TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:19 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:47 am 

Bot this car a couple years ago and did some minor stuff to get it road worthy.

It has 125k on it and was in exceptional, unmolested shape.

However, it was not driven for 17 years - only started rarely to move around garage. Last 3-5 years sat outside.

Had to replace the heater hoses - found a Carquest molded hose that was a perfect fit for the NLA one.

I'm in the process of getting a timing belt kit w/seals but SHOULD I do the water pump at this time?

And am thinking about:
*) bottom radiator hose (carry a spare)
*) turbo coolant line? (new to me, sounds like a must do)

The trip will put about 2500 miles on it. I've probably put about 1000 on it so far without any issues...

Other than the fan belt loosening - new rebuilt alternator, however, with such close pulleys, alignment is hyper critical and a ROYAL PITA. I have a high quality Gates belt on it and it still loosened up after a couple tanks of gas.

Are there any tricks to get the alignment/wear solved?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:05 pm 

Why did you post it 4 times?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:43 pm 

My 64 bit FF and quad core super fast computer suddenly got slow as molasses. Perhaps when using the Back key?

What seems to be going on is that when I post, it proceeds but never refreshes the page - it stays blank. I REFRESH and I think that posted again.

Still doing it. WTF...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:45 am 

It's not your computer, I'm getting that too.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:14 pm 

If you haven't yet I'd change your tranny fluid. I used valvoline synchromesh and it made my n/a shift like butter despite the terrifieng debris that came out when I drained it. Run a few cans on seafoam through your tank during your journey if you didn't drop and drain the tank. I make 200 mile road trips every other week in my n/a and keep a few things in a bag in the hatch. Including a spare v belt timing belt plug wires distributer cap clutch disc some assorted vaccume and coolant lines and 2 bottles of trans fluid(all used but known good). It all fits in a reusable Fred Meyer bag. Check your CV boots and brakes tune her up and hit the highway.

As far as alignment of your pulleys that's interesting. When you say new rebuilt do you mean you took the alt to a shop and had them rewind it or do you buy a reman alt from the parts store? If it's a new reman alt check that the pulley is the same size and is a far onto the shaft as the old one I've run into that issue on other vehicles before. Did you remove the bracketry when you pulled the alt? Perhaps something has a washer on the wrong side got bent or is backwards? I was able to change a v belt at the lake when my fishing trip got rained out and only used a crescent wrench the sucker hasn't come loose yet in about 750 miles.

Water pump is simple enough it wouldn't hurt but I haven't had one fail me on one of these cars. 1,000 miles is allot in a single trip so better safe than sorry.

Good luck in your road trip cross country pictures of your beauty is a must :mrgreen:

1978 Chevy monza 2+2, 74 step side Chevy, firebird,firebird,fake 91 firehawk in the making,trans am(dd),other trans am, n/a mk1 sprint, and my baby 1987 Chevy sprint turbo in red. How many run right now? Just the n/a sprint. It's not a collection it's my retirement plan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:17 pm 

Trip in 2 days. Replaced:

front brake pads & clips
timing belt & tensioner
timing cover (available from NAPA - mine swelled from decade old oil leak exposure and pulley wore through it)
water pump
all coolant hoses
oil change (Wix XP Extended Performance designed for Full Synthetic Oils 51348XP - $5+ @ Rock Auto)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:44 pm 

My word thank you I've been to hell and back looking for one of those covers that wasn't worn through. :cheers:

Good luck on your trip.

1978 Chevy monza 2+2, 74 step side Chevy, firebird,firebird,fake 91 firehawk in the making,trans am(dd),other trans am, n/a mk1 sprint, and my baby 1987 Chevy sprint turbo in red. How many run right now? Just the n/a sprint. It's not a collection it's my retirement plan.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:32 am 

Ya, always check ALL the sources for parts.

I'm pretty lucky too. NAPA was on he other side of the next town - a PITA to get to. Now they are opening one in my town maybe 5 min from where I live (!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:31 pm 

I'm in Jeannette, PA 15644