TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 4:33 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Oxygen Sensor for G10
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:18 pm 

I just installed a new Oxygen Sensor in my 1990 Metro LSi convertible today.

They are about $10 shipped from several different vendors on Amazon.com for anything with a G10 motor. Unheated O2 sensors (for older cars) are super-cheap. Probably the price of about 3/4 of a tank of gas depending on where you live.

My 'vert has about 124K (miles) on the odometer. The sensor was heavily oxidized.

I'll post any mileage differences here in about a week. If I get a 1-2 MPG gain I'll have it paid for in less than a couple of months.

Just food for thought. I just about crapped when I looked at the price of these things. As a comparison, it cost me about $90 for a new one for my '93 Accord late last year. Might be a slam-dunk investment for anyone. 7/8" wrench is all you need to install it, and you might need to remove the oil filter to get at it, but other than that....easy as pie.

Die-hards and ground-up restorers and ecomodders forgive me for the obviousness of this post; but wow, what a cheap and easy maintenance item!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:43 am 

Good post!! They have some pretty good deals on car stuff.

1997 VW GTI VR6 Turbo--dead as a door nail
1994 GEO METRO 1.0 xfi (retired and parted out)
1989 Suzuki Swift GTi (sold)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:13 am 

damn .....note to those in WI I have a frined that drives semi for Oreilly auto parts. I get parts at his cost most stuff is 50% off list price. Just have to pay cash for parts.

94 GEO METRO PARTS FOR SALE EVERYTHING MUST GO!!!!
94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:03 pm 

Results are in after about 2 tanks worth of driving. Took a long trip on Sunday with my girlfriend.

Mileage went from 35 average city+hwy up to 40.

Best $14.33 shipped I've spent in a while. Highly recommend for cars that have a more than a few miles on them. While I realize my little G10 can do even better I am pleased as punch I got this improvement. Also seems to accelerate a little smoother, though the leaner mixture may have actually hurt my power.

On a related note, anybody ever try the Mothball/WD40 mixture in a MKI/MKII? I'm referring to this:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot ... age-3.html

I have the mixture which has been fermenting in a bottle on top of the refrigerator for months, but I'm too chicken to try it.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:48 pm 

My 132K miles G10 seems to be getting better mielage after this past winter. I dunno maybe its finally breaking in?????? Last tank was 53-56MPG which I have never been able to achieve. I'll see if it duplicates it this tank. I currently have 350 miles on the tank and well over a 1/4 tank so I should be about where i need to be.

94 GEO METRO PARTS FOR SALE EVERYTHING MUST GO!!!!
94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:31 pm 

I just changed my 02 sensor today. Took awhile to get it off, it was really frozen on there. I used a long pipe to get extra leverage on the ratchet, and found that it's really easy to get access to the area when the car does not have A/C because you can just remove the blank plate from the radiator support and have a nice big opening to work through! 8)

My check engine light had been blinking a code 13 and after changing the sensor it went off. Engine seems to run smoother now! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:00 pm 

easy way to get O2's off? wait till after your commute to work and its nice and hot.

will come off like butter. will also sear you hand nicely so be careful :-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:58 pm 

i use a impact socket (7/8), that has a slit in the wall i think its originally for oil pressure sensors. put it on the impact and i'm good to go.
put it back in by a hand ratchet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:14 pm 

I have learned the hard way that I will never remove an exposed bolt on my metro without first applying HEAT. as much as the part can take.

too many snapped broken bolts. so many of them are just so tiny so small so thin. Since I started heating them up first I have yet to snap another one :-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:50 pm 

The old non heated 02 sensors often had replacement intervals of 45-60k miles. More frequently if you are maybe a slight oil burner. That being said, it is wise to coat the threads with nickel antisieze, it sure makes getting it out next time a lot easier.

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2016 Outback, 06 Expedition, 87 Porsche 911, 87 Turbo sprint, 82 Brat, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Honda Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.