TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:15 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SUMMER IS COMING!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:23 pm 

The days are getting warmer even in Calgary. My white Vert is up on stands in the garage with the old drive train out. I have swapped the complete wiring harness over from the 1.3 SOHC donar car and just have to finish connecting up a few items before putting the dash back in. Next comes moving the drivers side motor mount forward and dropping the new 1.3 drive train in. We had the coldest winter since 1956 this year so I didn't spend much time out in the garage. I hope to have her up and running by the 2nd week in April so that I can get some top down time.

My blue Vert auto is running much better since I did a T-Belt and water pump. The T-Belt was out a cog or two. Now it runs like it should. I will be welding in new rockers and then painting the whole car. I have a set of Side Skirt to go on and Alloy Wheels with 175/sr/70-13" tires to bolt on. I will post some photos when I get them both finished up. :D :D :roll: :shock: :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:16 pm 

Just the opposite of us.
The wife uses the A/C on the way home from work, and has for weeks.
As the temps rise, we are planning on pulling our 'vert' off the road. It's just too hot for that little rag top.
Those that overwintered down here are beginning to plan their escape back up North, and right now the desert wildflowers blanket the desert floor. Pretty nice weather, except the 90s (F) during the middle of the day.
Post some pictures of your progress.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:37 pm 

sounds like you're doing the same thing I am :P you've posted in my thread I think anyways.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:43 am 

I'd love to see them thar those desert wildflowers!
Vanilla Latte is still snoring in the barn. I have her battery all charged up. She is now sporting a stock turbo engine that I did enjoy last summer. Before going into hibernation I had a pro do a compound on her. The previous first owner had washed her with VIM for crying out loud. Hand polish to regain some shine was tedious. It's still the original paint, except for the hood of course.
She is now complete and to my liking. (new blue canvas top, wood steering wheel, GT dash still a square but with the quite rare small stalks.....Gt seats....I like her and now she MOVES)
I'm sorry to have hijacked, but both of you I consider friends, one in the hot and one in the cold.....

Another project tickles my cojones......
I bought a Triumph Spitfire, a real sports car, good for swaying around in parking lots. 4th gear gets me to 65 miles an hour and revs are 4200! This cannot do. It's in very good condition unfortunately. I did put money in it though: weber with appropriate new intake, Corvette rear shocks, GT6 rear diff with lower ratio.....and other things. BUT, I'm going the Suzuki DOHC route. I located an engine and a Samurai tranny. I'm going to swap. Yes. Friends have parts that are going to help me: level oil pan, probably the exhaust and other necessities. I'll be going from 1500cc to 1300 but the weights are about the same. Any advice?
Wish me success. I'm getting the parts it for now, probably will use it as is this summer. The good thing about global warming is that we will be able to use these cars for a longer period ! Probably a full 5 months within a 200 year time frame. I can't wait.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:30 am 
Suzuki Elder

frederick,

my condolences for your "spitball" project. :lol: having successfully shed my need to hammer on british cars, i'm in anticipation of all your pain. :-P

regardless of the difference in displacement, IMHO, the twincam 16 valve will be a much better engine than the bmc mill and will provide better performance.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:43 am 

Thank you very much for this....euh...encouragement.

Please enlighten me to the meaning of: IMHO.
Does it suggest: I must however observe?
or is it: India, Most holy outpost (for the English)..
or perhaps: I must host Obama?

Others come to mind...I was brought up in an english school by a french speaking family who dabbled in Greek and Spanish when "private adult discussions" were held. So please excuse my ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:35 pm 

When ever I think of all the Brit-*hit I've owned 2 things spring to mind.....1). The smell of musty Leather....2). The smell of Burnt Wiring as the lights go dimmer and dimmer. :D :D :shock: :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:09 pm 

In My Humble Opinion :|

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:07 am 

Well....
I do declare....
In my humble opinion......I would have never guessed....but then again the message was written in uppity case letters.
Thanks Hillbilly!
By the way I just came back from the QuebecSwift club March supper. A fine bunch of guys.

Couldn't understand any of the megasquirt/turbo/laptop talk.
For heavens sake guys, fried chicken, ribs and laptops don't mix!

Then we moved on to the head huncho's garage......DOHC motors stacked two high all along the wall.
6 cars are being worked on by friends. Complete remakes down to bare metal and rust protection goo applied to fresh bodies. The smell of paint in the air. Cars being turned out ,mostly Mark 2's, better than original....
Verts being fitted DOHC WITH turbos.....BIG turbos....front wheel disc brakes filling in the complete wheel......and the talk.....I just had to leave. Two hours gave me enough of a headache that only the picture of a Baker electric can quench.

Only a few inches of snow left on the north side of the streets in Montreal...In the country maple sap is boiling heartily. In a few days no more snow anywhere, then...the miracle of summer for at least three weeks, just enough time for some kamikaze flies to try and destroy our pristine windshields.....a few more days and
cold winds will blow in from the west...snowflakes will happen, before you can say: fill'er up.......all white again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:55 am 
Suzuki Elder

Manutea wrote:
Please enlighten me to the meaning of: IMHO.

In My Humble Opinion :lol:

ahh, the lost and unrecoverable days of my youth when i had rows of british automotive marvels moldering at the back of the property. i was lucky to have any one of them on the road, if even for a short trip. i recall the wonders of unsynchronized first gears, electrical gremlins abounding, carpets shrunken into balls of yarn covering jute pads that reeked of mildew.

i can't really say i miss being doused by water from the boot bodywork as it shot the interstice between the snapped on top onto my neck and shoulders every time i popped a rusty brakeline while trying to apply the brakes. i got used to re-tuning for each change of the seasons and refilling the empty vacuum well on the carb with motor oil. the british motor corp cars were bad enough, but then i felt moved to increase my misery by taking on the rootes group cars before moving on to the jensens and jags.

it reminds me of the old adage of how good you feel when you stop banging your head against the brick wall. :-P

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:42 pm 

What the heck....we got a foot and a half of that white stuff last night. Just when I could see the grass showing now everything is white. I did have the top down on Friday (the Blue auto) as it was blue sky as far as you could see and plus 17 degrees out. I'm getting cabin fever here in Calgary. :D :D :shock: :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:45 pm 

Plus 17........
I remember that.
We took off our tuques and picked up broken hockey sticks around the rinks.It did happen......I was Snoopy-ing in My MG TD then... (Snoopy-ing: wearing a leather aviator helmet and a nice long white scarf....trying to pick up long legged, cotton dressed girls.....It worked!)

aaaaah...plus 17....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:53 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i'm really getting the "itch." after they moved the clocks back, i watch the sun in the morning. when it starts to pop over the horizon while i'm doing the morning commute, ol' blue will be on the road with the top down. :D

i don't really care if it's 40 degrees out on my way in, i turn up the heat and pull up my hoodie. as long as the winter salt has been flushed away by spring rain, i'm good to go.

i'm thinking another week and i'm busting out the turbo3 vert for the season. :yeahyeah

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:47 pm 

Richard.....What's with the beautiful White and Blue Twin Cam Vert up for sale? Oh well you still have O'le Blue....ring, ring, ring. Damn we are getting another 20 cm's of snow tonight here in Calgary. :D :D :shock: :shock: :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:17 pm 

Phil N Ed wrote:
Just the opposite of us.
The wife uses the A/C on the way home from work, and has for weeks.
As the temps rise, we are planning on pulling our 'vert' off the road. It's just too hot for that little rag top.
Those that overwintered down here are beginning to plan their escape back up North, and right now the desert wildflowers blanket the desert floor. Pretty nice weather, except the 90s (F) during the middle of the day.
Post some pictures of your progress.

Yeah, I guess it's here:
anybody with any sense has already left town.
Even up here, 1700 feet above Palm Springs it gets a bit warm, eh?
Nice weather for snakes and lizards, though.
A 30 minute drive up into the local mountains will give you some 68F/20C afternoons, otherwise it's best to stay indoors til early evening.
Let's see those pictures of the blue and white!

Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:37 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the weather in central ohio has been in the mid 80s with blue skies and summer days and we're at our peak vert season. we catch an occasional rainy day, enough to keep the rivers flowing and the lakes full.

ol' blue has been a joy. it has a really nice sound system, but a lot of times i keep it off and just enjoy the exhaust note, the sound of the induction inhaling, and the whine of the little turbo. in the morning when the air is cooler, 60s, the turbo is very responsive and the 3 banger pulls the grades with authority on my drive to work.

by the end of the july and into august when we get into the 90s it's on the blistering side of vert season, but i'm a pro having had various convertible cars for over 30 years. some people love them. i can't see myself ever being without one, especially since my bad shoulder has pretty much ended my motorcycle riding days.

phil, that thermometer is scary. :twisted:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:03 am 

We have had one of the worst summers that I can rememberhere in Calgary. The Stampede saw the most days of rain in over 20 years. Rain....Rain....Rain....and Rain. Not much fun if your a sun basker and lets face it last winter was our coldest on record since 1956. I start work at 5:00 AM and finish at 2:30PM. The rain usually starts coming down at 2:15PM, dooooooooe.

I can remember when I raced my TZ250 at Nelson Ledges it never rained when ever I was in Ohio. Miss those days of youth, now if I was to come off a bike I'd shatter like an egg. SWMBO says no more motorcycles for you. :D :D :shock: :shock: :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:22 pm 
Suzuki Elder

my SWMBO is a dyed in the wool iron butt harley big twin pilot. she tells me that you don't get too old to ride, you get old because you don't ride. we sold my fatboy and her road king after fiona was born, i kept the buell and it sits in the garage. the forward riding position of that sport bike does my shoulder in quickly. the last tag on it was in 2003.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:22 am 

Summer finally Came to Calgary:

Yesterday...NO Rain, got the White Vert out for an evening run. With the dash back in things are starting to look normal again sort of. Need to put the stereo back in so I can play my Joe Walsh CD's and some Eagles. May take a run out to Ghost Lake tomorrow.

Awe...Richard, I miss the sweet smell of freshly burnt Castrol "R" in the morning air. You are right I always felt like I was 18 again when we had a few of the kids motorcycles parked in our garage to play with. :D :D :shock: :shock: :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:42 pm 

Larry S. Oxenham wrote:

Yesterday...NO Rain, got the White Vert out for an evening run. With the dash back in things are starting to look normal again sort of. Need to put the stereo back in so I can play my Joe Walsh CD's and some Eagles. May take a run out to Ghost Lake tomorrow.

Awe...Richard, I miss the sweet smell of freshly burnt Castrol "R" in the morning air. You are right I always felt like I was 18 again when we had a few of the kids motorcycles parked in our garage to play with. :D :D :shock: :shock: :oops:

From Red Deer to Orlando, here's a good one...

Summer brings out the little bugs in the desert.
Last night, I was cleaning off my work bench and had a little visitor:

first time I'd seen one in quite a while.

Any idea what it is?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:50 pm 

Phil N Ed wrote:
Larry S. Oxenham wrote:

From Red Deer to Orlando, here's a good one...

Summer brings out the little bugs in the desert.
Last night, I was cleaning off my work bench and had a little visitor:

first time I'd seen one in quite a while.

Any idea what it is?

Camel spider
Never seen them alive(and thats a thing i want to keep that way :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:28 pm 

Yes, camel spiders, but out here, we call them wind scorpions.
Relax, my friend, they aren't 'venomous'.
The "Horror Movies" blow them up to large proportions.

You can read about them here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae

I leave them alone, they eat some insects which are a pain (cockroaches, for example).

Over the years, I'm sure many of our contributors have been working on their backs next to some pretty interesting critters...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:18 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:
my SWMBO is a dyed in the wool iron butt harley big twin pilot. she tells me that you don't get too old to ride, you get old because you don't ride. we sold my fatboy and her road king after fiona was born, i kept the buell and it sits in the garage. the forward riding position of that sport bike does my shoulder in quickly. the last tag on it was in 2003.

Oh yes... I can attest to that work of mechanical art.... sitting there rotting in the garage...The reason yur shoulder gets sore is you are going too slow!. get the mph up, the air pressure on your chest takes the weight off of your arms....

well, thats the excuse you can give the state trooper....
All this talk about seasonal cars... I am running the vert to work every day here and its the middle of winter...
Mind you, thats just cos I need to do the rear bearings in the awd...
Well winter can wait, I am off to Vienna for a week or two soon with the missus. Some of us just can't wait for summer...

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:36 am 

Winter is coming.
Turn your clocks back one hour in North America (excluding Arizona, of course!)

I sure got a kick reading about the 80 degree weather in Ohio.
It's in the mid 80s here from November til mid December.

Jumping Jack Frost is on his way, boys.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:30 am 
Suzuki Elder

we actually had a nice fall day yesterday with 69 degree f temps and partly sunny skies.

i spent about 5 hours outside strightening up in the garage, bolting a few little powder coated bits on the red vert, and getting some last minute prep work in on the white gt.

i replaced the rows of bolts along the tops of the fenders with stainless steel hex bolts and flat washers, drilling out 3 of the 8 factory bolts that were snapped off due to having been "rust welded."

the white gt has the usual rust hole at the top of the right wheel well that lets water from the tire shoot stright up onto the air filter and into the engine bay. i don't have time to weld in new steel so, as a temporary patch, my plan for today is to come up with some plan to seal the hole.

i'm thinking that i'll cut up a blow molded polypropylene milk jug and attach a patch using hot melt glue. that should keep winter gunk from blowing into the engine bay, the polypropylene being very good at releasing snow and ice which will keep "fender-bergs" from accumulating in the wheel well, and shouldn't be hard to remove in the spring when i effect a more permanent welded repair.

that particular position is sort of difficult to repair as there is a compound curvature involved. to fabricate a decent patch one would have to use an english wheel. i'm thinking that i'll keep an eye out for a non-rusted donor from which i can surgically remove a suitable section that can be welded into my beater.

the temp is only supposed to reach a high of 50* today so it will be a little cool to do any paint work. i still want to get some exterior rust proofing done on the trunk floor of the gt which will complete the bottom floor pan of the car. that will involve some spray rust encapsulator to seal the spot weldments, white paint, and rubberized undercoating. i was hoping for one more full 70* day for that but we probably won't get another day like that before we go into the deep freeze. it would amaze most of you guys who don't live in the rust belt that rust progresses so fast here. if you can see rust stains or lifted paint before a winter season you will have holes at those places in the spring.

in ohio you just can't put off tending to car maintenance that involves rust. one winter can finish off a car in these parts. rust never sleeps! :twisted:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II