TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:32 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic bumper.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:34 am 

hi guys,

im new here but ive been reading a lot on here and Ecomodders about the crazy lengths you guys go to for maximum MPG...

i like some of the aerodynamics mods that are being done such as the grill block but im worried about my engine temps as it gets quite hot where i live, would it be beneficial to block the half of my grill that doesn't allow flow to the radiator or does it only work if you block the whole grill off?

here is a pic of my Barina, the numberplate is over the section that i would be blocking off, probably to the center of the car, id want to leave the other side open, do you guys think its worthwhile?

today i also cut the bottom lip of my rear bumper off for (hopefully) better flow as i noticed it looks almost like a parachute on the back of the car lol, im yet to install it as i want to do an A-B comparison to see if it reduces drag noticably:

are there any other easy mods that i could do to improve aerodynamics without affecting the looks of the car too much? (i dont think police around here would look too kindly on a full skirt or a boat tail lol)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:20 pm 

I did a half grill block and a full bumper block. no temp problems yet but with summer approching i am going to watch my temp.

Attachments:
2012-04-12 17.54.38.jpg
2012-04-12 17.54.38.jpg [ 661.04 KIB | Viewed 1446 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:26 pm 

If you can loose the right side mirror. i had a hard time doing this myself. i even said i wouldn't do it. but the mpg quest pushed me passed that. rear wheel skirts. dought the cops would care.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:25 am 

ive done a test block on mine now, for the top half and indicator recesses (ive rewired the corner lamps to act as indicators) i just used some cardboard with clear packing tape over, and for the bottom grill i just used multiple layers of the clear packing tape to retain the foglights:

i also bent my numberplate a little to follow the bumper better and taped around it too:

yet to do any tests to see how it affected aero or mileage but it feels a bit less draggy at higher speeds (might be placebo effect though)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:39 am 

That clear tape gave me an idea. If that mod would be for long term, molding a clear plastic cover would look awesome and do the job great.

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:26 pm 

why the hell are u using wraping tape just go buy some tiger hair n just fiberglass it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:32 pm 

the tape is just a test to see if/how much of a difference it makes, theres no point spending time and money on fiberglass if it doesnt work... once ive confirmed that this works i will redo it in fiberglass with clear acrylic windows for the fog lights and paint it all up so it looks nice :)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:40 am 

This made a large improvement in my mileage. About 4 mpg.

Removing the passenger mirror improved mileage by approx 2 mpg.

Another improvement although not aerodynamic is a must do IMO. Add a vacuum gauge. Mine is large, prominent and easy to read. These three mods alone brought me from 67 mpg IMP to about 75 mpg IMP.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:06 am 

good effort! i like that front bumper/air dam extension thing, looks great

heres where i put my vacuum guage, a lil more stealthy than yours but still easily readable (you cna also see the digital temp guage in there as the factory one was covered by the vacuum):

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:26 pm 

Clark...
how are u getting thoase numbers?! Is ur car an xfi? I cant break out of the low to mid 40s. In town or on the freeway. Is it all throttle control? Do u ever drive over 65mph?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:29 am 

There are 5 quarts in an Imperial gallon. It is a math thing.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:04 pm 

Gotya.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:45 am 

nixmixin wrote:
Clark...
how are u getting thoase numbers?! Is ur car an xfi? I cant break out of the low to mid 40s. In town or on the freeway. Is it all throttle control? Do u ever drive over 65mph?

It is still 62 mpg U.S. Not an xfi. 3tech econo cam @ 6 degrees advance. 4.10 trans. I rarely drive over 100km/h (61-62 mph) Tires @ 45psi. That being said, I am now doing a two full tank test driving at 110 km/h (67-68mph) to see how much my mileage drops by. At halfway through the first tank it looks like the effect is not as bad as I thought it would be.

If you do not have a vacuum gauge get one asap. It teaches you how to drive economically.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:48 am 

bobo333 wrote:
good effort! i like that front bumper/air dam extension thing, looks great

heres where i put my vacuum guage, a lil more stealthy than yours but still easily readable (you cna also see the digital temp guage in there as the factory one was covered by the vacuum):

Nice install. The digital temp gauge looks like it belongs there. Nice steering wheel.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:33 pm 
banned and still posting

clarkdw wrote:
Nice steering wheel.

except that it's on the wrong side. :-P

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:48 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:
clarkdw wrote:
Nice steering wheel.

except that it's on the wrong side. :-P

It's on the "right" side :lol:

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:14 am 

clarkdw wrote:
nixmixin wrote:
Clark...

It is still 62 mpg U.S. Not an xfi. 3tech econo cam @ 6 degrees advance. 4.10 trans. I rarely drive over 100km/h (61-62 mph) Tires @ 45psi. That being said, I am now doing a two full tank test driving at 110 km/h (67-68mph) to see how much my mileage drops by. At halfway through the first tank it looks like the effect is not as bad as I thought it would be.

If you do not have a vacuum gauge get one asap. It teaches you how to drive economically.

What i find odd about this theory is that an ICE is more efficient when being driven at lowest possible revs with as much throttle as possible. I cant remember the article i read, but it was written by the guys who have a 2.3L/100km Honda insight, which is factory 3.9L/100km They state that a vaccum gauge is a good idea but instead of driving at most vaccum, drive at lower rpms with as little vaccum as possible. Using the pulse and glide practice and a almost positive pressure intake (pre afm - custom made) they have dipped under 3L/100km.

Is this what you mean when you say drive economically?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:59 am 

ive now done a half bumper like CLARKDW since in QLD - AUstralia temps range from -5 to 40degrees C. I want something practical all year round. Im like a surgeon with an angle grinder, and using a 1mm cutting disc, cut a slot on the underside of the stock bumper where the number plate usually attaches. this goes from the foggie on the drivers side to 50mm past the bumber centre line. I then used some 1mm ABS garden bend edging material i had left over to slot into the slot i made. its 150mm wide and about 750mm long. It goes from the underside of the flat top bumper section to the very base lip. Then using some coarse screws removed from the car when i stripped all unneccessary weight screwed it to the front bumper from the outside. i have a black gti so the black abs matches pretty well. I am going to make a bumper down the track but i want to make the style first to see if im happy with it then get a professional to do the real deal. This will also reduce weight of the end product. I currentl dip over 14km/L with 75% @ 90-100km/hr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:09 pm 

Sorry about the late reply. I get here rarely. Driving economically to me is getting where I want to go in a reasonable time without having to resort to extraordinary measures like hypermiling at the minimum possible cost in fuel.

I am able to get as high as 3.75L/100km, 26.5 km/L without pulse and glide or coasting of any kind. The vacuum gauge lets me take the best advantage of the 3Tech econo cam, advance sprocket and the aero mods. My only concession to get that high is to limit my speed to about 100km/h. In the last month or so my goal has changed somewhat. I have now reduced my commute time by about 20-25 minutes per day by increasing my speed to above 115 km/h. My goal now is 70mpg Imperial @ 70mph. I am able to maintain that. That is 3.9x L/100km or 25.6 km/L.

Looking forward to pics of your mods.