TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:03 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:18 am 

And in preparation for the bigger tires, we figured bigger studs would be safer....

Here's one in....

We gained 0.6 oz per stud (1.4 oz vs 0.8 oz) but the 9.6 oz gain is well worth it to us.

Van

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:28 pm 

We're working on a height adjustable coilover for the front. Slowly but surely. Sorry no pics just yet. Will try and get around to that later. Just throwing the idea out there.

We're using MK1 VW struts because those take on koni inserts almost perfectly. We've got a couple different length double adjustable inserts to play with. The VW MK1 bottom strut bolt holes don't quite line up with the Sprint so that will take some fudging to work but it shouldn't be a big issue. With the top bolt hole lined up, the bottom one is only off by about half a hole.

The Koni piston rod is slightly thicker than the stock shock but that's nothing a little drilling of the upper mount can't fix.

Hopefully more updates soon.

Van

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:46 pm 

Oh and yesterday we also picked up a running '88 Sprint Metro as a spare parts car. We're gonna weigh it and see if it's worth our while to swap the engine over to it. The body on it is a little bit nicer than the turbo, looks less aged. And if it starts out around 50 lbs lighter then we're probably gonna go that route. If not, we'll probably just start weighing parts and swap out heavier for lighter.

Does anyone know if the turbo engine weighs more/less/same vs the carburated engine?

Thanks!
Van

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:05 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFy68MCqCPs

Those are 255/40/13 s on 13 by 10 wheels. To wide? We are not sure yet we hope to test some 8 inch wheels all around at some point.

The car really needs a LSD to put the power down. Hopefully changing the suspension a bit will help since it will take a while to get the LSD made and installed. Also hoping we have a 3.5x final drive transmission or two since right now the top of 2nd is a little low for some of our autocross courses.

Wondering if we can get a larger front bar made to help keep the car flat. We currently have 500lb springs up front and will expirement with more and less. We think something (shock?) was bottoming out so we raised the car between runs which helped but long term we would like to lower it quite a bit more.

We were about 3.3 seconds off of the pace of the fastest VW in our class driven by one of the best drivers in the country. He is also the reason we ended up with a turbo since he suggested it.

Oh the front has some double adjustible koni's with some custom top hats from pro parts that got us some negative camber and more caster. Rear suspension is still stock.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:18 pm 

And the view from the top of the car different run.
http://youtu.be/yHTiSyYG9qs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:27 pm 

The class we're building for doesn't allow gutting. We can strip certain trim pieces though which we've done. The rules do allow us to swap parts between any 85-87 sprint so we have been weighing various parts between our ER and our turbo.

Notice we have the recessed headlights instead of the composite ones standard on the turbo. Saved us 3 lbs of weight in front of the axle. Little things add up!

Radiator swap eventually. Gonna weigh the rear bench vs split seats. The turbo hatchlid is slightly different. Not sure if there is much weight to be lost but we'll check.

Still got to get the race seats installed and the 3 lb battery (vs 34 lbs for the current stock one). Once those are in, we should break under 1500lbs.

Van

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:22 pm 

So yeah, just making a bunch of updated posts for having not update for so long..

Since I mentioned we have a parts car, here is a pic of it alongside the racecar which I've dubbed the "tetanusmobile".

Van

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:22 pm 

Oh hello there, camber and caster! I don't believe you and Mr. Sprint have ever met?

Van

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:25 pm 

Not only do we now have ride height adjustability, 2-way Koni adjustability and camber and caster adjustability.....it weighs a couple ounces less than the stock spring and strut setup. Boom!

Unfortunately, we were bottoming out at our last event so we're gonna need to redo these so we can run it as low as possible and not bottom out. The temporary fix was to raise the ride height a few turns. We want the car as low as possible.

Van

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:28 pm 

Yes moar tire please....

Camber is bueno....

Van

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:04 pm 

Anyone happen to have a photo or one of these discontinued bars?

From an older post here

I noticed the front swaybar: BSF91 (24mm diameter), is listed as having adjustable castor ? is it worth it ?

I found this reference to the bushings affecting castor so maybe the same for the MK1 bar:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/articles/0403_P-WRX_4.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:54 am 

Vanimaniac wrote:
So yeah, just making a bunch of updated posts for having not update for so long..

Since I mentioned we have a parts
car parts here is a pic of it alongside the which I've dubbed the "tetanusmobile".

Van

Are you willing to sell some of these car parts or you just want to display them?

Last edited by Skelalda on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:39 am 
Teamswift Racer

Vanimaniac wrote:
Unfortunately, we were bottoming out at our last event so we're gonna need to redo these so we can run it as low as possible and not bottom out. The temporary fix was to raise the ride height a few turns. We want the car as low as possible.Van

Where are your bumpstops? they are supplied for a very good reason. do not ever bottom koni's out, especially double adjustables, the steel rebound rod is folded over the end of the piston rod and it smashes into the footvalve that controls compression, it leaves tell tale marks on both the valve and the rod, your agent will take a dim view of it and may jeopardize your warranty.
If need be trim 1' off the small end but they are really nice progressive bumpstops and many swift racers purposely run the cars to settle onto the bumpstops during cornering to effectively increase their springrate.

I think the adjustable strut top is robbing you of at least 1' of travel compared to a fixed strut top, of course you'll need to make it yourself.
Here's mine, about 420mm, check yours from the middle of the bottom hole to the mounting part of the strut top, it's this length minus your droop/sag that determines your ride height, can you mount the insert any lower in the housing, what about the holes in the tabs? the bump adjusters are almost touching the cv boots.
I think I have 125mm stroke, I run about 40mm of droop, 40mm bumpstops so that leaves me 45mm of shock travel which at that ride height equates to about 42mm of wheel travel before it starts to lean on the bumpstops which are tucked up inside the spring seat.

I tried some supersoft 235/45/13 v70a's last weekend, only on 7' wide rims, they definitely need 8's, turn in grip and feel was phenomenal.

Attachments:
Koni11.jpg
Koni11.jpg [ 76.69 KIB | Viewed 3836 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:27 am 

Dattman wrote:
Where are your bumpstops? they are supplied for a very good reason. do not ever bottom koni's out, especially double adjustables, the steel rebound rod is folded over the end of the piston rod and it smashes into the footvalve that controls compression, it leaves tell tale marks on both the valve and the rod, your agent will take a dim view of it and may jeopardize your warranty.
If need be trim 1' off the small end but they are really nice progressive bumpstops and many swift racers purposely run the cars to settle onto the bumpstops during cornering to effectively increase their springrate.

I think the adjustable strut top is robbing you of at least 1' of travel compared to a fixed strut top, of course you'll need to make it yourself.
Here's mine, about 420mm, check yours from the middle of the bottom hole to the mounting part of the strut top, it's this length minus your droop/sag that determines your ride height, can you mount the insert any lower in the housing, what about the holes in the tabs? the bump adjusters are almost touching the cv boots.
I think I have 125mm stroke, I run about 40mm of droop, 40mm bumpstops so that leaves me 45mm of shock travel which at that ride height equates to about 42mm of wheel travel before it starts to lean on the bumpstops which are tucked up inside the spring seat.

Thanks for the detailed explanation and photo! I will be measuring ours soon hopefully.

I do need to find and use the bump stops! We were told exactly what you said about bottoming out doubles so we hope we did not ruin them. We had to put over an inch spacer on top of the Koni to have it fit snug.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:29 am 

Noticed a bit of brake fluid on the ground. Thought I must not have tightened it after bleeding them. But that was not this issue. Not sure how the shoe on the left got off of the cylinder but it did. And it looks like the fluid was coming out of the shoe on the right side. Time for a major cleaning and repair.

Last edited by kreindl on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:10 pm 

Skelalda, whatcha looking for?

Van

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:41 pm 

Did some more fiddlin' around with the Tetanus Turbo today.

Got the lightweight Shorai battery installed. Cranked the car up no problems. The battery weighs in at a hefty 1 lb 15.8 oz!! The stock battery was around 34 lbs. We also lost over a pound swapping out battery cables and a few ounces by cutting down the size of the battery tray. I was gonna cut it down to size but we decided to leave it a little bigger in case we go back to a bigger battery in the future for some crazy reason....

To put the size of the battery in perspective....(sorry for bad phone pics)....

We also got the race seat installed. Can't remember the exact weights on it but we dropped about 8 and a half lbs from the stock seat and we kept the slider. Unfortunately it's pretty darn flimsy so we'll need to brace it a little better. This is a picture without the seat cover.

Right now the car is sitting around 1500 lbs with full interior still! Class rules don't allow stripping of the interior so we're dropping weight where we can.

Couple other issues we addressed were the rear brakes and the leaking brake fluid. Can anyone recommend a good shoe replacement? Or are they all basically the same? Napa, Vatozone, Checker, etc?

Thanks!
Van

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:51 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Vanimaniac wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good shoe replacement? Or are they all basically the same? Napa, Vatozone, Checker, etc? Thanks! Van

Meh, rear brakes don't do much, any thing will suffice.

Whats this (40mpg racing) business, I only get 9.5mpg in my swift :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:57 pm 

Dattman wrote:

Whats this (40mpg racing) business, I only get 9.5mpg in my swift :lol:

Haha, it was just to draw in more views. But we figured a few of the things we're doing (lightening the car) can benefit the large percentage of teamswifters who are more concerned with fuel economy. :)

Van

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:24 pm 

We can still drive the car to the events so 40 MPG is possible. Van did you weigh the license plate?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:36 pm 
Teamswift Racer

kreindl wrote:
We can still drive the car to the events so 40 MPG is possible.

yeah right, definitely not getting TO the event :lol: maybe on the way home when you're tired and more relaxed, besides with race tires, jack, toolbox and all the other stuff in the car you'll be fairly heavy :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:25 pm 

Good points, we may need a support vehicle to take all the race items and also so we can draft behind it. And maybe we can rig it for no boost to and from.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:04 pm 

Not so much of an update as is a bump to the top but we got the transmission out ready for the LSD to go in. Got our lightweight flywheel and clutch ready to go in as well. Also, while everything is out gonna swap the rebuilt turbo in. So not a "what we did update". More like a "what we're fixin to do" update. :)

Van

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:14 pm 

Awesome... looking forward to seeing your pictures! This car is a great inspiration to us fellow MK1 owners! :)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:00 pm 

Vanimaniac wrote:
Not so much of an update as is a bump to the top but we got the transmission out ready for the LSD to go in. Got our lightweight flywheel and clutch ready to go in as well. Also, while everything is out gonna swap the rebuilt turbo in. So not a "what we did update". More like a "what we're fixin to do" update. :)

Van

We ended up with a cusco LSD, once we get it in we will let people know if we have to shave any of the transmission case. It is a clutch type which means it should work even if we manage to get the inside wheel off the ground. I believe it is going to be a direct replacement.

Photos to come at some point. Planning to photo the crown gear as well since we have ER transmission we are looking for the higher final drive and would like to confirm it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next