TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:50 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:12 pm 

Got any detailed pics/tips/instructions on how to re-do the cloth on the doors?[/quote]

Thanks

I paid to have the seats done because I wanted them to be perfect. I did everything else. I carefully cut the original vinyl away from the door panel fabric. That is the only thing you can do because they are heat sealed. I clipped and folded over the original vinyl and topstitched it to the new fabric, matching the original curves, and then attached it to the front of the door panel with spray automotive adhesive; staples on the back.

I painted the door handles and window cranks with satin black, and used relective tape to restore the little orange dots.

The hardest thing was putting the seats back in because I used such a plush replacement carpet. It took forever.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:49 pm 

whitetop wrote:
I used relective tape to restore the little orange dots.

Good Tip!

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:03 am 

ellpee wrote:
Dumb question, why didn't you swap the seat rails across?
I just got through the task of swapping over the frame rails onto some gti seats.
The only thing not straight forward was that the lever to send the seat forward adn backwards bound a little on the gti seat pan. An easy fix packing out the rail with a washer at the front rail mount pont.

I did, but as one other board member said, there's one mounting point that's incompatible between the '93 vert rail and the late 90's seats.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:19 am 

After being sidelined for just over a month, priorities shifted back to Dust Bucket. I got started on prepping the carpet for the new seats last weekend and finally bolted both seats in Friday after work. The rest of the interior can wait since I now have to get the new top on, hopefully by the end of the day Sunday.
The plan last weekend was to get the vert out of the carport so we could prepare for remodeling it into a garage. However, a more pressing need has arisen...our youngest kid needs to borrow my other Metro... Copper Top. His Honda Accord was stolen yesterday :shock: and he needs a loaner until he either gets his car back (and presumably repaired) or the insurance company pays out for a new car. It's an Accord, so I figure a chop shop is having at it even as I type this.
Anyway, it took a week, but the seats are finally in and I can drive it around as long as it doesn't rain! =)
I think the water pump bearings are failing though due to that familiar squirrely sound that has preceded other pumps failing on me. It's a relatively quick fix, but tomorrow is pretty well shot due to an out of town birthday party the Mrs. and I will be attending.
Sigh...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:00 pm 

Nope. Not the pump. That leaves the alternator.
Cell Damage put a new pump in and while he was at it I also had him install Suprl1y's +10 cam sprocket - but not the performance cam... we didn't have time to do all 3. Tuning it by ear, he ended up rotating the distributor clockwise (advancing the timing) as far as it would go...

Wha...? :shock: No pinging??!?
Attachment:
Dust Bucket with the new plus 10 cam.JPG
Dust Bucket with the new plus 10 cam.JPG [ 240.27 KIB | Viewed 1911 times ]

Then, off for a spin we went.
Hoo, hoo, hoo... Wheeeeee!!!! :mrgreen:
Dust Bucket has a nice throaty voice now with a whole lot more giddyup out of that 3-banger! :lol:

Thanks Mike. That sprocket, just by it's self is awesome!!!
:D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:21 am 

Awesome!!! :-) Yay for more power!

Photo Album Squishy: From Start to Finish
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/squishycar/
Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/squishycar

CUSTOM SHIFT BOOTS: http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/uam ... id=507&p=1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:03 am 

Mrs. G-Whiz & I had a talk about Dust Bucket after she put the kibosh on a trip south to Vancouver to buy a color-matched trunk lid that I found on Craigs List for $100. Her point being that I wasn't going to get my money back out of it since the bumpers and skirts have been sand blasted all the way down to the black plastic by the central Washington desert winds.

For all the adventures and all the work Michael & I have put into it, I've been telling her straight up for a while now that I want to keep the car.
Not need...
want.

Not as a daily driver, but rather, just to go visiting, or for the occasional day trip/car meet.

She said OK! :shock:

However... and there's no negotiating on this...
she said I can only keep it under one condition.
The "pink" paint job has gotta go! :lol:

Hmmm...
Metalic candy apple red... or maybe that, with a touch of blue coloring to tinge it ever so slightly towards purple... :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:01 pm 

G-Whiz wrote:
The big reveal:
Attachment:
Burnt number 1 exhaust valve.JPG

Attachment:
Burnt number 2 exhaust valve.JPG

Sounds a bit odd but thanks for the pics. I never new what a burnt exhaust valve meant until seeing these pics. Thanks

'Noisy Cricket' build thread http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=46988

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:28 am 

:shock:
Odd...The pictures in my account album got messed up - deleted, from the looks of it - which resulted in a bunch of lost the pics on this thread where they were referenced.
I've reloaded them directly into the thread and it all looks good to go now - but now I'm wondering about my other threads!