TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:43 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:18 pm 

Last year close to this time We rebuilt my 85 Sprint. It was rebuilt with a kit bought from RPM, the gold kit $189 + Uncle sam. Which at the time came with oil pump, timing belt in timing belt tension pulley. Kit had, RINGS , PISTON ,GASKETS , Bearings ETC.. everything you need. Before this epic rebuild. It was leaking a little around the thermostat housing. Just enough you could smell a little sweet smell after a long run on a hot central valley summer day (100deg). So We did the rebuild, But I didn't replace the thermostat. Why wouldn't I replace it when I had this motor tore down? Well honestly I forgot. So After my better half drove the sprint to work Monday. She came home saying she ran the a/c in when she parked car, She could smell something sweet. So today I went to auto zone in picked up a 180deg thermostat $5, thermostat gasket $1.50, 50/50 antifreeze/coolant $8, In a new radiator fan switch $13.50. Stock thermostat is 190/192 I think. But I went with a 180. Why, because the heater in this car already is the best I've ever seen in a small car.. Also the new fan switch I got was set at 190. I don't want the thermo to open just as the fan kicks on. All these parts, came in at $28 (Very cheap). In I replaced the fan switch because it never really worked rite. Sometimes it would reach almost 205deg before the fan kicked in (not good). So Here are some pictures of the fix. 28 bucks of peace of mind. Took me 45 minutes to replace everything listed.

Attachments:
File comment: (tip) No need to dump all coolant, Just enough so it wasn't in top hose <saves money. (make sure no pets are around in dispose of it proper) Make sure to make sure you close it off after reaching desired level. (note to self)
Rad.JPG
Rad.JPG [ 548.55 KIB | Viewed 282 times ]
File comment: Picture of rad drain plug.
drain plug.JPG
drain plug.JPG [ 487.48 KIB | Viewed 282 times ]
File comment: Here is a picture of the old thermostat. A good tip is to leave the old thermostat in as you clean the old gasket off. That way it doesn't get down into the thermo housing.
old thermostat.JPG
old thermostat.JPG [ 489.8 KIB | Viewed 282 times ]
File comment: Make sure to clean the thermo housing cap for a good seal. I used a scrapper in sandpaper.
thermostat cap.JPG
thermostat cap.JPG [ 377.54 KIB | Viewed 282 times ]
File comment: Make sure you got it up ^. Gasket with seal up.
new thermo w gasket.JPG
new thermo w gasket.JPG [ 510.32 KIB | Viewed 282 times ]
File comment: Picture of old fan switch out of thermo housing cap.
old fan switch.JPG
old fan switch.JPG [ 465.26 KIB | Viewed 282 times ]
File comment: Make sure new fan switch has o-ring.
new fan switch.JPG
new fan switch.JPG [ 455.16 KIB | Viewed 282 times ]
File comment: Here I put the thermostat housing cap back on. (Tip) fill it up with coolant threw fan switch hole. That way you know you got coolant in the top of motor,less air in system.
thermo house.JPG
thermo house.JPG [ 287.82 KIB | Viewed 282 times ]
File comment: Install new fan switch.
New fan switch (2).JPG
New fan switch (2).JPG [ 510.19 KIB | Viewed 282 times ]
File comment: Fill rad back up. Leave cap off and run engine till it reaches temp. Check coolant level. Top off and re install rad cap.
PC173815.JPG
PC173815.JPG [ 502.84 KIB | Viewed 282 times ]

1985 chevy sprint 5speed 1.0 Mk1 (Blue). 1999 Geo metro 5speed 1.0 (Silver). 2003 XL-7 2.7l V6 AUTO (White). 2005 XL-7 2.7L V6 AUTO (Cobalt Blue). 1996 mercury cougar 4.6 auto (Goldish?). New to the family 1998 VW new Bettle 2.0 5speed (Black) Restord <--- (hers)<---- Gone to a new home. Replaced with 2003 Turbo 1.8T 6speed (black) ... In One 1986 chevy sprint ER (White) In line for a restore <---None runner <---(parts). Thats 7... So I'm under a hood alot... Why? Kuzz we love cars!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:45 pm 

Here is the link to the rebuild kit we used to rebuild 85 mk1 sprint. http://www.rpmmachine.com/shop/index.ph ... ail&p=4451 . I hope I didn't break any rules by posting out side link. If I did please let me now In I'll DELETE ASAP...

1985 chevy sprint 5speed 1.0 Mk1 (Blue). 1999 Geo metro 5speed 1.0 (Silver). 2003 XL-7 2.7l V6 AUTO (White). 2005 XL-7 2.7L V6 AUTO (Cobalt Blue). 1996 mercury cougar 4.6 auto (Goldish?). New to the family 1998 VW new Bettle 2.0 5speed (Black) Restord <--- (hers)<---- Gone to a new home. Replaced with 2003 Turbo 1.8T 6speed (black) ... In One 1986 chevy sprint ER (White) In line for a restore <---None runner <---(parts). Thats 7... So I'm under a hood alot... Why? Kuzz we love cars!