the 50 mpg mark, but right now he's enjoying his lead foot.
His over heating problems were solved when he added the correct amount of coolant to the overflow tank (several burps).
No oil leaks, and no smoke so far also.
The fuel level in the sight glass on the side of the carburetor is holding steady at the half way mark, and the MCS that he bought from me...well that's anybody's guess.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Once you get one of these carburetors dialed in, it should be stable for a long time.
Last I heard, he doesn't have to touch the accelerator to get it to fire up in the morning.
:wink: :wink: :wink:

He really went out on a limb, buying an MCS from me and a fancy head with cam grind from Suprf1y. Hopefully his hard work will pay off in transportation performance, reliability and high mpg dividends for years to come.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:29 pm 

Just a quick update ..
still several things to tinker on but this time of the year between work & preppin the house in the hills for winter , it will have to wait until spring again .

I still have codes to check , carb to tinker down & it seems ( from the other night ) there is still a temp issue .
I got called back to work when I almost made it home . as I was sitting on the road , talkin on the phone , the gauge went into the upper 3/4 range ...

The car a couple weeks ago as I was pulling into one of the towns surged & died .. wasnt getting gas ..
nope , not sure why . Next day it was ok .. traced it back through the the lines up to & after the gas filter nothing there . next day it was back to normal .

Gas mielage since then has dropped to 38 , no lead foot , just dropped . been two tanks through it so far .
Very rough when it first starts , was just for a moment , now it is taking a bit longer to clear , then fine & dandy .
Still lots of power for the little thing some days more than others.. once again .. weird ..

all in all runs pretty great though , I know I have things ahead to play through , but as it will be going to bed for the most part for the next four months , I think it will be just fine .

Oil & anti freeze are holding & all is good cept the few noted probs .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:12 pm 

:lol:

Sounds like the fun I'm having with my '94 1.0... Just gotta love how much hair pulling it can cause... :lol:

Check your vaccuum lines. How old is the fuel filter?

Also just for shitties and giggles... Retorque the bolts holding the carb down. Also you may want to back off each of the head bolts and retorque them one at a time with the engine cold and the rad cap off. I did it three individual times and it wasn't until the third time that all the bolts were coming out with equal resistance to loosening. This is assuming you have the Suprfly headbolts.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah