TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:10 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:04 am 

Okay so this morning I went out for a spin and decided to give her the beans... Well everything is stock fuel and pressure wise but she builds to 9psi real quick, then at WOT she spikes to 15psi! This of course gave me knock and the check engine light kicked on for a sec. But what the hell? haha, I mean I am fine with the extra pressure, just I dont have enough fuel going its way... Looks like a trip to the junk yard looking for a mark 1 mr2 today. Should be fun.

Let me know what you think.

onepointO
Nate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:07 am 

Well this is fun... So yesterday I finish buttoning up the sprint. Took all of 2 minutes. And I go and pick up my younger brother. We are having a blast zipping around in the sprint when down the parkway the car temp starts climbing... So I get us off the next light and pull up to a 7-11. Well the coolant return line on the turbo has a hole the size of a pencil point. yay... So we just sit there and let it drain out. Thats when we realized what went wrong. So we loaded up on water and made it all the way back home. We patched everything up and it was golden again. The day was quite good.

Forward to this morning [4-14-12], So I decide to take the Sprint 30 minutes up the road for work. Start off cars running beautifully. Get to about mile marker 2, and BAM! DING! SMOKE.... I pull over immediately and shut the car off. I look under the rear of the car thinking something happened back there.... Then I glance forward and oil... everywhere. Pouring out of the place its meant to periodically pour from. [oil drain plug]. And speaking of which, that "BAM! DING!" noise I heard was the oil drain plug popping out and against the road at 70mph... I flag down a gentleman who was quite nice. We looked for the odp* and we finally found it. So I popped the plug back in, the guy helping me had a set of sockets luckily, and offered to take me to the auto parts store just minutes away. So I bought more oil and I forgot to mention that during this awesome turn of events I locked the keys in the car, but advanced auto parts lent me a slim jim. So once back to the car, I filled it back with oil, made sure everything was TIGHT. And off I went.

Before I put the odp* back in the car though i did notice that the copper crush washer needs to be replaced. But at the moments its not budging... I was an late to work too not to mention. But got away with it...

Any way that was my morning. Oh and now the clutch is slipping, which I expected soon enough, and the motors making a squeeky bird sound here and there. Well im done for today...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:10 pm 

Dorman Part number 65269

Use this instead.
Even if the oil drain plug isn't tight, it won't leak and the rubber keeps the oil drain plug from vibrating out.

$2 or so.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:39 pm 

picked one up. will install tonight. Oh and the squeaking appears to be coming from the alternator belt... but the alternator is dead so doesn't bother me. Than and I am sending out for my warranty replacement tonight so no big deal. Hopefully today should go better from here on out.

the joys of having a 25 year old car. :wink:

onepointO
Nate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:04 pm 

I put one in finger tight...well, a little bit tighter than finger tight.
A week later I happened to check it. :oops:
You get it a hurry; it happens.
Those 'rubberized' washers saved the day.

Next time you change your oil, use 5W-30.
Our Turbo Sprint does well with Mobil 1.

Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:16 pm 

Yeah, I know what you mean. And I am currently using 5w-30. Not mobil 1 though... but next time I will have to try it.

Thanks man,

Nate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:30 am 

Okay so took my sprint on its maiden voyage into work today. All the excitement included the hour and a half drive early in the morning with mixed highway driving.

The car drove quite good. But I babied it. The clutch is on its way out and will slip in 5th if I give it enough GO juice, the rear drums need to be completely replaced as they are constantly grinding away. And the axles need to be replaced because of the CVs are shot.

After pricing out some things on RockAuto.com I came to $455 and change. Thats after shipping. So theres a bill. haha, and then I will be picking myself up a 85-90 mr2 MAF from somewhere to help out with this 15psi my car has decided its wants to run all of a sudden, which personally I am fine with, I just want more fuel to suppliment it. Not being able to give it the beans past 4k sucks... haha. But the clutch is slipping so I am safe from any tempting hard pulls...

And speaking of clutch, I am ordering a Exedy clutch kit. And from what I have seen they do pretty well. I dont know after stock boost. But we will see. And if anything I can always get a better clamping pressure plate or just order a ACT clutch and see how that works. All I know is that I forgot how much torque the turbo 3 builds at low to mid rpm...

Another thing I forgot is the looks I get going down the road. haha. So great. I have people pulling a head of me to then see a bowtie on the front and get real confused because most people think its a old honda or something... Even then there wrong though, suzuki motor corp of japan... silly people.

Any way, so just an update. I think I will be posting a video of the little guy running soon.

onepointO
Nate

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:45 am 

It's always nice to get started with a shiny, rust free car. Makes things so much easier! And you don't have to spend $5000 on paint/body work. Should be a nice one.

low mile 90 firefly 3 cylinder/auto 4 door

beat to hell 89 GTi

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:37 pm 

you're boosting 15 psi all of a sudden? don't you think the wastegate could be seized?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:25 pm 

Phil N Ed wrote:
Dorman Part number 65269

Use this instead.
Even if the oil drain plug isn't tight, it won't leak and the rubber keeps the oil drain plug from vibrating out.

$2 or so.

Update on the part number.
Give DORMAN Part # 097025
a try.
$1 each at rockauto.com.
Here is one installed on an MK1 NA:
I reuse mine if the rubber isn't screwed up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:39 am 

Part number 65269
still good, but they are charging an arm and a leg at O'Reilly Auto Parts for one.
($4.00)
:blackeye:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:30 pm 

Any parts you need? I have a white one on the west coast and can pop some small stuff off of it $0 and give to you for shipping only- I do have all the back seat stuff in the right color I believe. No engine or electronics stuff available.